User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

newbie question: to buy now, or to wait?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
newbie question: to buy now, or to wait?
brooklyn_seahawk

2005-10-13, 16:22

Hi folks,

As a newbie to all of this and with all of the new Apple products in the past couple months I am at a bit of a loss of what to do...

I have been using my faithful 550 TiBook for the past three years, but I fear it has sustained a serious screen problem rendering it basically useless. So I definitely will need a new laptop by the end of next week at the latest!

The only thing stopping me from buying the 12" iBook is the possibility of new Powerbooks coming out in the next few days. If that's the case, do the prices of the current models typically drop? 10%, 20%?? I'm willing to pay 1250 or so for a 12" PB, so I am at a bit of a crossroad as to what to do...

Thanks to all who know more about Apple's pricing policies than I do...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-13, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn_seahawk
So I definitely will need a new laptop by the end of next week at the latest!
So wait until the end of next week. If you can wait until then, you do want to.

Quote:
The only thing stopping me from buying the 12" iBook is the possibility of new Powerbooks coming out in the next few days. If that's the case, do the prices of the current models typically drop? 10%, 20%?
Apple won't offer previous models as new (for discount prices), but they will offer previous models as refurbished, which I'm told are really fine quality (including full eligibility for warranty, so no increased risk).

Quote:
? I'm willing to pay 1250 or so for a 12" PB, so I am at a bit of a crossroad as to what to do...
The previous-generation 12-inch PowerBooks are currently available at the refurbished store for $1299/$1449, depending on the configuration.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2005-10-13, 16:59

buy the cheapest model you can. It looks like a 14" iBook would be best for you.
brooklyn_seahawk

2005-10-13, 17:07

Thanks for the replies on how the pricing system tends to work!

So is it correct to assume that iBook pricing (both new and refurb) will be unaffected by any upcoming Powerbook release?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-13, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn_seahawk
So is it correct to assume that iBook pricing (both new and refurb) will be unaffected by any upcoming Powerbook release?
Yeah, that's a very reasonable assumption. I'd buy an iBook and get a 3rd party RAM upgrade (I'd recommend a 1 GB chip).