User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Driven to rage by butterfly keyboard...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Driven to rage by butterfly keyboard...
Dr. Bobsky

2019-12-27, 17:02

I almost did it. I actually did do it. I ordered a replacement for my three year old MBP when two keys began sticking at the same time. (and yes I occasionally eat in proximity to my laptop). I angrily went through the purchase and chose interest free financing because what's not to like about that (it does build credit), but lo-and-behold, I am an unwanted migrant to the British Isles and my credit score is shit. So no loan for me, despite the fact that I could pay it off tomorrow. And no computer either.....

Then I discovered that Apple has a full replacement for top of case in situations such as mine for no charge. Because their design is bad. Because they refused to be proactive about making it better for, what, 2.5 years? An in warranty repair for free? Sign me up. Yes it meant I had to take 2 hours to travel to the nearest Apple store while developing the flu.

I will get the computer back tomorrow with a new top case, a new keyboard, and new batteries. Not bad for a computer I was >< this close to tossing.

When bad credit saves your ass...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-27, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
When bad credit saves your ass...
Hey, man, bad credit is your best friend!
Dr. Bobsky

2019-12-28, 07:05

Spoke too soon... They actually lost my laptop.

Like poof no more computer.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-12-28, 13:07

So what, no compensation for the loss? I guess not, that kind of stuff tends to be in the small print when you turn the device in. Was the store broken into?
Dr. Bobsky

2019-12-28, 20:58

No. It just disappeared. The thing is find my mac indicates it isn't on either -- like its sitting in the back of a truck somewhere.

This is only the beginning of the saga, I'm sure....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-28, 23:49

Good grief, that's awful. I hear horror stories like this and I'm so grateful crazy things like this have never really happened to me. I'd lose my mind. It's weird in this day and age of digital this, scanned that, electronic this, GPS that, etc. that anything could "get lost" or just disappear, making this even worse. People buy goofy, unnecessary shit off Amazon 24/7 and it always manages to arrive just fine, right on time (Spongebob crotchless panties, $135 sunglasses for the dog, Diff'rent Strokes: The Complete Saga remastered, special anniversary edition Blu-ray, etc.), but someone's computer somehow vanishes...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-12-29, 01:11

Gee whillikers!!!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-12-29, 11:04

In my mind, if the store wasn't broken into, the most likely bet is that an employee stole it. It's kind of hard to just lose a computer, unless it's been stashed under a bunch of boxes or something.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-29, 12:42

That would suck worse than a genuine accident or loss (fell out of a van and lying in a ditch somewhere, etc.). Few things spin me up more than the thought of someone purposely taking my stuff, that I worked to save/pay for. I'd rather someone just punch me in the eye if they're looking to be a dick. But don't take my stuff...it isn't yours. Period, end of debate. Most of us learn this by first grade.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-01-03, 08:27

... the store finally responded to an email after ignoring calls for three days from myself as well as from AppleCare... laptop is fine, repaired and in good functioning order with a new keyboard and batteries...