User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread
Page 24 of 31 First Previous 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28  Next Last Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-23, 23:38

Midnight Sky was disappointing.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-25, 13:38

SN9 flight attempt scheduled for today!
Quote:
The window for today’s launch is between 1:00 and 7:00 p.m. EDT (12:00 to 6:00 p.m. CST). That said, it’s hard to predict these things, and there’s no guarantee the rocket will even go up today. The test vehicle, Starship prototype SN9, is set to launch from the company’s facility in Boca Chica, Texas.
Quagmire
meh

2021-01-25, 20:09

I was in the area on Sunday and made a visit....

https://i.imgur.com/LU9Sp6A.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/V6nAPz4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nPsryxr.jpg
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-26, 09:59

That is awesome! I would love to be able to see something like that in person. The closest I ever got was watching a shuttle launch from my ship in Cape Canaveral through the Big Eyes.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-26, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Top Secret Rocketry® out in the open for all to see.

Love the pics, and glad you were able to make the trip.
Quagmire
meh

2021-02-01, 19:05

Second visit resulted in double the rocket fun.

https://i.imgur.com/bridBG5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sEoSime.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p1snnGq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wfU9O7R.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oU2RvDT.jpg

giggity
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-01, 19:21

SN9 must be broken?
Quagmire
meh

2021-02-01, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
SN9 must be broken?
Nah, just FAA paperwork. Should be able to try tomorrow as reports should be able to get FAA approval today. Don't believe the media reports of the hold up. Way off base( reason behind paywall and can't say publicly).

giggity
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-01, 23:30

Interesting that SN10 would be 13 inches from SN9 when the thing goes up.

Yeah, I know, perspective and all that. But if SN9 lands a bit off course …

SpaceX: Getting you to space—no matter what!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Quagmire
meh

2021-02-02, 09:48

FAA approval gained. Going for launch today.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-02, 12:08

I've got the live feed on. It just blows my mind that SN10 is parked *maybe* 200 yards from SN9 right before launch! Those guys are ballsy, I'll give them that!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-02-02, 13:29

Seeing this thread reminded me. A friend of mine just got a new job at Blue Origin, working on this thing: https://www.blueorigin.com/blue-moon/ Pretty cool!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-02, 15:41

I tell ya, watching that thing launch and then "not launch" right next to the multi-million dollar SN10 is just …

These guys are crazy, that's all I can say. But, dang they're fun to watch.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-02, 15:57

KABOOM!!!!!

Good data.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-03, 16:11

By the way, if you like space stuff and you ever get SUPER bored, here is a realtime Apollo moon-landing website. Literally, realtime! You might need a few days, but who hasn't got the time?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-18, 09:13

Mars landing happening today around 2:15PM EST with actual expected touchdown around 3:55PM EST. LifeHacker has some details about the rover landing.

NASA Live will be hosting details on their site with live video too. "NASA will provide multiple feeds of live landing coverage of the Perseverance Mars Rover, leading up to the rover's landing at approximately 3:55 p.m. EST."

NASATV will be live Streaming before 2PM but going specifically to the mission once it is time.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-18, 16:14

We did it. It is still amazing to me how we can make stuff like this happen when there are so many variables involved.

First pictures are in and the Inspiration flight test is coming up.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-18, 17:12

Well, the hard part is over with. Now all they have to do is keep their eyes on it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-18, 17:20

I hope it films a big spaceship or a city. Or the camera pans around and some creature leans down and looks directly into the camera.

There's your "holy shit!" moment that forever changes the world. Frankly, I think we need it.

Fingers crossed.

PS - I'm being 110% serious.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-18, 18:18

None of those things is going to happen. But, I am waiting for someone to get hold of the video this thing is going to produce and runs it through that deepfake stuff to put little green dudes in there. The conspiracy UFO types will go bananas that the government is hiding aliens on Mars!

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-02-18, 18:22

I heard the footage is really being faked on a soundstage deep in the desert. It's being produced by those monolith guys.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-18, 18:31

Would that be Capricorn II?

I've been waiting for the sequel!

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-02-18, 20:05

I fricking love the Skycrane. It's such a goddamned guano loco concept that should never have worked AND YET...

“Okay, so we’re gonna drop it into the atmosphere, and then pop a chute.”

“Cool, so you’re going to ride the chute in.”

“NOPE! We’re gonna cut that sucker free after a while, drop outta it like a baby colt leavin' mama, and go to rockets.”

“Oh! Direct thrust landing, got it.”

“Ah hell no, we’re gonna *hover*, and then *winch* the lander down to the surface, then the rocket is gonna take off like a bat outta hell and shoot off elsewhere.”

“… You missed your medication dose again, didn’t you.”
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-18, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The conspiracy UFO types will go bananas that the government is hiding aliens on Mars!
No need.

A woman I know long ago dove into QAnon frequently posts links to some of the WILDEST aliens-are-already-here material you have ever seen.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-18, 21:47

I can't throw in with those conspiracy types. When I lived in California, after Phil Hendrie's show went off, on came Art Bell. Holy shit.

But he was harmless, and it was entertaining (sometimes even a little scary, which I like...a good eerie tale). I have some nice memories of driving out to Joshua Tree late, late at night and listening to the Art Bell show off KFI AM-640 out of L.A. ("More Stimulating Talk Radio" was their slogan). Nothing quite like being in the middle of the Palm Desert/Yucca Valley/Twentynine Palms at 2-3am, hearing UFO/aliens discussion and stories while looking up at more stars than you've ever seen in your life. But, man...he'd have some real fruit loops on sometimes.

It's those Alex Jones types I can't deal with, and I've known/worked with a few of them over the years. Everything - everything - is some huge, convoluted "plot". Or everything was a front/facade. Just no talking to these people about anything normal.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-18, 22:01

Art Bell was a storyteller, Alex Jones is insane, today's landing was awesome.

I had to listen to it via YouTube as I was driving mom back from a check-up x-ray after her fall this past November.

Still exciting.

Cannot WAIT to see what comes out of the chopper. Not sure when they're going to get that thing launched.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-18, 22:11

What's it going to do? Take pictures/video? Or dig?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-18, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
What's it going to do? Take pictures/video? Or dig?
Gender reveal.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-18, 22:38

Got it. Hope nothing blows up.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-19, 14:20

Wow, this is a cool shot released by NASA right before the rover hit the deck!

Apparently there is video and audio out there too. I haven't see that just yet but this image is just awesome.