Working Out – And Suffering

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Working Out – And Suffering
Page 9 of 9 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-17, 18:16

Crap Ken. I was gonna pick up a new habit. Now you've gone and ruined my plans with that video.

I was actually planning to revive this thread today to check in on progress for others.

I'm still keeping at it. Today I realized it has been a year since I stabilized my weight where it is now!

I'm pretty excited about this personally! I'm still logging my meals daily and generally watching what I'm eating. I'm not overdoing any one thing and I only go over my calorie goal on rare occasions. Still working out 5 days with hard workouts and light on Sat and Sun.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-06-19, 18:39

I’ve been taking the boys on bike rides 3-4 times a week on a cross country bike and it’s been beating up the tender bits. The bike is mostly sized right, maybe slightly aggressive with the bar reach, but no matter what I tried, I couldn’t get the seat right. It’s like the nose is pitched slightly up and there isn’t enough play in the forward tilt adjustment to level it out. Bad enough that it seems to me either the post or seat, or both, are slightly out of spec. Also, it’s probably just a bit narrow for me at the sit bones, which combined with the upward tilt, only exaggerated its, shall we say, “probing” qualities.

I started looking at new saddles right away when I came across a suspension seat post from Kinekt. I liked this one for the weight capacity, and rebound damping and preload adjustment, and generous seat tilt adjustment.

I can say that it works quite nicely. The seat is now pitched ever so slightly forward: the bar reach is suddenly better, and more importantly my balls aren’t getting batted around.

As an added benefit I’ve got is set to glide over expansion joints, sidewalk curb cuts, and gravel shoulders without bobbing up and down while pedalling.

Between cycling and walking I’ve lowered my resting heart rate by 8bpm. Haven’t lost a pound though.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-08, 14:52

Heartbreaking.

The American military is running out of candidates because we're too fat!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-08, 15:06

I'd like to be surprised, but by the time I was getting out I was just barely in regs. They actually got tighter after I left.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2022-08-20, 00:00

Figured I'd pop in for an update. I'm down to 240, but muscle is far more noticeable now. 15 more to hit my ideal weight I want to be.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-15, 10:37

Checking in on everyone, how's the working out going?

I'm still doing the same routine daily/weekly and maintaining my weight/physique. I'm not chiseled by any means, but I am now more muscle than fat! Still have a little spare tire. Not sure how much I want to make sure that is completely gone just because that seems like I'll be down too low in the body fat range.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-11-15, 12:41

I haven't been to the gym for over 4 months. But, I've been walking 3 miles consistently every morning before work, so I'm still burning excess calories. My plan is to build a bench for my shop so I can lift weights at home, and I'm going to do that in the next couple months.

I've been bouncing between 170 and 175, and having a terrible time getting back below 170. But, I've been super busy with other stuff and (winterizing the house and camper and other "getting the place ready for winter" chores). I haven't given up and am still eating healthy.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-15, 13:19

I have to say, if I didn't have the gym in my house, I would not be consistent at all. Over sleep this day, projects ate my time that day.... you know, life happens.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-11-15, 15:24

Yeah, that was my greatest difficulty. In order to squeeze in time at the gym, I was getting up at 4:40am so I could be at the gym when they opened at 5. Lift for 45 minutes and cardio for 45 minutes, then home for a power nap, shower, and off to work. It was crushing me sleep-wise, and no other time in the day was working, so I juggled some things and started going in the evenings, but the place was always swamped and equipment in use by Insta-posers and Face-lifters, all grunting for the camera and each other.

So I quit going. Trying to get the time to build a bench, and then I'll get back at it. I have enough weights at home to keep myself tuned up, and I plan to install a pull-up bar so I can hit everything that needs hitting.

I've not given up by any means, just restructuring through the next couple months so I'm not reliant on 3rd-parties for my health.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-11-15, 22:31

I’m still on the Peloton 50-80 minutes per day burning usually an avg of 2000cal per day. I’m still drinking my beers and enjoying good food whenever I want. I went from 175 and bound between 180-185. I’m happy. If I cut some shit out for a couple of weeks I could easily cut.

We just got another puppy recently so with 3 dogs, 14 years, 9 months, and 3 months times at a premium. I haven’t lifted as much. We’re building a new house too so my gym has become a storage unit for stuff.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-16, 09:56

Yontsey, is the 2000cal/d average total for the day or on the bike?

I think I'm around 2200cal/d total with my workouts getting ~250cal be it run or weights. It seems like we do roughly the same level of work or "active calories" using the Watch and Fitness and the metric.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-06, 11:37

I ordered an exercise bike last week and it will be here next week at some point. It was down to $297 when I ordered it.

There are a number of people posting using it with Fitness+ and since I'm in on all of Apple's Kool-aide (against my better judgement) I will be able to add it to my workout routines. Mrs T is pretty excited about it as well because she hates running where I happen to really enjoy it.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-01-06, 18:00

I bought a bench and dropped my Y membership.

BNUT!

I haven't used it yet. We started this new program at work and suddenly I am working 12 hour days.

Oddly enough, I lost 5 pounds last week and two pounds this week without working out at all. Even my daily 3-mile walk is disrupted. Yet, I'm still losing weight just from the brain calorie burn.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-01-27, 17:52

Checking in, because there's no better place for it!

I have had absolutely zero time for AppleNova. This government grant program we are involved with has me working 10-12 house per day, plus 4-6 on Sunday. I'm so swamped I don't know what side is up or down. We've seen a 400% increase in business over the last month and a half, and the business is running at maximum capacity. We literally cannot get more product than we are selling. It's just bonkers!

And that thing about your brain burning 25% of your body's caloric intake? Seriously!

I haven't even though about the gym. I've stopped my daily 3-mile walk because I have no time. I am getting significantly less exercise than I was. My diet is out the window. I'm eating almost as much as I was pre-diet 2 years ago (albeit much healthier). And, yet, I'm not only holding my own around 170, but I'm losing ~one pound/week.

Apparently, my brain is hungry as hell and is burning as many calories as my body was in full-tilt lose-weight mode!

Thinking is hard!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-01-28, 01:01

Holy moly! I can't remember what you're doing, but I'm glad that you're alive and doing well!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-28, 18:32

Nice to see you check in and not chunking out!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-02, 18:23

I'm still at it five times a week for solid workout and the weekends with light workouts. I reached a new milestone yesterday:

I'm proud of me. I haven't always felt like it but I have stuck to it. Even when I have been sick I've always done something.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-11-03, 18:09

I've been a bit "lazy" this year. I have to precede that by pointing out that I was working 60-70 hours/week from January until June and had no time for it. Then, the good habits fell off and I've been bust for a bit.

I have my head set on Monday, though. Got to get back at it.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-24, 14:07

I actually worked out yesterday and today. I can assure you, I almost skipped today's workout. I wanted to skip it. Even told Mrs T I thought about skipping it... then went and did it because it would be the first domino of many in me not working out anymore.

I did enjoy so really good deserts though!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-12, 14:30

I had a military friend "challenge me" to how long I could hold a plank.

I'm just going to tell you I had no idea I could hold it that long. The first lap is when I started to quiver a little in my muscles. The second is when I started resembling a flag in a hurricane. Only my toes and elbows were touching the mats, but I was waving a bit. I truly collapsed at the 5:00.33 second mark.

I actually am a little dumbfounded by this. I didn't give myself credit for being able to hold my plank for that long. I'm thrilled though to be assured!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-12, 14:42

Good job, Turtle!

If I ever need to cross a narrow creek without getting my feet wet, I'll give you call!