User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Help! Missing Finder Bar...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help! Missing Finder Bar...
Track_40

2005-04-07, 22:05

I've had this PowerBook now for about 2 months and (knock on wood) everything has been flawless. Tonight however, after I used it at work all day without a hitch, I came home and powered it up. After I logged in, All I could see was my desktop, the dock, and the icons on the right end of what normally would be the white bar that stretches from left to right along the top of the display. The beachball would not stop spinning, and the white bar never appeared -- tho the shadow line where the bar is supposed to be was there.

I forced quit the Finder, and rebooted... same thing. I was able to launch the "Activity Monitor" and the white bar would appear, but then if I quit the activity monitor, the bar would disappear again.

I finally was able to get OS X Cocktail to run, and did a full cleaning. I then ran TechTool Pro IV, and all tests passed. I rebooted again, and while it seemed to hesitate for a few moments, the doc, my icons on the desktop, and the white bar along the top reappeared.

Has anyone ever seen this? Is it serious?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-07, 22:09

If it's back to looking right, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have a current backup.

(Edit: Track_40 isn't hallucinating, I misread his post, made a reply, and then realized I didn't answer his question, so I redid it. He just responded to my original post.)

Last edited by Kickaha : 2005-04-07 at 22:19.
Track_40

2005-04-07, 22:10

No, I've never messed with any skins, or custom system settings at all.

EDIT: Lol.

Last edited by Track_40 : 2005-04-07 at 22:26.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-04-07, 22:33

My G5 does this regularly. It is something to do with the SystemUIServer, or another process...

All you have to do is go into Activity monitor, find the task which is using 99.999% of the processor time and also holding up the completetion of whatever tasks happen to be going on in the menu bar and everything should return to normal without a re-boot.

I still have not got to the bottom of this OS bug, but am relieved to hear others have it.

Sometimes after you have quit the process which is being the hog (99.9% of the time it is SystemUIServer on my G5) you may need to click on some other app that is open, or move a window around (say Activity monitors one) before the menu bar sorts itself out.

If it does not work, check for the process in Activity monitor to see if it has refused to die, or force quit, and repeat until it does.. Hope that helps..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
leosmithny

2005-04-07, 23:48

That happens all the time on my G5 when the wireless connection is messed up (i.e., orange light on the express base). In fact, I cannot boot up my G5 without internet access except in safe mode. I find, like the previous poster, that some program is using 99.99% of my memory, and this will drop to zero if you stop it or turn off the internet connection. I assume that it is some program that is trying to check for updates...
Track_40

2005-04-08, 16:46

Thanks guys... I'll let you know if I learn more about it.