User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Newbie Question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Newbie Question
Stephen Wright

2005-01-21, 03:00

Hello one and all, I was wondering if you could help me out a little here. Im finally fedup to the back teeth of Windows and this new Mini Mac (keep hearing do you want fries with that) looks just the ticket. Ive never had a Mac before although i have used Linux a bit so i know what the command line is :-)
While the CPU on the mini does seem on the slow side i have been told its much more efficient that the Pentiums, so i should be cool there. I'm looking at the model with the larger drive and tweeked cpu.

I'll be doing some graphics and web development with the macromedia suite, and using the built in network card to connect to my server at home, and connecting to the net via USB, do you think 512mb of ram will cope ok???

With this being my first Mac and the first machine someone else has built for a long time i dont really want to prise it apart on the first day to slip a 1Gb dimm inside :-)

is there anything i should be aware of???

Regards

Steve
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-21, 03:11

Pull it apart and sell the 256 chip to me
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-01-21, 03:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wright
Hello one and all, I was wondering if you could help me out a little here. Im finally fedup to the back teeth of Windows and this new Mini Mac (keep hearing do you want fries with that) looks just the ticket. Ive never had a Mac before although i have used Linux a bit so i know what the command line is :-)
While the CPU on the mini does seem on the slow side i have been told its much more efficient that the Pentiums, so i should be cool there. I'm looking at the model with the larger drive and tweeked cpu.
What you've been told about CPUs is correct, and the beefed-up model sounds like the right choice for you.
Quote:
I'll be doing some graphics and web development with the macromedia suite, and using the built in network card to connect to my server at home, and connecting to the net via USB, do you think 512mb of ram will cope ok???
Yeah, it will get the job done just fine. 1 GB would of course be better, but way less economical. Again, it sounds like the right choice for your needs. BUT - you should plan on connecting to the net via ethernet, rather than USB. There are little or no *good* USB networking drivers, and ethernet just works. You should have no problem using your DSL or Cable modem with ethernet instead.
Quote:
With this being my first Mac and the first machine someone else has built for a long time i dont really want to prise it apart on the first day to slip a 1Gb dimm inside :-)
Again, a good choice. You can look forward to a future speed boost on the day that the warranty expires and you are brave enough to crack open the box and pop in a reasonably-priced 3rd party 1 gig DIMM.

So, other than the USB for internet access, it sounds like you are on the right track.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-01-21, 04:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wright
…using the built in network card to connect to my server at home, and connecting to the net via USB…
As FFL said, you'd probably be better off with a network topology more like this:

Code:
internet... | modem | | ethernet switch/router--------your home server | | Mac Mini
That way, you can do all of your networking stuff on the one built in network port, and have your home server exposed to the internet (assuming this is a benefit to you!) Ethernet switches are way cheap. I'd be tempted to recommend a Linksys WRT54G because (1) you get wireless built in as well, for future coolness with laptops etc, and (2) it has upgradable firmware, allowing you to use it as a light hardware firewall.

edit: btw, it's nice to see another Stephen who spells his name correctly!
chipz

2005-01-21, 04:59

Consider a BTO from the Apple Online Store. I priced a Mac Mini with the 1.42 GHz proc. 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD, BT, Airport Extreme Card and 3 Year Apple Care for $1052. It should do all you ask of it. The G4 proc is a lot better than the Pentium. The best part is the OS. OS X is the most stable OS I've ever worked with. I switched over to a Mac almost three years ago and I haven't looked back since. Go for it!

TCAT
nomorewindows

2005-01-21, 15:26

I switched a couple of months ago. All I can say is, you will never regret it! If the universe is a just place, I will never have to touch Windoze again.

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-01-21, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Ethernet switches are way cheap. I'd be tempted to recommend a Linksys WRT54G because (1) you get wireless built in as well, for future coolness with laptops etc, and (2) it has upgradable firmware, allowing you to use it as a light hardware firewall.
i'd like to echo everyone else on the use a router/switch idea and get all your computers onto the internet over ethernet wire. i have the LinkSys WRT54g (i'm pretty sure its the one i have), and its a nice little machine. several ports for good old ethernet cable, and wireless is real nice too. u could even BTO an airport card and do the mini wirelessly.
Stephen Wright

2005-01-24, 10:30

Thanks for your thoughts, I will be making the jump as soon as funds allow, nice to see so many nice peeps on here :-)