Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Alex Trebek has died at 80

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Alex Trebek has died at 80
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2020-11-08, 18:03

As a lifelong (well, since my high school days in the mid-late 80's) viewer/fan, this one stings. I rarely missed this show all these years. It's the only thing I'd really always make an effort to catch. When traveling, upon reaching my stop (hotel, friend's house, etc.), one of the first things I'd always do is find out what time/channel Jeopardy came on in that particular city (always 7:30pm here in Chattanooga on the ABC affiliate, channel 9, and that was just always something I made time for; or would be sure to record if I wasn't able to catch it as it aired...the old VCR route, to modern DVR).

I knew it was coming, but still. When someone is part of your daily routine for 35+ years, it's gonna hit you a bit.

When he announced his illness earlier in 2019 - the type and stage - I figured it wouldn't be long. That he lived another year-and-a-half, filming/hosting shows and making other media appearances, is quite a thing.

PS - The thought of Alex Trebek passing within days of Sean Connery isn't lost on me, thinking back to those SNL sketches years ago.
kieran
Tweeting @kierankelly

2020-11-08, 19:20

As you said, this was clearly expected, but it's still disappointing.

We've lately gotten back into watching fairly regularly since it comes on after the nightly news on ABC ends at 7, so we've just been keeping it on.

Iv'e always been into the show because while I didn't know a vast majority, I felt like I knew enough to keep me interested.

Once his diagnosis was announced last year, I thought of who they could get to replace him. They brought Ken Jennings on as a producer and helping to do questions/answers and I feel like that was a precursor to him being the new host.

There are still shows taped through December, but I'm sure they' going to take the next couple of months to get something together, if they haven't started already.

Plus, I really hope SNL does celebrity Jeopardy this week.It's been a while and it's always one of my favorite sketches.
drewprops
Bastard

2020-11-08, 20:33

I was really struck through with an ache when my mom's phone sent that notice across. It was especially gripping since she fell and fractured her pelvis a week ago and is in a rehab hospital, about to turn 90. She watches Alex religiously every evening during the week, and the news felt so shocking despite how unlikely it would be for him to survive.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2020-11-13, 09:10

Never heard a bad word about him - which is rare for any celeb - but everything about him seemed modest and good, including the way he confronted his disease. He kept on doing what he was doing, which is a sure sign he loved it. No need for a farewell tour, or soul baring interviews, just a matter of fact, here's what's happening and here's what I'm gonna do, or keep on doing.

Who is Canada's greatest game show host?

pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2020-11-24, 18:30

Well, crap...I knew it was probably going to happen. Can't stand this guy.

But it's temporary, according to the article (several folks are going to rotate in/out for a while). But he's really the only one who makes sense for the permanent gig, in terms of his $$$ winnings, status/history with the show, that he's won multiple tournaments against all the other "best" champion players, etc. So I have a feeling he'll end up with it before it's all over. Congratulations, if it happens, as it actually does make sense. But man...Alex he ain't.

There's a solid chance some future contestant might punch him in the nose.

If he does land the permanent job, that means my Jeopardy!-watching days are likely coming to an end. Such an arrogant putz (but I might be tempted to watch on the nose-punching possibilities alone, so...).

At least my nightmare replacement - Wanda Sykes - doesn't appear to be in the running. So thank goodness for small miracles. I just had this nagging fear all throughout 2019 and this year that, somehow, she'd be named Trebek's replacement. She's ruined so many shows over the years, trying to host/emcee.

Last edited by pscates2.0 : 2020-11-24 at 18:53.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2020-11-25, 09:07

Surely there are worse options than either of Jennings or Wanda Sykes - virtually anyone from the View ?

The person has to sound knowledgeable and fair, but not like a know it all. Trebek was good at that part in particular.

Maybe they could get Meredith Viera?

pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2020-11-25, 11:14

Of course there are worse options than Jennings or Sykes (the cast of Jersey Shore, any of those "Real Housewives", RuPaul, George Stephanopoulos, Pauly Shore, Ozzy Osbourne, pretty much any full-time YouTuber or Instagram "influencer", etc.).

But Jennings and Sykes actually tend to land media/hosting gigs and have a bit of TV presence/history, so those are legitimate concerns and the reason I pointed them out.

As for Vieira, I'd be okay with that. She did a decent job on that other game show she hosted. She's charming/witty, pleasant to look at for 30 minutes and has plenty of TV/on air experience. I didn't think about her, but I'd be okay with that. Not sure if she's looking to sign a long-haul, decades-long contract at her age (66), but maybe she'd be up for 5-10 years? These things only tape a short amount of the year, like a lot of game shows, so she'd have plenty of time to relax or pursue other things.

But I bet they're gonna shoot for someone a bit younger "with legs" that they can lock in for a least 20 years or so. Jennings is 46, and if I did my math correctly, Trebek was about 44 when he started hosting the show in 1984, so that's right where Jennings is, and a solid 20 years younger than Vieira. He could easily do it for 20 years and then retire at 65-66 and hand it over to someone we probably don't even know yet.

I just hope the established tone/vibe is maintained, whoever they go with. There are already plenty of loud, obnoxious, dumbed-down and "clapping seal" game shows in existence. There needs to be at least one that doesn't totally celebrate/champion shallow dumbassery and terminal oblivitardation.

Last edited by pscates2.0 : 2020-11-25 at 11:33.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2020-11-25, 12:28

I must not be paying attention to pop culture anymore - I hardly recognize anyone who's famous "just because", and am equally clueless about more than a few who at least have some sort of skill in film/recording/arts... Not that I ever really cared, but at least I used to be aware of the names and likenesses... A sure sign that I'm getting older...

That said, ooh, ohh, I have a good one!

Canadian
Astronaut
Cool guy
Even has the right moustache!

He's a bit older than young Trebek was, at 61, but OTOH, he's an intergalactic recording artist: Chris Hadfield

kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-11-25, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I must not be paying attention to pop culture anymore - I hardly recognize anyone who's famous "just because", and am equally clueless about more than a few who at least have some sort of skill in film/recording/arts... Not that I ever really cared, but at least I used to be aware of the names and likenesses... A sure sign that I'm getting older...
Not sure I could have said it any better.

Hell, I barely know who Alex Trebek is.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2020-11-25, 21:32

...and right on cue.

While I think Jennings is an arrogant twat with the personality of a graham cracker, I'm also not a fan of people hanging others via ancient Tweets.

Because you know damn well as soon as he was announced for the temporary fill-in gig, a bunch of Professional Pearl Clutcher™ (PPC) busybodies went digging through a decade-plus worth of Tweets looking for something "problematic" to hang him on. Because that's what people do now.

And $5 says Jeopardy ultimately pussies out, removes Jennings from the hosting slot, issues some groveling, buzzword-laden "apology" to appease the offense artisans and...hires Wanda Sykes.

But seriously, it's a good thing some people are always perfect and have never said or done anything tacky, off-color or questionable. I didn't realize those folks actually existed in the real world.

Still, Jennings is an idiot - and should be savvy enough, having been a media figure and in the public eye for a long time - for saying things like that, especially on social media for all to see. Hard to feel sorry for some people who haven't figured this out after 10+ years. How many celebrities or public figures - pop singers, actors, athletes, corporate heads, politicians, members of the press and academia, etc. - have stepped on their own crank (and gotten themselves fired from a lucrative gig) by being a moron on Twitter? Dozens and dozens, I'm sure.
¡Damned!

2020-11-26, 01:38

I think the true heir, Will Ferrell, should take it over. Why not? He's smart, quick-witted, and not just funny, but clever.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2020-11-26, 03:57

He’d have to really keep himself reined in and focused. I don’t know.

He could be one of the upcoming temporary ones, which would be a funny, sweet tribute for a few episodes, for sure. I bet they’ve lined him up for that at least. I have a feeling he was one of the people they contacted/asked right away. I do think it would be neat if he did so, and actually did it completely straight, out of respect. You don’t wanna ham it up and do shtick, being the reason people don’t get to play a true, full serious match and earn as much as they possibly can. I know if I finally ever made it on and the temporary guest host just acted silly the entire time, I’d be pissed.

“Hey, assholes...I’ve spent 17 years trying to get on as a contestant, I finally do and only seven questions get asked the entire episode because Mr. Showbiz/Johnny Chuckles here has to crack jokes and perform mprov the entire time?!”

Sometimes I think they might surprise everyone and go with a total unknown who comes with no “baggage” of any kind, and would be a blank, clean slate who’d just naturally grow into the show as time went on? There’s nothing saying Trebek’s replacement has to be a known, famous figure. They might go the “star-maker” route and make someone’s career right in front of our eyes?

I still think Jennings gets the job, assuming his past Tweets don’t sink him. Depends on the producers/studio, and how much importance they place on the Twitter offense industry. From “bug off and lighten up, FFS” to “we’re severing all ties with Mr. Jennings effective immediately”, and all points in between.

Last edited by pscates2.0 : 2020-11-26 at 04:24.