Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Help! iTunes not recognizing/syncing my iPhone

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help! iTunes not recognizing/syncing my iPhone
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-12-26, 23:50

Last week I did an archive/install of Tiger (long story). Everything's working fine.

However, I've not synced my phone since then (I have a bedside charger for my overnight charging needs, and I'll sometimes go 4-5 days without docking the iPhone to my PowerBook). But tonight I did some housecleaning in my Safari bookmarks, Address Book and iCal.

When I stick my iPhone in its cradle (that's connected to my PowerBook), iPhoto will launch as usual and ask me if I want to sync/import any photos I've taken, etc.

But iTunes - where all the other syncing seems to take place/be reflected - doesn't pop up, my iPhone never shows up in the iTunes source list, no syncing progress is shown in the little iTunes rectangular top window, etc.

In other words, it's doing nothing like it's supposed to. And, sure enough, I check my iPhones bookmarks and other settings and nothing has been synced over to my iPhone.

Is there a way to force iTunes to "see"/recognize my iPhone? Did I forget to drag something back from my "Previous System" files that was iTunes/iPhone-related?

The iPhone itself is working fine - Wi-fi, the phone, EDGE, camera/photos, the iPod portion, texting, etc. It's simply not being recognized by iTunes (and, therefore, no photo, mail, bookmark, contact, etc. syncing is taking place).

I've got the most recent iPhone software, and I'm on Tiger 10.4.11. There are no other problems to speak of.

And I've restarted both my iPhone and PowerBook, 2-3 times each.

Help...I've got to have my iPhone and PowerBook "talking" to one another again!

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-12-27, 00:20

Has your iPhone been seeing another Mac on the side? *wink wink* Or, knowing how stunningly attractive iPhones are, has your Mac been seeing another iPhone?

Because if that's the case, I can totally see why they'd refuse to talk. I mean, it sounds like your Mac ran off with another iPhone so fresh as to leave it feeling new, almost as if it had just gone through an Archive/Install. But your Mac is still old, and your iPhone knows it---it's still running Tiger, and it's showing its age. Your iPhone's looking for an equally attractive mate (like Leopard), and can tell something's fishy since the Mac's only sporting newly-buffed (but still aged) Tiger.

If you really want to lure your iPhone back, you'll either need some sweet Mac OS X 10.5 moves, or some serious USB counseling.

(Sorry, I don't know how to help here.)

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
SpecMode
Wait what

2007-12-27, 00:27

Have you tried actually re-downloading and reinstalling iTunes itself? The iPhone/mobile phone driver software might have gotten lost somewhere in the shuffle...

Beyond that, have you checked the Console logs to see if there are any odd entries when you connect the iPhone that might indicate another underlying problem?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-12-27, 00:37

I'm installing iTunes 7.5 fresh (just downloaded it, after reading some of the iPhone support stuff at Apple's site). I'm thinking that I probably did indeed lose something in the shuffle (drivers or whatnot) and that's what is going on. Because this is the first time I've connected my phone to my PowerBook since re-installing Tiger and doing that whole "rebuilding" thing last Wednesday night...

I hope this fixes it, because I'm truly stumped. I'm happy that the phone is working, of course. But I'd prefer it to work completely, as it did before (syncing, etc.), especially now that I've organized and streamlined some things...it'll look a lot neater and nicer on my phone, if I can ever get it to sync over.

Fingers crossed...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-12-27, 00:57

Success! A reinstall of iTunes 7.5 did the trick...iPhone showed up in the source list, everything got synced, etc.

I can go to bed happy now...

Mods, delete at will. Sorry, I was trying to find (or, rather, was expecting) a more "process-based", pain-in-the-butt solution; had I known a simple download/reinstall of iTunes would've done the trick, I never would've started this thread...