User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Sunlight Desk and Floor Lamps, are they worth it?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sunlight Desk and Floor Lamps, are they worth it?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-08, 16:38

For those of us here in the northern hemisphere the nights are long and days are short. I noticed I have been dragging a lot lately and so I decided to open up my blinds and let there be light, natural light. Problem being there isn't much. I think I read on a photography forum something about someone using a "natural light" lamp in Alaska during their winter months.

So now I have this realization that the lighting in my house sucks. Trying to take decent pictures in here without the flash was actually my first clue. So here is my question, how can I get "sunlight" during the middle of the night or during the winter months where real light is scarce. Are these lamps worth it? Do you use one, what kind do you use and can I get it here in the U.S.?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-08, 16:46

You should read up on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_therapy and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasona...ctive_disorder

If you feel lack of sunlight has a massive effect on your average mood, getting an intense light source to emulate sunlight is definitely a good idea.

That said, I haven't gotten one yet, and really should.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-08, 17:02

I don't think I quite fall into "SAD", but those articles do "shed some light" on the topic for me. I think I just need to spend some money on lighting in this place. I would like to hear some real personal experience with these lights though. Everything sounds good, but what about from someone who isn't being paid to advertise it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-12-08, 17:10

Eh, we have a "natural sunlight" floor lamp downstairs... I don't really like it; it's big and bright and intense and very white.

I'm in a better mood with the lighting in my room... it's all diffused incandescent (or incandescent-color CFL) lighting such as rope lights, lights aimed at the ceiling, etc... it makes the whole room glow softly for a very neat effect.

I do have a natural daylight desk lamp though... I use it all the time for writing and electronics work. However, you don't need to bother spend a ton on a name-brand fixture (I'm borrowing this one from my mom)... just buy a full-spectrum CFL and stick it in any socket.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2006-12-08 at 17:31.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-12-08, 17:16

Oddly enough, I'm the opposite camp... having an overhead (or any bright) light on at night keeps me up. All night, in many cases. Until it gets dark, I don't get sleepy... so we have a floor lamp in the living room with a cream shade, and a 60W bulb. After about 9, the overheads go off, and that comes on. The diffuse, low light tells me it's time to wind down.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-08, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I don't think I quite fall into "SAD", but those articles do "shed some light" on the topic for me. I think I just need to spend some money on lighting in this place. I would like to hear some real personal experience with these lights though. Everything sounds good, but what about from someone who isn't being paid to advertise it.
Well, I'm not sure asking for personal experiences is effective, since most people would "suffer" placebo effect in this situation. I.e., if they were to invest money into such a light, they'd want it to have an effect, and subconsciously start believing that it does have an effect even when it doesn't at all, or believe the effect to be greater than it actually is. As far as I can tell, this would be immeasurable in either case.

Paging tori.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-12-08, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Paging tori.
Spelling, Amos, or file?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-08, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Oddly enough, I'm the opposite camp... having an overhead (or any bright) light on at night keeps me up. All night, in many cases. Until it gets dark, I don't get sleepy... so we have a floor lamp in the living room with a cream shade, and a 60W bulb. After about 9, the overheads go off, and that comes on. The diffuse, low light tells me it's time to wind down.
I would likely be the same, but I only have two overhead lights in this place. Dining Room and Kitchen. My bathrooms have the lights on the wall. All the other rooms have switch controlled outlets. If I could get more light during the day until I'm ready to go to bed it would be great. That's what I'm after. The reason I need the light in the late evening is I normally don't go to bed until about 2am.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-12-08, 17:23

I can't comment on full spectrum bulbs, but I am very finicky about lighting, and am big fan of natural light.

For inevitable dark days, I've found that torchiere or gooseneck lamps do wonder in providing indirect lighting that is more pleasing to my eyes than a ugly yellow overhead light which is invariably obstructed by even uglier fixture. Consequently, I never use the overhead fixtures and never looked back.

I should clarify that track fixture are in their class of own even if placed on ceiling, though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-08, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Well, I'm not sure asking for personal experiences is effective, since most people would "suffer" placebo effect in this situation. I.e., if they were to invest money into such a light, they'd want it to have an effect, and subconsciously start believing that it does have an effect even when it doesn't at all, or believe the effect to be greater than it actually is. As far as I can tell, this would be immeasurable in either case.

Paging tori.
That fits too with abb talking about how he doesn't like the bright lights. When I was his age I didn't like them either.
chucker

2006-12-08, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Spelling, Amos, or file?
Much as I wouldn't mind to hear some piano music right now, it should be obvious from the context of the thread which one I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
That fits too with abb talking about how he doesn't like the bright lights. When I was his age I didn't like them either.
Key phrase being "when you were his age". That kind of perception presumably changes drastically during and after adolescence.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-12-08, 17:31

bright light can be bad too and cause elevated stress, higher blood pressure and other problems...

we have a drugstore at the back of our townhome and it is required to have lamps on 24hrs (liability reason in the parking lot i think) and it really makes it impossible to get any room on that side of the house dark.

I wish there was a company that made blinds that really made a room completely dark. no light let through.....

you almost have to go through the trouble of hanging blankets over the windows.... i ripped down the curtain rod in my last apartment trying this trick
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-08, 17:46

Yes, but that is why you have a light switch in your home.

Age might have a lot to do with it. I will say that I can sleep through daylight without issue. I learned that trick in the Navy. Now maybe times really have just changed for me. I'm not really sure, either way I noticed I need better lighting.

I've been going through GE's site in their lighting section and noticed the highest bulb I have found them list is the "Reveal" bulbs. We actually have many of them in our home. I can't think of but a few places that have standard bulbs. Fluorescent is only in the kitchen, those are plain too.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-12-08, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby View Post
I wish there was a company that made blinds that really made a room completely dark. no light let through.....
Buy a 4'x8' sheet of Polyisocyanurate insulation... it's about 4 bucks per board, and each sheet can be cut to fit multiple windows... not only is it rigid, clean, and opaque, but it'll lower your heating bills once installed.

You ask me for a hamburger.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-08, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
Buy a 4'x8' sheet of Polyisocyanurate insulation... it's about 4 bucks per board, and each sheet can be cut to fit multiple windows... not only is it rigid, clean, and opaque, but it'll lower your heating bills once installed.
I just used black poster board for my windows when I was in high school. Funny how things change.....
chucker

2006-12-08, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
But… but… that's a government page! Surely it has an evil agenda!!
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-12-08, 18:42

why can't there just be a nice commercial easy to open, easy to close solution that leaves the room pitch black
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-08, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby View Post
why can't there just be a nice commercial easy to open, easy to close solution that leaves the room pitch black
Ask and you shall receive.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-08, 21:22

Ok, so to test out some theories on me needing better lighting I moved another lamp into my office. I turned them up to the brightest settings and worked in the room for a bit. One is a Halogen torch lamp and the other is is a three position incandescent bulb torch lamp with a Reveal bulb in it. I had a desk lamp, but it shines from high on my best putting the glare right into my eyes.

Anyway, after working in the office for a few hours I was feeling more energetic. Not ready to run a marathon or anything, but it was less lethargic. now I'm sitting in my living room with only one torch lamp and I have already taken a nap in the chair while working on my new clamshell.

My lighting sucks.