User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Please Don't Trust Us, Inc®

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Please Don't Trust Us, Inc®
Page 7 of 8 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-15, 15:53

Yes and no.

Quote:
Update: Apple spokesperson Shane Bauer told The Verge that though the CSAM detection feature is no longer mentioned on its website, plans for CSAM detection have not changed since September, which means CSAM detection is still coming in the future.

"Based on feedback from customers, advocacy groups, researchers, and others, we have decided to take additional time over the coming months to collect input and make improvements before releasing these critically important child safety features," Apple said in September.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-15, 16:08

So, listening with closed ears.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-29, 19:20

I'm not sure about the veracity of this report, but if true then !

Dumb human: "Hey, Alexa, give me something challenging to do."

Alexa: "Okay, try this. Find your dad's Colt 45 revolver, remove all but one cartridge, give the drum a spin, draw the hammer back …"

Jeff Bezos: "WTF did we just do?"

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-29, 20:25

It was likely one of those stupid challenges from Tic Toc and some point to ask Alexa if it was okay to put a penny in a plug. If enough people ask, maybe it starts to think it's okay?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-30, 12:53

AI is a long ways away from being practical. There are common sense things that computers cannot yet overcome.

Which is why we should not be relying on them for such things.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-30, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I'm not sure about the veracity of this report, but if true then !
Well, it's true enough that Amazon says they've fixed it.

(Which… I'm not sure how. They can blacklist that particular suggestion, yes, but unless they outright removed the challenge command altogether, things like these will continue to happen.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-30, 13:34

This stuff is evil. This won’t even be close to the worst thing that’ll come from these “smart assistants”.

The “Stab Your Boomer Parents, Who Will NEVER Understand You, While They Sleep” Challenge will probably result in some changes/action.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-30, 13:39

I asked Siri what I can stick in a plug, just for kicks. It came up with a list of things talking about the dangers of stick forks and things into outlets. Might have been different a few days ago.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-30, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I asked Siri what I can stick in a plug, just for kicks. It came up with a list of things talking about the dangers of stick forks and things into outlets. Might have been different a few days ago.
Yeah, hard to say if Apple made a quick "CHANGE THAT RIGHT NOW!!" decision, or if they saw this crap coming and told Siri to NOT!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-07, 12:32

I'm still laughing.

In related news, a group of foxes shared their favorite chicken house construction tips/tricks.

Because, you know...They Care™. 🦊🦊🔨
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-15, 15:03

SYSJOKER — Backdoor for Windows, macOS, and Linux went undetected until now
Ouch.
Quote:
Researchers have uncovered a never-before-seen backdoor written from scratch for systems running Windows, macOS, or Linux that remained undetected by virtually all malware scanning engines.
Analyses of the Windows version (by Intezer) and the version for Macs (by researcher Patrick Wardle) found that SysJoker provides advanced backdoor capabilities. Executable files for both the Windows and macOS versions had the suffix .ts. Intezer said that may be an indication the file masqueraded as a type script app spread after being sneaked into the npm JavaScript repository. Intezer went on to say that SysJoker masquerades as a system update.
Once again, a repo is the attack vector. This is going to make trusting formerly "safe" repos a concern for all.

Quote:
SysJoker is written in C++, and as of Tuesday, the Linux and macOS versions were fully undetected on the VirusTotal malware search engine. The backdoor generates its control-server domain by decoding a string retrieved from a text file hosted on Google Drive. During the time the researchers were analyzing it, the server changed three times, indicating the attacker was active and monitoring for infected machines.
Actively changing updates on the Google Drive is bad. I'm looking forward to seeing how to pinpoint this one. I would hate for my stuff to be impacted. While I don't use npm much, I'm near positive HomeBridge does and I use it for my HomeKit setup, among other things.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-15, 15:37

Not sure why they are calling it a backdoor, it's malware.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-16, 15:46

And it's Apple's turn, again. Apparently Safari 15 (all platforms) is leaking user activity, including what is happening in all open tabs. Using privet mode limits the tracking to just one tab from the sounds of things. How to stop it? Turn off JavaScript support.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22...users-identity
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-28, 12:17

China spying?

Never!

If this app were in the U.S. App Store it would be deleted. But, it's China, so it's not. The more of this type of stuff that happens, the more I believe Apple is only all about "privacy" where it is legally permitted. At some point, they will not be able to be trusted at all, any more than Google or Facebook.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-16, 11:48

Google Launching Privacy Sandbox to Limit Ad Tracking on Android, Calls 'Blunt Approaches' Like Apple's 'Ineffective'

Facebook might disagree.

Extra points for them suddenly acting as though such things matter, and are important.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-02-16, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Google Launching Privacy Sandbox to Limit Ad Tracking on Android, Calls 'Blunt Approaches' Like Apple's 'Ineffective'

Facebook might disagree.

Extra points for them suddenly acting as though such things matter, and are important.
Google will continue to move more into hardware in the future, so they can likely afford to take a hit on ads, but that’s just a guess.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-21, 12:29

I'm a bit confused by this article from AI. The claim is that Apple's AirTag security is lacking, and to prove it a researcher built a "clone" that gets around Apple's security.

So, the gist of the article is that any random person can use an "AirTag" to stalk someone, and that the victim will never have any idea that they are being stalked. "You see," they say, "there are weaknesses in the AirTags and we've just proven it!"

Their "proof"? They made a 100% "NOT AirTag" and used that to prove that AirTags are vulnerable. The device in question is not an AirTag (and never was), does not have a serial number issued by Apple, nor does it connect to any Apple ID.

In other words, it's a 3rd-party device.

Is there someone who understands the logic behind this "attack"?

chucker

2022-02-21, 14:00

I think they’re complaining that adding your own device to Find My is too easy? I’m not sure.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-02-21, 15:39

This has been an issue with third part Bluetooth trackers and IOT devices for years now. The fact that AirTags have the same issue is no surprise.
chucker

2022-02-21, 18:09

This isn't really about AirTags, but about Find My — basically, their custom device just keeps re-announcing itself under new names.

I suspect Apple can't fix this other than by blocking non-whitelisted third parties, which no doubt people will complain about…
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-02-21, 18:39

Or just make it so users have to authorize adding things to the find my list. Seems like a simpler solution.

Personally I have a better solution, I leave location services off unless I need it, which isn’t very often.

Last edited by PB PM : 2022-02-21 at 18:54.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-05, 11:01

Sorta related, and involving Apple, so...

Scammers Who Stole $1.5 Million From Apple Sentenced to Combined 13 Years in Jail

First...good.

Second...

Quote:
It was reported in September 2021 that two scammers developed a scheme to use point-of-sale devices stolen from Apple stores to generate fraudulent Apple gift cards between 2015 and 2017.

The scam was enabled through a handheld employee-only point-of-sale device called an "Isaac." Retail employees carry Isaacs around in the store, allowing them to check stock and sell products to customers wherever they are.

One of the scammers simply walked into Apple Stores across the country and waited for opportune moments to steal an Isaac device. They then sat outside the same store, still connected to its Wi-Fi network, and used the logged-in employee account on the Isaac to acquire thousands of dollars worth of digital gift cards.

That easy, huh? Good grief.

There's always an angle. There are people who wake up every day looking to get over. The idea of just working a regular gig never occurs to them. They'd rather gamble their freedom and pursue this sort of thing, knowing it can't possibly last or go unanswered. There's something in the brain/personality makeup of some that just makes this sort of existence seem "normal"; in the very way that thing is missing (hopefully) in most of us.

Tech is a double-edged sword...for all the joy, goodness and convenience it's brought us over the past 20+ years, there's this whole wide open, "Wild West" aspect to it as well. Our data/information/privacy is probably more in jeopardy (and constantly under attack) than ever before. We live our lives online (banking, bills, socializing, etc.) and, with that, comes that feeling that you're jumping into a swimming pool with some sharks and alligators lurking about as well. They're out there, by the gazillions, waiting to find an easy score.

These clowns above...they're going to prison. They didn't steal an apple (lower-case "a") or a chicken so they wouldn't starve. They put effort into screwing over others, and probably thinking "what's a big company like Apple going to care...this is chump change to them". Millions of anything is chump change to no one, I assure you. I can't feel bad for those doing this kind of stuff.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
On a couple of occasions over the past 20 years I've turned down/declined to go in with a "friend of a friend of a friend" on something that I knew was "too good to be true" (and legally questionable, at best). Yeah, I probably could've made some money and had some "nice things" as a result. But I also possess the grounded, increasingly-rare(?) ability to look ahead to the future for more than 17 minutes, and realize "this isn't worth ongoing involuntary butt-fuckings - and God knows what else - in state prison for the foreseeable future", so it's never hard for me to decline/ignore shady, questionable stuff.

I don't wanna disappoint/break my Mom's heart, to be honest. She should see me on Fridays for grocery/errand day and Sundays for lunch/game shows...not visiting rooms, through glass and a nasty phone receiver, once a month. I genuinely feel sorry for those who've never had someone to hold them to a better standard.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-04-05, 14:53

Let’s not forget that Steve Jobs and Waze started out hacking phone lines to make free phone calls. Karma.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-05, 15:38

Quote:
in the very way that thing is missing (hopefully) in most of us.
It is not missing, I assure you. The difference is that some of us choose to restrain it; to bury the urge down deep so that we don't spend enough time dwelling on it for it to come to the surface.

The difference between good and evil is choice.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-04-18, 14:41

And another reason not to get Smart junk. This smart home company up and disappeared over the weekend. All that hardware is now useless.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...s-smart-homes/
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-18, 15:00

Connect at your own risk.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-18, 15:03

Or throw in with companies who have a bit of longevity and track record. All these banks, home security, food delivery and other outfits that have sprung up in the past 3-5 years… how many will be here in 10 years? Five? Some (maybe), but not all. Or most, I’m betting. We’ve become a very disposable, in-and-out culture. I don’t think much of anything is truly made to last, when I look around.
chucker

2022-04-18, 15:13

They couldn’t have picked a funnier slogan.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-04-18, 18:49

Quote:
Or throw in with companies who have a bit of longevity and track record.
The article says it was one of the companies Apple launched HomeKit with, hard to believe Apple would partner with a group they didn’t at least check out first. Clearly HomeKit just doesn’t have the user base to support many companies.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-18, 19:16

Apple's been known to make some iffy, questionable decisions over the years. They don't do everything perfectly.

But, yeah...what you said also applies.