User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

The Legend of an Awesome Christmas Present...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Legend of an Awesome Christmas Present...
kdcny

2011-01-11, 18:38

In September I became an uncle, and even though I don't usually have an immediate "OMG, BABYZ!" reaction to newborns, I will admit that my nephew is pretty darn cute.

Some more backstory before the reveal: my brother and his wife are really into SCA and have been for a long time. My brother also was/is a D&D, etc. fan, and he and his wife both really love their video games, too. Me? Well, I played a lot of Nintendo and Super Nintendo when I was a kid, but didn't play much past that. However, I do remember spending hours and hours playing Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past.

Enter: cool project. A few months back, after I found out that my sister-in-law was pregnant, I stumbled upon a Link (ha!) to this knitting/crocheting pattern for an awesome Link outfit from The Legend of Zelda. Since my wife really enjoys knitting, I went to her and said, "You have to make this. We have to give this to them as Christmas present." So, after a few different trials, some carpel-tunnel-esque pain in my wife's arms, and couple months of work, here it is:

Yes, the little quiver is the perfect size to hold one of my nephew's bottles.

I was responsible for the wrapping:

I know it's not completely accurate or to scale, but I think it turned out all right. My wife, of course, deserves basically all of the credit for the outfit. She spent countless hours on this, pulling things apart and starting over more than a few times to get it *just* right.

Anyway - I hope at least it made you smile. It's a little large for my nephew right now, but when he's big enough to wear it and I get some pictures, I'll post them here as a follow-up.

(I found the pattern here: http://www.happyseamstress.com/knitt...-free-pattern/)

(This is also my first time posting images, so if there's a better way to do it then please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks!)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-01-11, 18:45

I know nothing of the subject matter, but the outfit (and the thinking behind it) is awesome! Great work...they'll remember that forever, I'm sure.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-11, 18:49

Sooooo cute!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-01-11, 22:44

Wow, that's so awesome!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-01-11, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I know nothing of the subject matter, but the outfit (and the thinking behind it) is awesome! Great work...they'll remember that forever, I'm sure.
The Legend of Zelda is basically the Star Wars of games, in terms of "big deal-ness" and overall epicness. And there's been no prequel trilogy equivalent (yet)!* It's just been pure awesomeness since 1986.

(When AppleNova "rebranded" to HyruleNova, that was a Zelda thing. Hyrule is the world where most of the series is set.)

So yeah, it's a pretty awsum gift. Well done!

*) The non-canon CD-i discs formed a horrible trilogy, but they weren't canon installments and almost nobody knows about them — so they'd be more analogous to the Star Wars Holiday Special.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-11, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
(When AppleNova "rebranded" to HyruleNova, that was a Zelda thing. Hyrule is the world where most of the series is set.)
Yeah, it's a real shame that that corporate merger fell through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
*) The non-canon CD-i discs formed a horrible trilogy, but they weren't canon installments and almost nobody knows about them — so they'd be more analogous to the Star Wars Holiday Special.
Pffssshhtt... Nintendo properly licensed the Mario and Zelda franchises to Philips in that era. They're only "non-canon" if you close your eyes, plug your ears, and hold your breath! And you can't define "canon" as "only the games Nintendo produced in-house" because you then leave out the great Game Boy contributions by Capcom.

*ahem*

But, yes, your general analogy in calling The Legend of Zelda the "Star Wars of video games" is apt.

And while we're on the subject of LoZ cuteness:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-11, 23:35

To the original subject at hand, though, very well done! That kid has no idea how lucky he is. I've seen that knit pattern before, but the added touches of the label and gold packaging just push it over the top.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-12, 01:00

This is made of win.
Pure nerd gold.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-01-12, 23:05

I am sure that they appreciated the love (and the work!) that went into that, and the great result. Thanks for sharing that story.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-01-13, 15:30

This is a great gift - very thoughtful and from the heart. Kudos to your wife as well - what a tremendous effort. It looks really well made.