AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Time Machine Backup fun

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Time Machine Backup fun
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-11-06, 16:48

So, my MBP gave in.

It'll be after Christmas before I can do anything about it, so for now, I'll be sharing computers with my girlfriend.

Here's the questions:

Can I restore a Time Machine backup to a new account on her computer, without affecting her stuff?

Secondly, can I pick and choose what to restore: my 100GB HD on the old MBP was 70% full, and her machine only has a 80GB drive in...which we need to share. I'm guessing I'm only going to have 40GB to work with...
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-11-06, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
So, my MBP gave in.

It'll be after Christmas before I can do anything about it, so for now, I'll be sharing computers with my girlfriend.

Here's the questions:

Can I restore a Time Machine backup to a new account on her computer, without affecting her stuff?
Yes. You can do it with the Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Secondly, can I pick and choose what to restore: my 100GB HD on the old MBP was 70% full, and her machine only has a 80GB drive in...which we need to share. I'm guessing I'm only going to have 40GB to work with...
I believe that all you can pick and choose is whether or not to include Applications and other files/folders outside of the User folder you are migrating.