Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 68 of 68 First Previous 64 65 66 67 [68]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-23, 17:50

I’m glad you posted this. I’ve been thinking about one still but not willing to pull the trigger on it. I mean, I know I have to preorder and all that (or over pay for a second hand one) but I want the smaller size and hybrid. Full electric isn’t a good fit for where I live and drive regularly. Plug-in hybrid would be fine though. Maybe for their second generation it will be better. It is also supposed to put out a plug-in hybrid option for the second generation based on what I’ve read. So who knows, maybe they will fix any other the issues you are seeing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-12-23, 18:47

I think the problem is just Ford at this point, not the Maverick itself. The Maverick is a parts bin truck, with few unique parts. Example, the Maverick Hybrid has a unquiet new eCVT transmission not shared with other vehicles. It's been great, other than a few odd cases, which likely is just down to typical manufacture fault levels. For 2021, 2022 and likely 2023 Ford will have the most recalls of any brand! So still dwarfing the recent recalls from Honda and Toyota! Supposedly Ford is going to bring a lot of production that they have been outsourcing back in house to help fix the quality control problems. At this point, I wouldn't trust them with my money again.

The truck it self runs and drives fine, but I would not buy a used 2022! The 23 and 24 model year vehicles have fewer issues already, which is evident from fewer new owner complaints. I did buy a first year of a new model and that has pluses and minuses. More issue for sure, but I also got a lot more features for my money, some of which are no longer available! The price of the Maverick has increased over $6000 for the same build as what I paid in 2022. The hybrid is no longer the stock powertrain and is now a paid option.

Last edited by PB PM : 2023-12-23 at 18:59.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-12-23, 21:24

THANK YOU for sharing your experience. It's invaluable. Sidenote: In making this post you have sufficiently frightened me about buying the Gen1 new Tacoma
😫

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-12-23, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
THANK YOU for sharing your experience. It's invaluable. Sidenote: In making this post you have sufficiently frightened me about buying the Gen1 new Tacoma
😫

Yeah avoid year 1 if you can, it's kind of a beta test. I've heard vehicle techs say it over and over, but I was willing to take some risk. I knew going in there could be issues, I just wasn't expecting this many. I expect it to be less so with the Tacoma because it has a number of shared parts with the new Tundra, which is now on year 3. Still going to be some growing pains, but I have my doubts it would be as bad a Ford.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-25, 21:59

At this point I have amassed an incredible amount of information about each of the models I'm interested in purchasing.

For the past two days I had dropped back down in size to considering a 2024 Honda CRV hybrid. It's definitely a Honda, with Honda steering and functionality. Boring? Yep, but it checks plenty of boxes.

But then I saw something that stopped me dead in my tracks.

It doesn't have a spare tire.

NO ROOM.

What is this even???

Crazy how fast that vehicle went into my dump pile.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-25, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
At this point I have amassed an incredible amount of information about each of the models I'm interested in purchasing.

For the past two days I had dropped back down in size to considering a 2024 Honda CRV hybrid. It's definitely a Honda, with Honda steering and functionality. Boring? Yep, but it checks plenty of boxes.

But then I saw something that stopped me dead in my tracks.

It doesn't have a spare tire.

NO ROOM.

What is this even???

Crazy how fast that vehicle went into my dump pile.

A lot of new vehicles don't have a spare tire. It's been a thing for a while now, reviewers make a big deal about it when a new vehicle does have one.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-26, 09:40

Yeah, my Sienna didn't come with one. A flat tire means call a tow truck now. You can't use fix-a-flat stuff because it kills the sensors in the wheel.

We had to do that middle of last year actually. It sucks when the normal means have been removed. Cost savings for the manufacturer in the name of more cargo space.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-26, 14:32

At least a space saver spare?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-26, 14:46

There's no good place for a spare in the CRV hybrid. It takes up a *lot* of room. This week I'm all about the Passport, with visions of 1st batch Tacoma Gen3 dancing through my head.

GAH!!!!! 😩

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-26, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I think for the hybrids they blame the lack of space on the batteries. Add something like a minivan with storable seats and there is even less space for even a doughnut.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2024-01-26, 15:03

Probably trying to make run-flat tires a thing.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-26, 15:05

They were recommended for my van, but everyone I talked to about them hates them. They are way too ridged and don't absorb rocks/bumps and such like normal tires do.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-26, 15:25

Quote:
Nah, most just come with a tire repair kit. We aren’t just talking about hybrids, just in general. Do a search.

My Maverick came with a ‘full size spare’ as part of a package I got. The tire is not full size, it doesn’t match the mounted tires, but the rim is a matching full size steely. without that package it at least would have come with a space saver. I swapped out the junky OEM tires after 4 months. Still have them, maybe I’ll mount the OEM tire on the steel rim.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-27, 02:50

A friend tried to convince me that run flats were a decent alternative, but that's just because of a recent purchase they made

There are some zany, no good ideas happening in the auto world, driven by people who may not actually be drivers themselves.

The Colorado burying high beam controls in the infotainment screen.

The Subarus making HVAC part of their balky infotainment system.

Toyota nickel and diming customers by requiring you to subscribe to a service to do remote unlock.

This no-spare business is just a bridge too far. Not everyone lives in an urban setting, or will remain in an urban setting. Sure, the battery took up that tire's space. Figure something out.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2024-01-27, 07:28

It's rumored that GMC is dropped CarPlay and Android Auto in the 2025+ designs. I'm not sure if it's all of the models or the EV models but it seems to be happening. If that's the case, I will have owned my last GMC truck. I was eyeing up that GMC Sierra Denali EV too.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-27, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
It's rumored that GMC is dropped CarPlay and Android Auto in the 2025+ designs. I'm not sure if it's all of the models or the EV models but it seems to be happening. If that's the case, I will have owned my last GMC truck. I was eyeing up that GMC Sierra Denali EV too.
It’s not a rumour, they are doing it. Traps users in to their own data collection software with no opt out.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2024-01-27, 10:35

Yeah that's what I've read too on GMAuthority.com. Just haven't really seen if it's only TVs or across the brand.
Quagmire
meh

2024-01-27, 10:53

So far it is only for their EV's.

ICE products will continue to have Carplay/Android Auto.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2024-01-27, 19:10

The one where Consumer Reports totally demolishes the 2024 Chevy Blazer EV.

Wow.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2024-01-28, 12:15

Just watched that review.

Woof.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-28, 13:11

Seems like legislators need to spend some time crafting consumer protections against this trend of blurring the line between a good and a service, and all the bad faith bundling that seeks to hold consumers hostage. Embarrassingly, I don’t have the words to succinctly and precisely drive home my meaning here, but I think you know what I mean. I imagine it should be related to right to repair, though not the same, sort of like right to own, right to operate…
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-28, 16:20

Quote:
Seems like legislators need to spend some time crafting consumer protections against this trend of blurring the line between a good and a service, and all the bad faith bundling that seeks to hold consumers hostage.
While I agree in principle, I'm not sure how that would work. How an we stop them from using a subscription/lease type model, there is nothing illegal about it. Nobody is forced to own a vehicle, it's a privilege, not a right. Right to repair, yes that should be a thing, but as we head towards electrification of vehicles there won't be much the average person or even independent techs can do other than replace modules at high prices.
Quagmire
meh

2024-01-28, 21:42

I don't mind subscriptions per se. But some manufactures are taking it too far. I shouldn't have to pay the manufacture to use my car such as nav or heated seats( outside of paying them one time if they choose to make it an option upon ordering the car)

Subscriptions should be focused on enhancements that make the experience better, but not necessary for basic operation.

I pay the $99/yr( or $10 a month) for Tesla's Connectivity plan. If I decide to cancel it, the basic operation doesn't change. I lose some niceties, but I am not losing the ability for the car to integrate superchargers along the route if I need to charge.

This is what I get.

Quote:
Live Traffic Visualization
Sentry Mode - View Live Camera
Satellite-View Maps
Video Streaming**
Caraoke*
Music Streaming**
Internet Browser*
Nothing critical, but niceties.

GM on the other hand removes Carplay/Android Auto and then if you want navigation forces you to pay a subscription. Nah, people are just going to nav from the phone still, but do it way more dangerously now.

I am just glad the GM car I just ordered will still have Carplay so I don't have to pay for the cars built in nav every month.

giggity
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-28, 23:57

To me the most silly subscriptions are ones like remote start, even if it's built into the key fob. I think Toyota does that, you get a year or so for free, then it's a monthly fee. Something like that is clearly just a cash grab, and that is just nasty to do. It's not like it requires cellar networking to function and it's built in to the fob.

Ford did away with monthly fees to use their app, but I very quickly stopped using it. Far too much data harvesting from the phone, and I have remote start on the key fob. I for one would never pay for navigation, since I hardly ever use a GPS. Maybe two or three times, per year. For many years I used the Tom Tom app in in iOS, because all the maps were on it and update-able for free, and never requires a data connection. Then they moved to a subscription model and that was the end of that. Thankfully the one time pay version bought many years ago still works when I need it, even though it was discontinued years ago, which is nice because you never know when you might need it and there is no signal, but GPS is available.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-29, 01:25

I just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out if I can put a spare tire in the spare tire area of the Honda Accord hybrid and I STILL DON'T KNOW. Sure, there are some videos suggesting you can, but I won't trust the solution until I see one in person.

There's a video of the CRV with the (previously dedicated to spare tire) hybrid battery area exposed, and it's clear that they bolted that shit in there without proper engineering; it's a mid-version tweak - chewing gum and baling wire. Honda could have probably accommodated the tire if they'd tried. Shaving off MPG over customer safety is crazy.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-29, 09:48

If we’ve learned anything about vehicle manufacturing companies, it’s that they will do anything to save a buck and increase profits. Unless the government mandates that all vehicles should have a spare tire, they’ll do what they want.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-29, 11:31

That is so true. Wait 'til they reduce the size, increase the price and tell us it is for our benefit!

For the spare tire thing... when was the last time you had a flat and had to use your spare? This was the thing that hit me when I realized I didn't have one and would be left feeling at a loss without one.

Just thinking about me personally, I've had exactly one flat tire in the last 30 years or so. Add Mrs T into the mix and I think we would be at 3 total. I'm talking, blown sidewall not screw in tread. You can continue to inflate a screw in the treads where you can't do anything about sidewall.

So how needed is the spare tire really? Do I like having one on all my vehicles, yes. Is it REALLY needed? No. Do I keep extra belts in my car in case one of them snaps, nope. What about radiator fix in case I hit a rock just right and put a hole in it? Nope.

There are so many things that can break on a vehicle that we don't really have to worry about. Keep up with maintenance and pay attention to your equipment and it is less of a problem than it seems. If you happen to be going into no man's land and would like a spare, that makes more sense. Today's interstate systems and urban driving, a spare is just not as needed.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2024-01-29, 14:20

I honestly cannot (but I can) understand why these big automakers are saying CarPlay and Android Auto are distractions/unsafe/unwanted/etc..

So many people I know only want a car with one of those in them. I specifically bought the Mini we have because this one had CarPlay and another one didn't.

Manufacturers should have acknowledged they lost the software battle years ago, but instead, they're trying to follow Tesla and have their own nonsense.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-29, 15:40

All about gathering and selling owner/user data. They see how much Google is getting from Android and want a bigger percentage of the pie. Many brands will use the Google car software that will replace Android auto and the built in stuff. For Apple it will be a bit blow, other than the long rumored Apple car they’ll be shut out.