User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Printer / Scanner Recomendations

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Printer / Scanner Recomendations
fosterhere

2005-01-06, 11:43

We just upgraded and bought two new pwerbook G4's. A 15 and a 12 both running OSX 10.3.4. But now our old beloved Epson 875DCS photo printer is not supported. Lots of talk on the web about how epson left the 875DCS out in the cold with no OSX driver. I downloaded gimp-print-4.2.7-0 and installed it it found the epson usb printer but nothing happens. We also have a flat bed scanner that is USB I have not loaded the driver I have DL yet to find out if it will work printing being more important than scanning.

So my question is since photo printers and scanners have become soo cheep should we just get a new one? We saw a nice compact epson printer/scaner combo unit in the apple store and if it wasn't out of stock we would have gotten it. Epson Stylus CX6600 Photo Printer, Copier, Scanner

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.11.1.0.6.12

Anyone have any opinions or suggestions on this ?

Thanks
Joe
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-06, 13:30

Hey

1. Do an online search for the particular model you want first before deciding to buy at a store like Apple (or Jessops, or Dixons etc—you have these in the US right?), you may be able to save quite a bit of money.

2. PCPRO—maybe the most well respected PC magazine in the UK—carried out an exhaustive printer group test (some tests ran for 12 months or more) and published their results at the end of 2004. They sang the praises of the Epson R800, despite it being a relatively old model. It excelled in many test areas, particularly output quality and ink durability. It is not a cheap printer, however. Maybe you could start your research with this model?

Unfortunately, it is my brother who subscribes to the magazine so I cannot tell you the machines placed second and third, nor the best bang-for-your-buck machine. Hope this helps.

bouncy bouncy
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-06, 13:37

Purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion... I moved this one over there and deleted your two duplicate threads. Everything should be cleared up now.

Oh, and you can't link to the Apple store since it's session-based. That link may have worked when you posted it but it doesn't work anymore. Here is a link to the Epson CX6600 you mentioned, from Epson's store. Hopefully it's not a time-based one like Apple so this will work.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-01-06, 20:07

I have an Epson CX5200, which should be more or less similar to the 6600. It works pretty well (for printing/scanning/copying). The only problem I have with it is that it has a really loud paper loading noise. You shouldn't have much of a problem with the drivers - the original 5200 scanner drivers didn't work, but they released a (good) working update, so it looks like they care about the Mac side of things at least a bit.
fosterhere

2005-01-06, 22:35

I got the Epson Stylus CX6600 I'm very happy with it so far. As soon as I installed the drivers I could copy, scan, print, I could even put in my Leica digital camera memory card and print out a 4 x 6 photo. The Epson software that comes with it is nasty. It was a fairly simple install on 4 laptops. a 12" Powerbook G4 a 15" Powerbook G4 a white G3 iBook and an old OS 9 G3 WallStreet. The WallStreet hiccuped a little, but we got it to work.