User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 4 of 33 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
Undo Redo

2010-06-11, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Is it just me or are commercials always louder than the actual TV show. I hate this. I think I recall reading something about legislation that would regulate this tactic, but I may be wrong. It drives me nuts.
Yep. It's been that way for years. Some TVs are marketed to automatically lower the volume of the commercials to equal things out but I've never seen one that actually succeeded in doing that.
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2010-06-11, 23:53

Regarding "The Good Guys", it's from the creator of Burn Notice, another action show which has a sense of humor. I think I like Burn Notice more, but the veteran cop in TGG is worth a few chuckles, and so I'll stick with the show for sure.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-06-11, 23:54

Quote:
Is it just me or are commercials always louder than the actual TV show.
Not just you. It's a tactic that's been used for years (decades?) to draw more attention to the ads.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-11, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Not just you. It's a tactic that's been used for years (decades?) to draw more attention to the ads.
More like draw me away from the tv. But even then, if they annoy me enough to do something about it, I'm guessing the marketing people are happy because I've thought about it. No win situation.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-06-23, 09:31

I rented Mad Men from Netflix. Watched the first episode last night.

I don't get it. Why do people love it so much? Yes, the production is top-notch - it's like watching a movie. The retro cars and clothes are fun and yes, everyone brings up that it's so hilarious that everyone is constantly smoking. But I don't get it.

And I know this is based on just one episode, but if this is what the rest of the series is going to be like, why should I bother watching all of it?

Is it just a series of well-done set pieces or does anything actually happen? The TV shows and movies I like, I like because they keep me interested somehow.
murbot
Hoonigan

2010-06-23, 10:13

Any Breaking Bad fans here still going over the final 2 episodes in their heads?!

JESUS what a way to end a season.

Want. More.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-06-23, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Any Breaking Bad fans here still going over the final 2 episodes in their heads?!

JESUS what a way to end a season.

Want. More.
I still need to start watching this series. Everyone I've talked to raves about, but hopefully their glowing reviews haven't built up too much hype for it.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-23, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post

Is it just a series of well-done set pieces or does anything actually happen? The TV shows and movies I like, I like because they keep me interested somehow.
Everything happens.
iDaver

2010-06-23, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I rented Mad Men from Netflix. Watched the first episode last night.

I don't get it. Why do people love it so much? Yes, the production is top-notch - it's like watching a movie. The retro cars and clothes are fun and yes, everyone brings up that it's so hilarious that everyone is constantly smoking. But I don't get it.
Me too. I didn't get past the first disc.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-06-24, 20:41

Anyone else watching the hour-long premier of Futurama tonight? The new non-movie episodes are finally on! I had thought about spinning together Futurama AN theme but never got around to it.

Just 20 minutes away (10 PM Eastern) on Comedy Central!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-06-24, 20:42

you failed us Brad!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-24, 20:48

I enjoy "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS. Much like "How It's Made", it's "comfort food" for the eyes/ears. It's not "edgy", loud or offensive to any of the senses. How many shows can you say that about these days?

I enjoy sitting back, seeing some neat furniture, vintage toys, old tools or original artwork, learning a little about it all...and then seeing the reactions on people's faces when they learn some knick-knack they've had sitting on a shelf in the den is worth $11,000 (and is only one of four in existence).

Those are fun moments.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-24, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Anyone else watching the hour-long premier of Futurama tonight? The new non-movie episodes are finally on! I had thought about spinning together Futurama AN theme but never got around to it.

Just 20 minutes away (10 PM Eastern) on Comedy Central!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
you failed us Brad!
This. And I was just recovering from my disappointment when there wasn't special speedholes for the finale of Lost.

Just kidding Brad, we love you. <3 <3

(But seriously the complete series comes out August 24 and considering AppleNova could be making $8 from each Blu-ray purchase maybe an inexplicable plot twist will be in order for the header, hmm hmm? )

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-24, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I enjoy "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS. Much like "How It's Made", it's "comfort food" for the eyes/ears. It's not "edgy", loud or offensive to any of the senses. How many shows can you say that about these days?

I enjoy sitting back, seeing some neat furniture, vintage toys, old tools or artwork, learning a little about it all...and then seeing the reactions on people's faces when they learn some knick-knack they've had sitting on a shelf in the den is worth $11,000 and is only one of four in existence.
It's a really bad show to watch if you have hoarding tendencies though
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-09-13, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Another show I've been watching this season is Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It's a real guilty pleasure. It's available on Netflix: Watch Instantly, but actually a Starz show. It's basically 300 amped up about 10 notches with excessive and gratuitous nudity and violence. Definitely not for the faint of heart. The actor who plays Spartacus, Andy Whitfield, was recently diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, but they caught it early. I'm hoping he pulls through. He definitely could have a big career ahead of him.
Sad news about Andy Whitfield, if you haven't heard.
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-09-24, 18:01

So, uh, Fringe. Are we to assume Peter is off in a third universe where the new shape-shifters originate from?
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2011-09-24, 19:09

Quote:
Is it just me or are commercials always louder than the actual TV show. I hate this. I think I recall reading something about legislation that would regulate this tactic, but I may be wrong. It drives me nuts.
It's so that when you go to the kitchen to make a cup of tea/coffee/snack/etc you can still hear the commercials. Quite clever really!

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-09-24, 19:16

We're watching Breaking Bad now that it's on Netflix streaming. Only 2 episodes in, but we love it.
Bonn89

2011-09-24, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
We're watching Breaking Bad now that it's on Netflix streaming. Only 2 episodes in, but we love it.
My roommates and I just watch the first episode this afternoon on Netflix. Totally looks like something I could get in to.

Personally, I'm waiting for 9 PM to roll around here on the East Coast so I can get my Doctor Who fix.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-09-24, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
My roommates and I just watch the first episode this afternoon on Netflix. Totally looks like something I could get in to.

Personally, I'm waiting for 9 PM to roll around here on the East Coast so I can get my Doctor Who fix.
YES! Wow, this episode is unbelievable.

Can’t believe we have to wait a week for this wedding though.
JohnnyTheA

2011-09-26, 20:45

I so rarely watch new TV shows but I like "Pawn Stars" a lot...
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-09-26, 22:15

Watching the premier of "Terra Nova." Not looking promising, but we haven't gotten to the dinosaurs yet. The CG for the city of the future is shockingly bad. I thought this was a high profile Steven Spielberg produced 2 hour pilot which will have a big effect on the fortunes of the show? Why the hell wouldn't they pony up for some decent city models? This looks like the stuff they make for the direct to video SyFy schlock fests. Weird.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-09-26, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
So, uh, Fringe. Are we to assume Peter is off in a third universe where the new shape-shifters originate from?
Who knows. Maybe he's a watcher now. Looking forward to this season though. Every episode of Fringe last season was worth watching. Can't say that about too many shows these days.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-26, 23:33

Remember the finale of a little show called Lost, and the clearly foam sets ... ugh. We are too well trained for picking out visual bullshit...
¡Damned!

2011-09-27, 14:00

I had my finger on the channel-change button during the first hour of Terra Nova, but once a few limbs started flying I relaxed a bit. The second hour was much, much better, with some neat possibilities for future episodes. Very LOST-like with the rogue group and the leader's insane(?) son scrawling shit into rocks.

I'm most looking forward to tomorrow night's premier of the second season of Luther. If you haven't seen the first season, do yourself a favor and find it NOW. It is fantastic.

So it goes.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-09-27, 14:15

I didn't like Terra Nova at all. Falling Skies was much better from the start.
¡Damned!

2011-09-27, 14:20

It's not great, but I'll give it a chance. If they can stop leaning on the "family" angle a bit it might be OK. To be honest it's the first time I've watched FOX in about 6 months, so there's something there that would get viewers like me to turn the channel their way. I bet it did pretty well in the ratings (or maybe not, I'm not really the guy that's a barometer for "hit" shows).

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-09-27, 14:26

I think Gordon Ramsay should be getting his own channel by now. He's got 3 shows and a 4th in the works, and I could watch that guy yell at people for 24 hours a day.

So it goes.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-09-27, 14:33

I would be in complete favor of this. I love Kitchen Nightmare but I've been getting into the F Word more so the last few months. I haven't really watched any of his other shows though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I think Gordon Ramsay should be getting his own channel by now. He's got 3 shows and a 4th in the works, and I could watch that guy yell at people for 24 hours a day.
I thought Terra Nova was better then I expected. The CGI was kind of cheesy in parts but overall it was pretty decent. The first hour was a little slow but it picked up in the second hour. I will definitely be watching again.

As for part 2 of the first episode of Two and a Half Men, I thought it was awful. Ashton Kutcher is not funny. Charlie Sheen made that show and everyone else just played off of him. It's no where near the same quality. This show should be done after this season. That show also recycles more characters then any other show I've ever seen. Ashton Kutchers wife in the new episode was on there before as Herbs sister I believe and Charlie slept with her.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
¡Damned!

2011-09-27, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I would be in complete favor of this. I love Kitchen Nightmare but I've been getting into the F Word more so the last few months. I haven't really watched any of his other shows though.
I was watching The F Word from online sources *cough* and I think it's my favorite of the 3. I'm sure you've seen "Hell's Kitchen" - that show was huge for the last couple of years. Now that The F Word is playing on BBC America it's a nice way to catch up on episodes that I missed.

I just got into cable recently after living my whole life without. AT&T was running a special on their UVerse thing and I gave it a go. Now I don't know what I what do without my Dr. Who and Science channel. Plus, there's a new channel called "cloo" that runs non-stop Law & Order and House (and Texas Walker Ranger Whatever, but I have no interest in that at all), which is about as awesome as it comes. I was on OTA HD before this, and that's the only time I ever really watched 2.5 Men. It was never funny to me, but hey, scantily clad chicks (which I suspect is 90% of the interest in that show).

So it goes.