User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

3 new Mac mini models, what's everyones best guess?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
3 new Mac mini models, what's everyones best guess?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
TerryG

2005-07-22, 13:36

Hello everyone! I am interested in hearing everyone ideas on the 3 new Mac mini models soon to be released, if what's reported so far is correct of prices at $499, $599, $699.
I think the base $499 model will add.

512 standard Ram
1.25 Ghz upgraded to 1.42Ghz
40GB HD upgraded to 80GB 5,200 rpm drive

$599 model will add
DVD-super drive replacing the combo drive.
64MB graphics card replacing the 32MB Radeon 9200 card.

$699 model will add
G5 chip replacing the G4
7,200 rpm HD
wireless mouse/keyboard included

Do these changes seem reasonable for an update?
flail

2005-07-22, 13:39

Yeah a big hell no on the G5.

But what do I know!
rickag

2005-07-22, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryG
Hello everyone! I am interested in hearing everyone ideas on the 3 new Mac mini models soon to be released, if what's reported so far is correct of prices at $499, $599, $699.
I think the base $499 model will add.

512 standard Ram
1.25 Ghz upgraded to 1.42Ghz
40GB HD upgraded to 80GB 5,200 rpm drive

$599 model will add
DVD-super drive replacing the combo drive.
64MB graphics card replacing the 32MB Radeon 9200 card.

$699 model will add
1.67 Ghz G4 Small Form Factor with upgradable graphics board
7,200 rpm HD
wireless mouse/keyboard included

Do these changes seem reasonable for an update?
I only made a minor change to your wish list, although yours' is more plausible. Which means I really, really, really don't think Apple will ever, ever make a SFF computer, because the chances of a G5 going into a mini Mac are remote, Tibetan monastery remote. Always nice to wish though.

Just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-07-22, 13:55

I think they should just have 2 or 3 models with slight changes...

$499 Combo
$599 Superdrive
$699 Airport Extreme/Bluetooth keyboard + Superdrive

All should share a 1.67Ghz G4
80GB HD
512MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9200
etc
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-22, 14:07

ThinkSecret just updated this story with this nugget (looks like the 'nut may be right on his $699 wish):

Quote:
Additional sources have confirmed that the Mac mini will be updated early next week alongside the iBook. The new high-end Mac mini configuration, for $699, is said to feature AirPort Extreme, BlueTooth, and SuperDrive standard. The mid-range model is expected to come standard with AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth, but it's unclear if the low-end model will too.
Nice.

BTW, I agree with 'nut's take on it. Stop holding back and crippling machines so much. Give them all a respectable baseline of core features/specs (5400rpm drives, 512MB RAM, good graphics, etc.) and simply differentiate the line by optical drive and hard drive capacity (MAYBE Bluetooth).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-07-22 at 14:10.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-22, 14:27

BTW, just confirming my theory: after nearly a week of nothing to say, MOSR suddenly comes out and updates their page with talk of iBooks and minis, talking about widescreen displays on the iBooks and $499/599/699 for the mini.

They go on to say "more on this in the days to come", which is code for "whenever AppleInsider and ThinkSecret posts new updates we can glom onto and rephrase".

Goons.

Anyone else here believe that if ThinkSecret never updated their site this week with the iBook/mini stuff, MOSR would STILL have a one-week old front page?

This has happened about half a bazillion times. 1-2 days after AppleInsider and ThinkSecret come out with good, juicy (and RELIABLE, grounded-in-reality) info, MOSR follows it with "we were under an embargo, but can now safely tell you what we've know for about seven weeks...", and then proceed to repeat everything ThinkSecret or AppleInsider posted 24-48 hours earlier.

Uh, yeah...
mvalenstein

2005-07-22, 14:34

I think that Apple should put airport in ALL mac mini's....
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-07-22, 14:41

As a Mini owner I'll give my take on what needs to be improved.

Base $499
512 standard Ram
1.25 Ghz
40GB HD at 5200RPM
64MB graphics card
Combo drive

$599
1.42 Ghz
512 RAM
60GB 7200 RPM
Superdrive
64MB graphics card

$699 model will add
1.42 Ghz
1GB RAM
80 GB 7,200 rpm HD
64MB graphics card
Superdrive
mouse/keyboard included
Annon

Send a message via ICQ to Annon Send a message via AIM to Annon  
2005-07-22, 14:43

No way they include the wireless keyboard and mouse with the $699 model. I don't expect them to include any keyboards, just so that they can keep the box small and looking more like a consumer electronic device instead of a computer.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-07-22, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annon
No way they include the wireless keyboard and mouse with the $699 model. I don't expect them to include any keyboards, just so that they can keep the box small and looking more like a consumer electronic device instead of a computer.
this is true. part of my prediction was because i duh...forgot that keyboard and mouse arent included....but now that i do remember that. i think it may be even more likely. the 699 model could be an Apple Store (online and retail) exclusive that comes with wireless keyboard and mouse. Would make more direct sales and increased margins and satisfy those who want a keyboard/mouse included
zippy
Veteran Member

2005-07-22, 15:33

I think many are being a bit too optimistic. For instance, if you take the existing $599 model and select 1 GB RAM and the Superdrive alone, it takes you to $924. Do you really think they'll give you these, plus a faster hard drive and better video card for only $699? There'd never be a reason for anyone to do a BTO at that point.

Realistically, I'd guess they will have 512 RAM as a standard and maybe a bump in processor speed and that's about it. As a stretch, I can see airport extreme become standard or maybe a Firewire 800. In the end, they'll leave plenty of items as BTO options -IMHO.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-22, 15:43

I don't think anyone in the Mac mini target crowd gives two flips about FireWire 800. Besides, it would be on the iMac G5 before it would the mini or iBook (or eMac).

Also, there's no rule saying they have to stay within the boundaries of the current BTO stuff. Might be a whole new set of rules and features we're not even aware of that could be accounting for that $699 price?

Just a possibility. We can't always look to the past to figure this stuff out. Apple tends to zag when we all zig.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-07-22 at 15:45.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-07-22, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
I think many are being a bit too optimistic. For instance, if you take the existing $599 model and select 1 GB RAM and the Superdrive alone, it takes you to $924. Do you really think they'll give you these, plus a faster hard drive and better video card for only $699? There'd never be a reason for anyone to do a BTO at that point.

Realistically, I'd guess they will have 512 RAM as a standard and maybe a bump in processor speed and that's about it. As a stretch, I can see airport extreme become standard or maybe a Firewire 800. In the end, they'll leave plenty of items as BTO options -IMHO.
If you have noticed, BTO has become less of a major thing with Apple recently. In years past, holding things back for BTO or having special options BTO allowed apple to promote Apple Store sales since that was virtually the only place you could get them BTO. As the year's past updates have shown, BTO is less attractive for Apple now because they have retail stores. The retail stores don't BTO but they offer the same direct sale/larger margin advantage that the old online store BTO used to offer.

I think we'll see more and more additional or what apple calls "ultimate" prebuilt models released. This allows the retail stores to offer BTO options but in a prebuilt machine.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-07-22, 22:48

Let's also not forget that BTO is a complete rip-off anyway. That RAM update in BTO is $225 (1GB), but there's no way it costs $225 more than the 256MB module. It's nothing more than simple profit mongering, and you know it. Bringing BTO into the memory debate doesn't make logical sense, imo. They KNOW the Mini needs 512MB. Review units they sent out to the press had 512. I think they'll also upgrade the video to 64MB in all models. however, in the two base models I don't think we'll see much more of a bump, except maybe a small CPU boost. I think the $699 unit won't add much more, except maybe a 100 GB hard drive and standard Super Drive. Again, think about the difference in the cost of the parts, not the BTO cost. A 100GB laptop hard drive only runs about $30 more than an 80GB, and the SuperDrive likely doesn't cost much more than about $40 more. That still leaves a little extra profit. Here are my final predictions:

$499
512 MB RAM
64MB Video
Same HDD
Same CPU
Combo Drive

$599
512MB RAM
64MB Video
Super Drive
Same HDD
Same CPU
AP/BT Standard

$699
512MB RAM
64MB Video
100GB Hard Drive
Super Drive
AP/BT Standard

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-07-22, 23:30

That sounds about right, but I think the $599 will have a combo drive, not a super.
MacRonin

2005-07-23, 02:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
BTW, just confirming my theory: after nearly a week of nothing to say, MOSR suddenly comes out and updates their page with talk of iBooks and minis, talking about widescreen displays on the iBooks and $499/599/699 for the mini.

They go on to say "more on this in the days to come", which is code for "whenever AppleInsider and ThinkSecret posts new updates we can glom onto and rephrase".

Goons.

Anyone else here believe that if ThinkSecret never updated their site this week with the iBook/mini stuff, MOSR would STILL have a one-week old front page?

This has happened about half a bazillion times. 1-2 days after AppleInsider and ThinkSecret come out with good, juicy (and RELIABLE, grounded-in-reality) info, MOSR follows it with "we were under an embargo, but can now safely tell you what we've know for about seven weeks...", and then proceed to repeat everything ThinkSecret or AppleInsider posted 24-48 hours earlier.

Uh, yeah...
Yeah, but we keep going back to check his spin on it all, don't we...?!?
MacRonin

2005-07-23, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvalenstein
I think that Apple should put airport in ALL mac mini's....
I think Apple should put AirPort & BlueTooth as standard in everything, AND make everything (I mean consumer/professional laptops/desktops<minis/imacs/towers>) able to run CoreX...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-23, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRonin
Yeah, but we keep going back to check his spin on it all, don't we...?!?
I go there simply to see how he responds when AI and TS post new stuff. His "spin", I couldn't care less about. They've been wrong so much (when they're not piggybacking on AI and TS, they simply seem to make up really outlandish stuff that has never come true).

I just think it's funny, that's all.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-07-23, 08:16

$499
1.25Ghz
256MB RAM
64MB video
40GB HD
Combo Drive

$599
1.42Ghz
256MB RAM
64MB Video
80GB HD
Combo Drive

$699
1.42Ghz
512MB RAM
64MB Video
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Combo Drive

AP/BT all optional

You ask me for a hamburger.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-23, 09:11

Atomic, is that just your guess/opinion or are you posting some accurate "inside" info? Please specify in these types of posts.

BTW, I hope you're wrong because that's pretty pathetic...NOTHING has changed, except there's a new model now that has all the stuff the OTHER two should have!

I don't see much of an "upgrade", other than the video. You really thing the two lower models stay at the same processor speed, etc.?

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-07-23, 09:18

Yes, and admittedly it's just guessing.

It is pathetic, Scates, because there's not much room to upgrade on a $499 Macintosh. All models get 64 MB video, RAM bump on middle model (forgot to add that in original post), and new $699 with faster HD. It *might* have a super drive too.

This is the way Apple will do it... small increment. All this chatter about $499 with 512 MB, super drive, etc. just isn't realistic. Apple's profit margin (percentage-wise, of course) on the Mini is the smallest of all Macintosh computers.

You ask me for a hamburger.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-07-23, 10:02

Guessing is fun! I'll guess incremental upgrades all around.

Code:
$499 $599 $699 1.33 GHz 1.5 GHz 1.5 GHz 256MB RAM 512MB RAM 512MB RAM 64MB video 64MB Video 64MB Video 60GB HD 80 GB HD 80GB HD 5400rpm Combo Drive Combo Drive Combo Drive AP/BT
Thoughts:
  • Apple won't put 256MB in the low end model. They would have done the same to the eMac in May.
  • 60GB HD in the low-end, hopefully to coincide with a 60GB HD going into the 12" iBook (otherwise if the iBook gets 40GB, mini stays at 40GB)
  • Apple won't include an SD standard. Heck, they charge $200 to get a measly 200 MHz bump and an SD in the 17" iMac.
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2005-07-23, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
Code:
$499 $599 $699 1.33 GHz 1.5 GHz 1.5 GHz 256MB RAM 512MB RAM 512MB RAM 64MB video 64MB Video 64MB Video 60GB HD 80 GB HD 80GB HD 5400rpm Combo Drive Combo Drive Combo Drive AP/BT
If that $600 mini turns out to be true, I just might think about buying a mini rather than a Powerbook...
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-07-23, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I go there simply to see how he responds when AI and TS post new stuff. His "spin", I couldn't care less about. They've been wrong so much (when they're not piggybacking on AI and TS, they simply seem to make up really outlandish stuff that has never come true).

I just think it's funny, that's all.

I honestly think they "predict" they way they do for two reasons.

1. They want to look like a legit rumor site with real sources, although it's blatantly obvious they have neither legitimacy nor sources.

2. If you fling enough crap through the air, you're bound to hit something eventually. I think they're trying to establish their reputation based on calling something, say, 6 months in advance, even before TS or MR calls it. I figure they're bound to hit something eventually, than they'll blow their wad like you've never seen.

Come waste your time with me
xflare

2005-07-23, 11:30

I think people may be expecting too much in this update and are setting themselves up for disappointment. I expect they will still ship the low end Mini with 256MB RAM, just as they do with the current low end eMac.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-07-23, 12:40

^ yes. ^
brianus

2005-07-23, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
$499
1.25Ghz
256MB RAM
64MB video
40GB HD
Combo Drive

$599
1.42Ghz
256MB RAM
64MB Video
80GB HD
Combo Drive

$699
1.42Ghz
512MB RAM
64MB Video
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Combo Drive

AP/BT all optional
^ You have GOT to be kidding me. This doesn't even merit being called a revision.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-07-23, 17:03

Read the post I made after that... I mis-wrote. Again, Apple can't do a whole lot with the $499 model.
brianus

2005-07-23, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Read the post I made after that... I mis-wrote. Again, Apple can't do a whole lot with the $499 model.
Maybe so, but surely they can do something with the $599 and $699! The only truly new thing in your speculation (as in, not possible on current models even with BTO or user modding) is the bump in video RAM... otherwise it's identical to the current line (or can be w/the BTO options). And the 40GB drives they've been using are already 5400RPM (despite the official specs) while the 80s have remained at 4200, so I don't see why they would offer separate 4200 and 5400 configurations in the future.

I'm hoping that at minimum they'll bump all the drives to 5400 (officially), up the VRAM to 64MB, possibly with a new video card model, and make 512MB standard for the $600 and up models (but preferably the low-end too). And since in that the only truly 'new' feature is the VRAM, you'd think they might also overclock the processors to 1.33 and 1.5, just to distinguish the update (otherwise it couldn't even be called a 'speed bump'!)

Justice demands they drop the price of the 1GB upgrade to something remotely reasonable (I have to pay $125 more than I would at Crucial just to avoid having to break it open with a putty knife and waste the old RAM!? ...criminal), but that's a long shot. I would also like to see AE/BT and perhaps the SuperDrive built in on the top of the line model, but I guess that's unlikely too.

I dunno, I'm holding out hope that they'll give us a decent update this time if only to interest those customers who may be holding off 'till Intel -- especially since the Mini will likely be among the first to get the new processors. They did say they'd have plenty of 'great PowerPC products' in the pipeline; I would hope that what is quite possibly the last revision of the PPC Minis isn't a dud.

Last edited by brianus : 2005-07-23 at 17:22.
jared52

2005-07-23, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus
I would also like to see AE/BT and perhaps the SuperDrive built in on the top of the line model, but I guess that's unlikely too.
Well, it will according to TS.