User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Buying an ibook. Need advice!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Buying an ibook. Need advice!
diacritic

2005-01-09, 20:36

Hi I'm buying an ibook on amazon.com. Today. No I can't buy it Wednesday. I must buy it now or not buy it at all.

If apple announces a new operating system (Tiger) or new software suite (one that is bundled into the system: a new version of Appleworks, maybe something called iwork?) during the macworld expo will they be kind enough to give me the CDs for the new software?

Thanks!

edit: I posted this first on Apple's forums, but it seems anything talking about future products is not allowed there. . . .
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-01-09, 22:47

You might be lucky... if they release it on that day. However, I feel that tiger is still months away. And while iLife '05 might be released, I don't think Apple will give you an update. . .

The trick is, if you NEED an iBook NOW, buy it... the software it comes with is great and it will serve you well. But if you don't NEED it right NOW, then wait... no point spending money if you don't need it. Sure down the road you might, but then is not now.

Have fun with your new iBook!

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-01-09, 23:09

Doubtful you'll get free CDs.

At best, they would have an update program where you could get the CDs in the mail for a $20 fee, if it was announced at MWSF. It would likely occur with Tiger, but unlikely for iLife or iWork. I'd guess they may have some sort of upgrade fee for Appleworks, but that's speculation on my part.
iBookNewbie

2005-01-10, 12:33

don;t they have a 30 day grace period to honour any changes/updates??? I remember reading somewhere on another mac user site that apple shops/authorised dealers do that.......
Akumulator

2005-01-10, 13:05

Hmmm... I see Amazon has $100 rebate on iBooks. That along with no tax and free shipping. Now I want to get one.

(Amazon still doesn't charge tax do they? It's been awhile)
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-01-10, 13:08

I think Amazon only charges tax in Washington or wherever their main operation is.
diacritic

2005-01-10, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
Hmmm... I see Amazon has $100 rebate on iBooks. That along with no tax and free shipping. Now I want to get one.

(Amazon still doesn't charge tax do they? It's been awhile)
Yeah, the price is amazing. couple that $900 ibook (after rebate) with a bunch of Amazon gift certificates that I have -- that means i'm getting an amazing price on the notebook...
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-01-11, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
I think Amazon only charges tax in Washington or wherever their main operation is.
I dont think they even charge sales tax in WA. I ordered some stuff from them last month, sending maybe 10 miles across Lake Washington, and I don't think there was sales tax on that. Off the top of my head, Apple is the biggest online store to charge sales tax.