User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Sharing iTunes library files between accounts

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sharing iTunes library files between accounts
timmmee

2005-09-10, 16:32

Hey, I have been setting up my brand new iMac G5, and wanted to set up the iPhoto and iTunes accounts so that all the users on the iMac have the same files. I moved the iPhoto library to the Shared folder and it works fine (anyone can import and everyone sees the changes, etc.)

But iTunes 5 is causing me a little more grief. The changes only show up on the account in which it was loaded until you go onto the other account and manually drag the iTunes Music folder into the app. Am I doing something wrong? The folders are set for everyone to read and write. (I've looked online and there is talk about aliases linking to the Shared one, but you can change where the Library is located in Preferences anyway, so there's really no point.)

(iMac G5 20", 1 gig RAM, Tiger)
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-09-10, 16:56

The point is so that you don't have to drag the files into the library after they have been imported through another account. It was like this before iTunes 5, so I am not sure how you got it to do that.

good luck, have fun
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-10, 17:19

Yes, aliases pointing to the Shared folder is the absolute best way to go. That way everyone has the same library file. If that's what you want, that is. There really should be a preference for this. "Do you want to use the "computer's" playlists or would you like to make your own?" or something like that.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
timmmee

2005-09-11, 01:32

The alias thing would work, but you can just change the library location to wherever you want on the hard disk, so it seems like an extra step that accomplishes the same thing.

astr3rx, I know that the point is that everything updates automatically. Now how do I get it to do that?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-11, 05:50

Use the alias trick.

So long as everyone if looking at the same "iTunes Library" file, they all have exactly the same... iTunes library.