User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Black Friday discounts

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Black Friday discounts
Boomerangmacuser

2007-10-23, 17:46

Does anyone recall how much Apple discounts their machines on Black Friday? We're getting close and I can't seem to find how much the iMacs were discounted last year. My old link to the Apple site is dead now.

My co-worker got about $50 off a Nano. Is a couple of hundred bucks a reasonable expectation for an iMac?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-10-23, 18:03

No, expect to pay the same you pay every other day of the year.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2007-10-23, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
No, expect to pay the same you pay every other day of the year.
There actually are discounts from Apple Stores on Black Friday. However, I cannot remember what they are.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-10-23, 18:21

I think it's usually like $100 off iMacs or something like that, I don't remember exactly what they did last year.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-23, 18:26

No! Don't buy anything! What is so euphemistically called "Black Friday" by those in power and by their media puppets is otherwise known as Buy Nothing Day! Show the capitalist swines that you are not a consumer whore! Resist! Protest! Stock up enough food to last you through the day!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-10-23, 18:42

You know Christmas is coming when the Black Friday thread gets started...
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-10-23, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
No! Don't buy anything! What is so euphemistically called "Black Friday" by those in power and by their media puppets is otherwise known as Buy Nothing Day! Show the capitalist swines that you are not a consumer whore! Resist! Protest! Stock up enough food to last you through the day!
Are you a spokeperson for a chain grocery store?
Michael P.

2007-10-23, 19:03

I was going to post a similar question. I'd been wondering if it is worth waiting until Black Friday if I want a Macbook Pro, or if I may as well buy it sooner. It's a halfway-emergency, as my laptop is slowly, er, soiling itself, and I need something reliable to get through the semester with--and something that will handle all of my needs for a good long time after. Since I'm a student, I can get the education discount--does anyone know if that would apply to a Black Friday sale price as well, or are they mutually exclusive? It's clear from what you guys are saying that a BF sale price probably wouldn't equal the education discount, assuming the model I'm after even goes on sale.

So what advice have you got for me? I'm so thoroughly disgusted with Windows that I'm definitely switching (official 'updates' to WinXP have caused loads of problems on both of my pc's, as well as my wife's pc), I'm just concerned about my wallet--being a grad student doesn't pay too well.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-10-23, 20:14

Link to last year's discounts:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...006/11/24/6070
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-10-23, 20:37

There yah go, only two Macs were price reduced.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-10-23, 20:49

When Black Friday comes I'll stand down by the door. And catch all the grey men as they dive from the fourteenth floor. When Black Friday comes I'll collect everything I'm owed. And before my friends find out I'll be on the road.

When Black Friday comes I'm gonna dig myself a hole, Gonna lay down in it till I satisfy my soul, Gonna let the world pass by me, the Archbishop gonna sanctify me, And if he don't come across I' m gonna let it roll.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-10-23, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
There yah go, only two Macs were price reduced.
Of course, they were Apple's two mass-market Macs, and their most popular. (I don't think many businesses are going to be out buying Mac Pros and Xserves on Black Friday. )

And as for the Mac mini, well, Apple obviously isn't going to hack $100 off of that (although they really should). Unless it's some sort of EOL thing, which might happen this year.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
agent302
"I'm learnding!"

Send a message via AIM to agent302  
2007-10-23, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P. View Post
I was going to post a similar question. I'd been wondering if it is worth waiting until Black Friday if I want a Macbook Pro, or if I may as well buy it sooner. It's a halfway-emergency, as my laptop is slowly, er, soiling itself, and I need something reliable to get through the semester with--and something that will handle all of my needs for a good long time after. Since I'm a student, I can get the education discount--does anyone know if that would apply to a Black Friday sale price as well, or are they mutually exclusive? It's clear from what you guys are saying that a BF sale price probably wouldn't equal the education discount, assuming the model I'm after even goes on sale.

So what advice have you got for me? I'm so thoroughly disgusted with Windows that I'm definitely switching (official 'updates' to WinXP have caused loads of problems on both of my pc's, as well as my wife's pc), I'm just concerned about my wallet--being a grad student doesn't pay too well.
The education discount and the Black Friday discount are mutually exclusive, historically. So for you, there's really no point to waiting.

In fact, if you specifically want a MacBook Pro, waiting for Black Friday won't do you any good since they only discount the iMacs and MacBooks, usually. And the education discount on a MacBook Pro is $200. Hope that helped.
Partial
Stallion

2007-10-23, 22:48

Apple is cheap. I'll stick with Best Buy (though this year i'll probably be working but make about 400-500$ that day).

That 22" Westinghouse LCD deal last year was amazing. I am hoping for a 24" 1920*1200 monitor this year for 200ish

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-10-24, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
When Black Friday comes I'll stand down by the door. And catch all the grey men as they dive from the fourteenth floor. When Black Friday comes I'll collect everything I'm owed. And before my friends find out I'll be on the road.

When Black Friday comes I'm gonna dig myself a hole, Gonna lay down in it till I satisfy my soul, Gonna let the world pass by me, the Archbishop gonna sanctify me, And if he don't come across I' m gonna let it roll.
Nice one!

Cue guitar.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-10-24, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post

That's on my playlist when I run - it has a great Jeff Porcaro shuffle groove.
Michael P.

2007-10-24, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent302 View Post
The education discount and the Black Friday discount are mutually exclusive, historically. So for you, there's really no point to waiting.

In fact, if you specifically want a MacBook Pro, waiting for Black Friday won't do you any good since they only discount the iMacs and MacBooks, usually. And the education discount on a MacBook Pro is $200. Hope that helped.
Yeah, that does help. It's about what I expected, actually. Now I suppose I need to get to work convincing the wife that it's a good idea. She wants me to wait for some magical mythical sale, or for a price-cut when they update the MBP--which I assume would be a) maybe 50 dollars and b) not any time soon.
Boomerangmacuser

2007-10-26, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ View Post
Thanks for the link. Couldn't find one.

So $100 off my iMac. That'll do. If the deals are mutually exclusive then the edu is better. Based on a co-worker who bought a Nano last year, I know it'll be on top of my corporate discount so I'm looking at $1,650 fo a 24". I can live with that.
Michael P.

2007-10-28, 09:39

Thanks guys. This thread helped me convince my wife that we should go ahead and do it now, which we did. I'm typing this on a VERY nice MBP
Freewell

2007-10-29, 11:38

I personally do everything within my power to avoid going anywhere or buying anything on "Black Friday", simply because of the sheer mayhem of mankind that a few 'really good' sales and a bunch of mediocre ones seem to evoke. I have noticed in years gone by that the day itself seems to bring out the most primitive and undesirable behavior in hordes of individuals, many of whom would otherwise be quite tolerable. No sale is worth putting up with insufferable rudeness time and again throughout the course of a single day. No thanks.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-10-29, 11:48

We just got our holiday hours for our mall. They're insane.

We have to open at six on Black Friday. The entire mall.

I was hoping I'd be able to do a tiny little bit of shopping before work (y'know, racing through Best Buy at 5 a.m., that sort of thing) but nope.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Partial
Stallion

2007-10-29, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
We just got our holiday hours for our mall. They're insane.

We have to open at six on Black Friday. The entire mall.

I was hoping I'd be able to do a tiny little bit of shopping before work (y'know, racing through Best Buy at 5 a.m., that sort of thing) but nope.
I hear you. I have to be at Sears at 4. Our mall opens at 5. Pisses me right off. BTW, Sears ad got leaked online. They have some good deals on electronics and tools.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...