User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 124 of 221 First Previous 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-08-17, 16:59

With a name like Weiner …

Oh, never mind.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-19, 09:12

I guess the endless fawning coverage and press given to young, attractive Olympic athletes is no longer enough.

If Wheaties decides to recognize/celebrate entitled d-baggery, these guys might still have a shot at that cereal box?

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-08-19, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I guess the endless fawning coverage and press given to young, attractive Olympic athletes is no longer enough.

If Wheaties decides to recognize/celebrate entitled d-baggery, these guys might still have a shot at that cereal box?

Weird story and blowup in many ways.

When the story first broke it had so many holes in it but the american media completely looked past them and pushed it hard with no regard for accuracy and fact checking before reporting.

Now the Brazilian media/gov't has grabbed on to a few of the facts and successfully shifted the dialogue 180 degrees to embarrass the swimmers and the USOC.

The reality is:
1. Lochte is an idiot, always has been, and seems to get dumber with age.
2. US swimmers were out having a fun night in Rio, which involved heavy drinking like it does for almost everyone.
3. Their cab stopped for gas and they got out and tried to use the restroom
4. There seemed to be some problem with restroom access (they couldn't get the key, it was locked, there was only one, something)....and it seems they may have tried to pull open the door... possibly damaging it.... although watching a video walkthrough on NBC this morning shows this to be your typical gross, worn down bathroom and metal bathroom doors with no sign of severe damage.
5. At least one of them took a piss behind the gas station
6. gas station attendants approached them and confronted them about their actions
7. They were very drunk and are world class athletes driven by confrontation and testosterone... so, they talked back and/or acted like douches
8. They tried to leave in the cab
9. A uniformed security guard with a gun approached their cab at the pump and demanded they get out.
10. They got out but Lochte did seem to confront the security guard (again, an idiot)
11. The security guard did point a gun in their direction (not on his forehead).
12. It seems very likely that the security guard and the gas station attendant did not speak english to them.
13. The video shows the security guard making the swimmers get down on the pavement with their hands behind their heads.
14. It ends with an exchange of an unknown amount of cash.
15. The swimmers don't make a big deal of it, until Lochte (idiot) shares an embellishment of the story with his mother when he arrives back home, and she then goes and tells a media contact that her son was robbed at gunpoint! And then it blows up from there.

The reality is, the truth lies somewhere in the middle of what Lochte said, and what Brazil is claiming. Pissing on the back of a gas station has to happen on a nightly basis in Rio... it happens all over the fucking place. No one has actually specified what "vandalism" occurred to the gas station. The swimmers were drunk douches... but the gas station security guard decided to prevent them from leaving with a show of a firearm, and held them to the ground until they paid up an unknown amount. With a language barrier, early morning in rio, with a guy in a security uniform demanding money after demanding you get out of your car, I'm not surprised that drunk guys would claim they were robbed... or at least tell friends/family they were with some embellishment.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-19, 10:23

Just lame all around. Doesn't require too much analysis and deciphering. Not acting like drunken frat boys when you're there for something ostensibly a bit more noble (and knowing the eyes of the world are on you) would probably be a good starting point.

Just looks bad, no matter how it shakes out. Set aside a couple of weeks to not be a dick and create a problem/controversy that didn't have to be.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-08-19, 10:28

Quote:
Just lame all around. Doesn't require too much analysis and deciphering.
Well... yes and no. It blew up because Rio has had some ridiculous shit happen the past 2 weeks (i.e.: random bullet flying through a press tent at equestrian event, muggings, dead body bleeding out on the sidewalk just after the opening ceremony) and embellishment or not, being taken out of a cab by a security guard with a gun and being required to pay for pissing on a wall or damaging a gas station restroom door at 4am is a bit intense and excessive. Neither side looks good here, and Brazil shouldn't feel the sense of validation that they seem to be embracing right now for this ordeal either.

Plus, Lochte..... america's favorite idiot.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-19, 10:30

It's all been weird, as I've discussed/poked fun at upthread already. This is a nice change from poking fun at the host city/venue and IOC shenanigans. Plenty to go around.

Many successful Olympians can parlay their games performance into a nice little bit of fame/earning/icon potential (Jenner, Retton, Phelps, etc.).

These guys might've put a serious crimp on that. And I say "might" because we're a (selectively, depending on various factors) "forgiving" culture, easily susceptible to crocodile tears, PR-created apologies, blaming bad behavior on any number of things, etc. These guys could all go on Anderson Cooper or arrange a Barbara Walters/Bob Costas interview (if it were five years ago, I would've said Larry King), get a little misty-eyed/quiver-lipped and show a bit of lowered-head contrition and possibly make that Wheaties box and the talk show circuit (and have the focus actually be on the swimming and Olympic performance).

But that'll take some work. And I'm sure, as we speak, someone's already formulating some PR/spin/damage control to offset it all.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-08-19 at 10:48.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-08-19, 10:33

Quote:
It's all been weird, as I've discussed/poked fun at up thread already. This is a nice change from poking fun at the host city/venue and corrupt IOC gang. Plenty to go around. I think everyone's kinda lost their minds.
In summary, Lochte is a bigger idiot than we thought
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-19, 10:46

Yeah, I don't follow this stuff so I only heard of him two weeks ago, when the games started (there was an article about his hair turning green?). That was my intro to him. I knew Phelps, of course. I'll have to look into this other guy's history of idiocy...I wasn't aware he already has a reputation.

So it's no huge surprise to many that he's caught up in something, huh?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-08-19, 11:06

Quote:
Yeah, I don't follow this stuff so I only heard of him two weeks ago, when the games started (there was an article about his hair turning green?). That was my intro to him. I knew Phelps, of course. I'll have to look into this other guy's history of idiocy...I wasn't aware he already has a reputation.

So it's no huge surprise to many that he's caught up in something, huh?
He had a short lived reality show on E called "What would Ryan Lochte Do?". So yea, not a surprise.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-19, 21:32

Me, upthread, about 11 hours ago:

Quote:
And I'm sure, as we speak, someone's already formulating some PR/spin/damage control to offset it all.
Aqua-Twat hires PR "guru" whose previous clients have included known atomic shitheads - and black belts in the d-nozzlery arts - Justin Bieber and Alec Baldwin.

So let the horseshitting and apology tour commence. I'm sure Ellen and others can't wait to have him on.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-08-23, 01:39

I literally just made hot chocolate using my microwave, and sat down at the computer to surf the net.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2016-08-23, 07:57

Mmmm... Radiation... <drools>
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-23, 16:33

The phone in the microwave to test sounds great. There is a pretty big hole in that theory though. Cell phone run on completely different frequency ranges than a microwave oven. Most run on 2.4GHz last I looked and that is nowhere near the range for a cell phone. Electromagnetic radiation for 2.4GHz is going to be completely different than that of the cell phone ranges. If you want a closer test, put your old 802.11b/g router in the microwave and see if you can get wifi from it. That is a more realistic check.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Dr. Bobsky

2016-08-24, 13:47

To be fair most cell phones run on lower frequencies (higher wavelengths) so the Faraday cage of household microwaves should be capable of filtering these frequencies out (unless they were over engineered to specifically filter *only* the relevant microwave frequencies).
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-08-24, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
If you want a closer test, put your old 802.11b/g router in the microwave and see if you can get wifi from it. That is a more realistic check.
Unless your router is battery powered, this probably isn't going to work.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-24, 19:10

That is very true, you would need to manage the power somehow. Maybe one of those portable hotspots. Or just a battery pack that puts out 120VAC. Basically, the article didn't give a valid test and is fear mongering. I'm not saying all microwaves are safe or anything like that. I'm not even saying there is no validity to the article, just their test method for people to try at home is not valid.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-08-24, 23:42

What I noticed more is the question of whether proximity to microwaves causes cataracts.

I searched for more info, and found that it seems to be well acknowledged that long term exposure to microwaves causes cataracts.
Why haven't I ever heard of this being proven before?

If true, shouldn't California have stuck a warning label on microwave oven boxes by now? They do that on pretty much everything.
Dr. Bobsky

2016-08-25, 07:41

The issue is that the Faraday cage on the microwave diminishes the risk for microwave exposure and thus cataracts so no warning is necessary.

I don't own a microwave because I think it ruins food, and I am happy to use a stovetop for boiling water/melting chocolate/butter, which seems to be the only advantage going for it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-08-25, 09:39

You mean you don't zap your Poptarts in the nuker?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-08-25, 12:16

A little good odd weird downright fun news!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-29, 11:58

Weiner gets cut off.

It only took a husband showing his wang to everyone in the western hemisphere not named "Huma" for her to come to this brave decision...

Interesting contrast to her boss, who stood by her husband as he enjoyed his human cigar humidors, etc.

The press is covering it like someone died, I've noticed. So somber and reverential in tone, I've seen on TV and in a few articles.
I guess since much of the mainstream press is on Team Hillary, they're taking this like friends/family breaking up? Some doofus on CNN, I swear his eyes were watering up.

Goodness knows they were all willing to engage in the "weiner" puns* and nudge-wink headlines the past few years. Weird. I guess it's all Beltway fun-and-games until someone decides they don't want to play anymore.

*I'm not a so-called professional journalist, so I don't have to "act right" or "be above" anything; I'll delight in sordid "weiner" wordplay until I can't see straight.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-08-29, 13:14

Quote:
*I'm not a so-called professional journalist, so I don't have to "act right" or "be above" anything; I'll delight in sordid "weiner" wordplay until I can't see straight.
Everyone likes a good Weiner roast, Paul.

Time to pull out! What do you wanna bet this was ordered from the Clinton camp? She can ill afford any more embarrassment.

Between his nose, and her mouth …

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-29, 13:23

I didn't even notice until you said something... she has the mouth of Joker.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-08-29, 13:30

And Weiner has the rest of his face.

TOGETHER THEY CAUSE CRIME!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-08-29, 13:49

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-29, 14:15

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-29, 14:31

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-29, 15:01

"We are the music makers...and we are the dreamers of the dreams."

Gene Wilder dead at 83.

:

This one stings a little bit. He was always a favorite of mine. I love barely-contained panic/on-the-verge-of-a-complete-wig-out in my comedy, and he did it better than most. RIP.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-08-29, 15:48

He and Richard Pryor were one of the best on-screen duos in my memory.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2016-08-29, 17:03

Farewell to the Waco Kid. RIP