Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Edu Store

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Edu Store
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-10, 09:15

Holy crap are the prices good. Makes me want to go back in time last year and buy my G5 from the edu and not the business store (though admittedly I did get 512MB of extra RAM and a better video card for only $100 over the standard config basically).

So how does the Edu store work? AFAICT, you punch in your local college, click a button that you "certify" you are a student, and that's it. Scout's honor and from there you buy what you want. Obviously it would be almost nightmarish for them to try and verify that online purchasers are in fact students, so is this it? Sort of like MS' willingness to sell their Student Edition of Office 2004 to anyone who wants a copy?

Truthfully, I would almost be willing to pay a couple hundred dollars to sign up for a vocational class (photography 201 or whatever), just so I don't feel scummy about it but man... there are some awesome deals there. Any adults in here ever "revisit their collegiate days" for a purchase at the store (either literally or figuratively)?

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-10, 09:46

Ha...brace yourself.

I brought this very topic up at appleinsider.com a year or so ago and got positively REAMED for daring to ponder the notion.

So no, I haven't faked any academic status.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to having a legit student friend "help" me with a purchase if the need arose. But I'm pretty much set, at this point, so it's nothing I obsess on.

I suppose, for the sake of karma and all, I could sign up for some Post-Modern Feminist Literature Gender Studies or Diesel Engine Repair horseshit course at the local community college.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-10, 09:52

I really applaud Apple's Education store. It's really what kept my parents buying Macs when I was growing up. They were easier to afford that way. I'm still in college now, so I take advantage of the education discounts whenever I can. Within the last 6 months I've ordered: A 12" PB 1.33ghz, a 20GB iPod, and today I'm pulling the trigger on an AirPortExpress. All with education discounts. I'm glad that my pockets aren't too light after all that, and I owe a lot of that to the edu. store.

Not only that, but my girlfriend decided that Dells were a "ripoff" after seeing the prices in the Apple Education store (and with some constant "get a Mac" prodding over the past few months.) So soon, thanks in big part to the education store, she'll be a happy iBook owner

Come waste your time with me
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-08-10, 09:57

I'm in my 4th year of post graduate study of my navel do I qualify?

actually my oldest son begins kindergarten on the 30th and one of his school supplies is a headset for the computer. His schools use eMacs.

I get a discount from my wife's employer which is 10% and really nice, is the education discount more? we want to get an emac for the boys room.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-08-10, 10:03

Yeah, the prices are great. A dual 2.5 with a 20" Cinema Display is $550 CDN cheaper through the Edu Store up here.

Like, whoa.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-08-10, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar
I'm in my 4th year of post graduate study of my navel do I qualify?

actually my oldest son begins kindergarten on the 30th and one of his school supplies is a headset for the computer. His schools use eMacs.

I get a discount from my wife's employer which is 10% and really nice, is the education discount more? we want to get an emac for the boys room.
It's usually around 10%, but it very much depends on the machine. It varies.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-10, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Ha...brace yourself.

I brought this very topic up at appleinsider.com a year or so ago and got positively REAMED for daring to ponder the notion.

Well you see, this is the benefit of posting here and not there. I doubt anyone here will make a fuss over it. It's a perfectly legitimate question, and one that's been raised with regards to other company's policies (like MS most recently). It's not like we're asking anyone to break an NDA or steal software for us.

Quote:
However, I wouldn't be opposed to having a legit student friend "help" me with a purchase if the need arose. But I'm pretty much set, at this point, so it's nothing I obsess on.
Yep. I suppose I could've paid less for my 3G 15GB iPod but then again I waited till the price dropped $50 at Amazon, plus another $50 off my next purchase, so no regrets there.....

Quote:
I suppose, for the sake of karma and all, I could sign up for some Post-Modern Feminist Literature Gender Studies or Diesel Engine Repair horseshit course at the local community college.
... as long as you're interested in such things why not? I'd like to save several hundred dollars over the course of a year. Might just be worth enrolling in a class ($150). Thing is, most of the classes I'd be interested in, I could probably teach at the local CC. Unfortunately getting a teaching slot there in this economy is none to easy. That's the first place all the "uber qualified" professional people go when they need a spare gig.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-08-10, 17:00

The edu store is fantabulous. I love it. I just got my 12" 1.33 ghz powerbook for $200 off the regular price. That's about 12% off. It's not so great when you consider you have to factor in taxes but it's still cheaper. And with the tax free weekend, I saved a lot of money. My PB is winging its way to me from Taiwan as we speak. I can't wait...
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-10, 19:05

I pulled the trigger on my Rev.C 12-inch PowerBook on June 29, 24 hours before my student discount expired (I graduated from law school in May). As metioned above, when you take into consideration sales tax (at Apple) and special promotions (e.g. on Amazon), the edu price is a tossup except for big ticket items. But for a full system with AppleCare, it was definitely worth it.

Even though I am no longer a student (and I hope I don't ever have to go back to school again), I fully intend to keep shopping in the Apple Edu store, until they "card" me.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-08-10, 19:59

i just used my bros edu discount (pitt johnstown) to buy my first ipod for my b day
JohnHenry

2004-08-10, 21:59

Well, I hope you guys don't screw the honest student by scamming apple. You may as well be stealing. Just because they don't check up on you doesn't make it ok.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-10, 22:25

Hey now... no one said they were going to do that. I came the closest and I am contemplating enrolling in a class just to validate it a bit. Anyway, how precisely would someone be screwing the average college student by buying in this way? You realize of course that Apple makes a nice profit off of students too, right?

It's not like you're getting things for cost, nor is it likely that even thousands of bogus edu purchases in a given financial quarter would cause edu prices to rise the following quarter (see profit comment above). Let's say 50,000 people made bogus edu purchases of varying types and sizes in the coming 12 weeks. How will Apple know they've been had and then decide it's a good idea to raise student prices?

I agree it's unethical and I wouldn't encourage people to do this sort of thing as a rule, but it's hardly "screwing over the little guy" [aka student] in this case either, ya know?

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-08-10, 23:22

The prices are definitely good at the Edu store, I've used it once so far and probably will use it in the upcoming year (it'll be my senior year). It's definitely good for a BTO computer... stock computer prices can typically be matched by Amazon's occasional $100-$150 discounts that they run on Apple computers.

Personally, I won't use it once I finish college, but it's certainly been a nice benefit while I'm here.
JohnHenry

2004-08-11, 21:06

Well, I meant that the student could be screwed in the long run if the apple edu. discount is abused.

Even with the large profit margin apple apparently gets on their machines, the 300 bucks they lose (off profit) on an edu G5 is nothing to sneeze at. Long term, this could mean less discount or a more complicated or longer purchase through the edu store. Heck, it could mean no more discount at all.

I'm not trying to attack anyone personally, but people just need to realize there are consequences to their actions even if it isn't apparent today or tomorrow. This applies not only with the apple edu store, but most everything in life. People seem to think that if they don't get caught or apple isn't "carding" them, then it's ok.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-08-12, 10:53

I bought my 15" AlBook and my wife's 30GB iPod through the store last Fall. I graduated in May so I doubt I qualify now, but I've gotten all my copies of OS X at the student price!

BTW, you have to be taking 6 hours or more to qualify for the .edu discount, which works out to two classes.

After being in college since '92, I'd rather pay normal pricing for a computer over going back to school anyday. Besides, the classes will cost more than the discount anyway (although you'll probably learn something if you take classes ).
Purgatos

2004-08-12, 17:52

I get the discounts from my University bookstore and I always feel so thrifty and clever.

The only way I can afford the things I want.
applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-08-12, 18:44

well....if you ARE a student there is a way to get even better discounts....

college students can sign up for 99 bucks to be a student developer. with that you get free OS upgrades for the year of your membership (sign up now and you'll get tiger free) and you also get a one time hardware discount key using the developer store. developers get an average of 20% off.

you are suppose to be a college student with CS classes on your transcipt for verification although I have heard that they often times do not check that.

I'm not saying sign up to beat the system, I'm saying this is a great thing to do if you DO meet the requirements and want to play fair.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-12, 19:06

Paul... some CS classes at our local CC?