User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!
Page 14 of 14 First Previous 10 11 12 13 [14]  Thread Tools
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-03-28, 22:57

Couldn't get it to work. Doesn't like the version I have for 1.4.7 due to so many mods updated. >_<
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-29, 00:14

It's running Direwolf20 v5.1.1. I downloaded FTB for the first time on this computer, and once I picked the correct version from the launcher, it was right as rain.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-29, 00:32

Is it that old world? The one with the Starbucks and the "magic-free zone"??

SpecMode
Wait what

2014-03-29, 00:34

Oooh! I'll have to pop in when I get home on Monday.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-29, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Is it that old world? The one with the Starbucks and the "magic-free zone"??

That's what I thought, but no... Tekkit was the modpack with the world that had the Starbucks and the magic-free zone.

Our FTB world was really spread out. Not much of a cohesive spawn. There's some stuff in the central area, but not much.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-03-29, 03:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
It's running Direwolf20 v5.1.1. I downloaded FTB for the first time on this computer, and once I picked the correct version from the launcher, it was right as rain.
Gotcha. I took 5.3.2 of the 1.4.7 version. I'll give it a try for the memories.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-29, 08:30

I hate to sound perpetually clueless here (and if you feel I do fear not, Dellphi will take me to task over this on the phone at some point) but I don't understand what we can do to run this.

My guess is that we can download the world locally and then install a variation of FTB-tweaked Minecraft to play that world on.

I mean, you guys aren't playing multi-player in an old world are you??

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-03-29, 08:36

they are.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-29, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
they are.
Now that's just mean.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-29, 09:33

Right now I don't mind leaving it running at all. Both worlds running for a long time though will likely tax the machine running them. We had issues the last time this went on which was why the FTB VM got stopped when it was being ignored anyway.

That said, I'm in no rush to turn it off if the crowd would like it up for a little while. The intent was so 709 could get his screen captures. The world is 3.9GB on that one.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-29, 09:43

Quote:
Now that's just mean.

Drew... The instructions for how to do this are in this very thread. Not one post above turtle's announcement that the FTB server is online is a description of the ip address needed to access the server. You played on the FTB server, so you surely remember that you need the FTB client and once you have that you need to choose the right version of the mod pack to use. All of this could have been gleamed from the information that was being exchanged back and forth in the posts from last night.

I am worried about you a bit... you seem to have lost more of your confidence in these things recently.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2014-03-29 at 10:16.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-29, 10:34

It's true.
I've hit that age where I want people to lead me through things.
When I'm motivated to do something I do it, when I'm vaguely curious I want to be spoon-fed, so I will clearly apologize for that.

I suppose part of it is that I have SO many different things happening elsewhere that I can't keep track of all of this business. That's why I was asking for clearer instructions in a different discussion we had several weeks back. Searching through the forums to find instructions taxes my patience and I often just say "screw it" because it's not clearly expressed in step-by-step instructions that are easy to locate (edit: this thread is 14 pages long, which in itself is enough to make me go watch episodes of Gilligan's Island instead).

Wikis can be nice in this regard, but even those aren't great.

Dellphi laughingly accuses me of trolling, but at least half of those trolls are serious... just like now. I can't REMEMBER *all* the various worlds we've had, or the various voodoos we've had to do to make our clients work (and we HAVE had to do some voodoo from time to time).

More than anything I don't want to break my current working installation, so that's where I was when I plugged into this conversation.

Hope this explains things a bit, and sorry if I'm an annoyance due to this - it's just the way it is.

I'm aware that Owen's not the *only* annoying kid on MC

Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-29, 10:37

You are way too young to have hit that age.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-29, 10:43

True, and THAT is an intriguing thread topic on which I may begin a new thread in another forum.

In the meantime, before I go to watch Gilligan's Island, I'll ask: will the act of installing FTB crush my vanilla installation?

Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-29, 11:07

no. different apps altogether...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-29, 12:04

Quote:
I mean, you guys aren't playing multi-player in an old world are you??
Only to look around. I forgot what resource hogs Tekkit and FTB were. I just wanted to hop on to take a look. I certainly won't actually be playing in the "old worlds".

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-29, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Drew... The instructions for how to do this are in this very thread.
To be fair, getting FTB set up correctly *does* take a little digging around if you haven't done it in a long time and Setting Up Things isn't your bag.

Drew, if you want to check it out, here are some instructions:
  1. Go to http://www.feed-the-beast.com/ and hit the appropriate Download Client button. For a Mac, you want the jar file.
  2. Once downloaded, put the jar somewhere you don't mind it installing a bunch of files (I threw it into a folder of its own) and double-click the downloaded launcher jar.
  3. It'll ask you where to put its support files. If you moved the jar into a folder, it should have automatically selected that folder. That's probably good enough, but you can pick a different location if you want. Just be sure it doesn't default to your Desktop or Downloads folder because it'll clutter them up really quickly.
  4. Wait. It's going to download a bunch of stuff.
  5. In the long list of modpacks, look for "Direwolf20 Pack (v5.3.2) Minecraft Version 1.4.7". There are multiple Direwolf20 packs; be sure you select that one.
  6. To the top-right of the window is a menu that should have "Recommended" selected. That's the version, and you need to change it. Set that to 5.1.1.
  7. To the bottom-right of the window, click the "Select Profile" menu and choose "Create Profile". Enter your Minecraft login credentials.
  8. Click Launch!
  9. Wait for lots more things to download and unpack!
  10. Once it's finally loaded, enter this as the server address: mc.applenova.com:25566

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-29, 12:38

I'm not paying you nearly enough, Brad. Not nearly enough. Where's the PayPal thingy?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-29, 12:38

Yeah, I was shocked at how much had to load again when I went in it earlier today. I had also forgotten about my U-Matter generation machine too complete with auto-crafting table.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-03-29, 12:47

Admittedly, it felt wrong to play with mods and not have Tinkers Construct on it, LOL. I know most of us can't run it well, but I'd love to do a newer version of one of the FTB packs on a server. Well, so long as Thaumcraft taint is disabled.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
¡Damned!

2014-11-05, 14:12

Is there a chance we could get this back up on the server for a few weeks or so? Last time it was up I got sidetracked and never did grab the screenshots I needed. Much appreciated.

Also, having the file available as a download to tinker with could be valuable. There was some discussion in-game about seeing what what would happen to the previous world when converted to newer FTB.

Actually, having all the previous worlds available for download would be ideal. I've been asking for a while and even set up an FTP a year or so ago. Can we do this? I don't mind hosting them for a time. PM for details and all that.

Turtle? You cool with that? I'll send you the info if so.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-10, 23:23

I have just brought this back online for ya! Enjoy it for a few days. I'll try to leave it running until the weekend, it and the main world do put some stress on Junior though.

¡Damned!

2014-11-12, 18:41

Thanks again, T. Could you leave it up until Monday-ish? I'll be without a machine this weekend and won't have it back up until Monday. I'll be able to take the pics then.

Imma poke around a bit more right now and make a list. Lots of neat stuff in this world. Though, I do wish we had built a high-speed rail system… peoples be far away from each other.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-12, 20:52

Sure thing. Let me know when you're done in there and I'll take ti down then.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-11-13, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Also, having the file available as a download to tinker with could be valuable. There was some discussion in-game about seeing what what would happen to the previous world when converted to newer FTB.
I installed FTB on the Windows side of the Hackintosh, and attempting to convert my old SSP FTB world to the newer version just churned and churned. I'll have to see if swapping the windows side to my SSD and throwing and additional 6GB of RAM at it will do anything.

Even starting a new world got super laggy after a while.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-11-18, 00:44

Tough part with converting to newer versions is the mods change so much that some of the old things really just won't work.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-26, 14:57

Is it safe for me to take this down again? It ended up much longer than I had planned to have it up but it didn't impact the machine as a whole.

¡Damned!

2014-11-28, 15:57

I didn't get all that I needed, but hopefully I can get it to work locally.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-28, 16:14

I brought it back up for you. Enjoy it. Thing is it runs a backup that ends up filling it's drive. I made space on it again, but will have to manually clear space later. I'll get back to you more about the PM in PMs.