Gates leaving Microsoft in 2008

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Gates leaving Microsoft in 2008
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-06-15, 15:43

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...orpNewsPR.mspx

Microsoft just announced that Bill Gates is beginning his transition out of Microsoft in June 2008. He says he's doing it to spend more time working with his foundation.

Two Microsoft CTOs are stepping up their roles with the company in order to take Gates' place when he's gone. Remember, he gave up the CEO post a long time ago (to Ballmer), so he had already reduced his role anyway.

It should be interesting to see how much this actually effects the way Microsoft does business. It's such a large organization now, I don't see it effecting them too much.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-15, 15:45

Wow.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-15, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
It should be interesting to see how much this actually effects the way Microsoft does business. It's such a large organization now, I don't see it effecting them too much.
No, not any more than the Captain leaving the bridge of the Titanic... they've set course, and turning that barge is going to take years.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-06-15, 15:48

I was just typing up a thread for this, but decided to check one last time before posting to see if anyone beat me to it, and here you are.

Apple was certainly a different company without Steve, so strange things could happen with Microsoft. Maybe Bill could see that Apple was going to take over the PC world, and he decided to bail while stocks were still up.

Any effects besides an immediate stock reaction will take quite a while (years) to surface.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-06-15, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
I was just typing up a thread for this, but decided to check one last time before posting to see if anyone beat me to it, and here you are.

Apple was certainly a different company without Steve, so strange things could happen with Microsoft. Maybe Bill could see that Apple was going to take over the PC world, and he decided to bail while stocks were still up.

Any effects besides an immediate stock reaction will take quite a while (years) to surface.
Apple wasn't as well off when Jobs was fired, either. Any time you see a chairman (especially a company founder) get fired, there are a lot of problems in the background. Gates is basically just retiring. Microsoft isn't hurting in any way right now (although some believe they can't continue with their current business model and that Gates might be leaving because he doesn't want to be viewed as responsible if something goes wrong).
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-15, 15:53

There you go. Apple wins. Microsoft loses.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-06-15, 16:02

This will have effects long-term but nothing that will fix vista or the infighting. They need to tear out about 3 tiers of management according to my buddy on the inside. Gates was actually not a bad CEO (not as charasmatic as Steve Jobs, but make no mistake he is big-time clever.)
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-06-15, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
There you go. Apple wins. Microsoft loses.
[Yoda]Too soon to tell, it is.[/Yoda]
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-06-15, 16:05

I hear that Gates is coming to head up Apple, and that Jobs is going to head up the slave labour division in Asia.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-06-15, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
No, not any more than the Captain leaving the bridge of the Titanic... they've set course, and turning that barge is going to take years.
*Ballmer on the bridge*

"Ram that pussy iceberg! I need it's pieces to cool down my armpits."

hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2006-06-15, 17:09

A well deserved semi retirement for Billy Boy.

This doesn't really affect Apple all the much I mean how much of Microsoft recently has been from the vision of Bill? Not as much as Job's influence on Apple I must say.

omgwtfbbq
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-06-15, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh
This will have effects long-term but nothing that will fix vista or the infighting. They need to tear out about 3 tiers of management according to my buddy on the inside. Gates was actually not a bad CEO (not as charasmatic as Steve Jobs, but make no mistake he is big-time clever.)
I've always maintained that Gates is flat-out brilliant. He always knows what he's doing. His only problem really was that Microsoft grew too big for one man to exert as much control as he did in the early days. He was made for that, and not in a dictatorial sense, but in the way that he was genuinely clever and knew how to do what was best for the company.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-06-15, 17:41

Quote:
I've always maintained that Gates is flat-out brilliant. He always knows what he's doing. His only problem really was that Microsoft grew too big for one man to exert as much control as he did in the early days. He was made for that, and not in a dictatorial sense, but in the way that he was genuinely clever and knew how to do what was best for the company.
People who bash him also forget what he does for the world. I think shitty software is a pretty small price to pay if he's doing the work of several aid organisations in one with the B&MG Foundation. (I know I'm going to get shot down for saying that, but hey, there are more important things in life than computers )
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-06-15, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh
People who bash him also forget what he does for the world. I think shitty software is a pretty small price to pay if he's doing the work of several aid organisations in one with the B&MG Foundation. (I know I'm going to get shot down for saying that, but hey, there are more important things in life than computers )
I for one will not shoot you down, it's a valid point. And if we didn't have Microsoft, But only apple, would apple then not be the large corporation with possibly some/all of the problems microsoft suffers from?. Lets face it with approx 90% of the PC market they can't be all bad can they?

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jerman

2006-06-15, 19:08

Must admit I do have respect for Bill for all he does with the Gates foundation as well. It is neat he is focusing on that now. With all of his money, it is nice to know he is wanting to help the world. Props to you, Mr. Gates.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-06-15, 19:29

[sarcasm]
Yeah really nice, if one ridiculously rich man decides who should be helped and who shouldn't.
[/sarcasm]
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-06-15, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
[sarcasm]
Yeah really nice, if one ridiculously rich man decides who should be helped and who shouldn't.
[/sarcasm]
What's your problem? At least he's helping people. There are plenty of filthy rich people who sit on their wealth.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-06-15, 19:38

Quote:
What's your problem? At least he's helping people. There are plenty of filthy rich people who sit on their wealth.
I Don't begrudge people becoming wealthy. It's what you do with it that counts. Well said fcgriz (Total Agreement )
If i decide to give money to a charity i decide which one. My money, my choice. Isn't that all he is doing?

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-06-15, 19:58

[utopist]
I still like to believe we could grow beyond the point where a small number of people with a lot of money and power make choices for large numbers of people who have nothing, that's all.
[/utopist]

I do respect mister Gates' (or anybody's) choice to give a substantial amount of money to charity though. I would probably do so myself and would honestly believe I were doing the right thing.

This however still doesn't mean I'm not allowed to openly question the fact if it is (generally) a desirable situation at all that one single person (or family) has such large amounts of money and/or power.

But whatever
I'll stop this now: it might be seen as too political.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
TednDi

2006-06-15, 20:00

Microsoft is DOOMED!

for a change!~

Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-15, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric
And if we didn't have Microsoft, But only apple, would apple then not be the large corporation with possibly some/all of the problems microsoft suffers from?
Maybe. I think Apple's "The Whole Widget" approach lets them avoid a few problems. Certainly macs would have all the virus writers targeting them if Apple was the only game in town.
pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2006-06-16, 00:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
[utopist]
I still like to believe we could grow beyond the point where a small number of people with a lot of money and power make choices for large numbers of people who have nothing, that's all.
[/utopist]
We can hope, can't we?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-16, 01:06

I really respect Bill Gates. He isn't your typical celebrity philanthropist. He really gives a lot of time and money to help make the world a better place. And yeah, he's filthy rich, but I still think he probably spends a greater portion of his money on charitable causes than many other people do (rich or otherwise).
rcs

2006-06-16, 05:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I really respect Bill Gates. He isn't your typical celebrity philanthropist. He really gives a lot of time and money to help make the world a better place. And yeah, he's filthy rich, but I still think he probably spends a greater portion of his money on charitable causes than many other people do (rich or otherwise).
if I may revise Luca's words:
"he probably spends a greater portion of his money on charitable causes than many other ***countries*** do"
Is it 1981?

2006-06-16, 06:18

For all the rivalry between Microsoft and its competitors, he may not really be a visionary (The Road Ahead, anyone?) and his company could arguably be said to be in a bit of a malaise right now; having that much cash and influence in shaping the world, he must be doing something worth copying notes on.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-06-16, 11:50

While it is fun to ponder that he might be abandoning ship before the catastrophe that could be Vista unfolds itself, I do respect Bill Gates. He is very clever. While he has made some less than visionary missteps (like The Road Ahead), and while I do think that his visions of a Microsoft-dominated world are creepy, I would say that he qualifies as a "visionary."

I agree that Microsoft (and Windows, and Office...) simply got to big to be controllable - especially by someone like Gates.

And while I kinda don't think Melinda and he deserved being named Time's "Co-Persons of the Year" (I think Bono alone deserved that honor), I won't argue that the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation does many good things for the world.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-06-16, 11:54

I dunno...the gates foundation is the largest charitable fund in the world-$29 billion, mostly from his work. Bono does a lot but he does wear ridiculous sunshades.

Bill Gates is an extraordinary man, Microsoft is an extraordinary company, it is simply so large that it is going to have more problems- and he is the worlds only person who has ever been a centibillionaire!
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-06-16, 13:26

I wonder if he's thinking about running for office... I think that'd be an interesting race.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-06-16, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
I wonder if he's thinking about running for office... I think that'd be an interesting race.
And an expensive one. I want to see Bill Gates and Donald Trump run against each other for mayor of a little shithole town.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-06-16, 13:31

that would be. He would win I reckon. I dont know why I say that, he just seems like such a nice guy- so endearing. And you just know he wouldnt start any wars.