User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Importing titles into iTunes but leaving files on networked WinXP PC?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Importing titles into iTunes but leaving files on networked WinXP PC?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-07-20, 19:19

I have had a little challenge where something corrupted my tags on my MP3's so it didn't recognize them anymore. Here is my challenge: My MP3 collection is on a WinXP PC networked with everything listed in my sig. I want to leave all my data where it is though allow iTunes on my Mac Mini to access it over the network. The only reason I want iTunes to have the music is to allow my iPods to sync through my Mac instead of the PC's. I had this configuration once before but after the corruption of the data, I had to restore my collection from my Creative Zen Xtra 40GB back onto my HDD. Now that all the songs were removed from iTunes I can't seem to get iTunes to see the songs thought MusicMatch and WMP see it on the PC. All of my other PC's can see it using MusicMatch or WMP. All I have had to do was "search my watched folder" and all my songs were imported while leaving the data on the original spot. I don't use iTunes on my WinXP systems.

How do I import all my titles without having to manually find and import each of my 3928 songs? I'm looking to get a 60GB iPod, but until then...

For clarification my Mini and the folder my MP3's are in connect at my Mini's bootup/login. I can access the drive the titles are in so I know it isn't the ability to get to the folder the songs are in.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-07-20, 19:30

uncheck keep itunes music folder organized and go to advanced settings and change the location of your itunes library to the network folder where all your music is. then drag and drop that folder onto itunes and all the songs will be imported but the files will not move.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-07-20, 20:07

Thank you VERY much!!! That was just what I needed. It's prepping volume leveling now on 4059 tracks; Mini is going to be busy tonight!!!

Now side note, how to I insert a pic/gif into a message instead of a link?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-07-20, 20:09

cool. glad it worked for you.
to insert a pic/gif you need to host it on a server somewhere and then embed a link to it with IMG tags. i dont think AppleNova allows uploading photos but there is someone who hhosts images for free for members but I can't remember the link.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-07-20, 20:12

Well then let me try, I get free web space for this...

This is for you, you the man.