AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Email notification not working?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Email notification not working?
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-08-01, 17:26

Hello,

Has anyone had trouble with the reply notification system recently, let's say in the last week? I haven't got any emails from AppleNova since July 24. To my knowledge I haven't changed any settings. Any idea what's going on?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-08-01, 17:32

No spam filtering going on?
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-08-01, 17:49

Mine isn't working either!!

I mentioned it to Brad.

I even tried changing my email address to see if that would work. I never even received my confirmation email. Brad had to manually go in and accept it for me.

I have now spam filters preventing Applenova emails.

I hope this gets fixed. I've been going through withdrawal this past week

Deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-08-01, 17:55

I'll test a few ideas tonight and let you know if I discover anything unusual.

edit: Wait... The 24th? Damn. That's when I discovered some other server problems started because of a goofed apache recompile. Looks like I'll be shooting another email to our hosting company.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-01, 18:32

Just to put it out here, I'm having the same issue and had to have alc re-activate my account because I couldn't verify the new address I tried.

I've tried Hotmail, My web host, my ISP (Cox) and all for nothing. I still haven't seen a message from here since the 24th also.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-08-01, 23:21

Sorry for the slow reply, alcimedes. The email address I have registered with AppleNova doesn't seem to filter anything at all, so the problem is probably not a spam filter issue at my end.

Not the end of the world by any means, but I was starting to really scratch my head. Especially as there wasn't a mention of the problem by anyone else. Hope it's not a complicated thing to fix. You guys do a great job keeping this site up and running. It seems to have better availability and reliability than some of the really big websites I use (www.photo.net for example).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-08-02, 07:13

For what it's worth, I did some tests and identified this as a problem with the configuration of the server. Apache and PHP were rebuilt on the 24th, but several things were configured incorrectly at that time, breaking not only the email support but also breaking GD and ImageMagick (used for the registration CAPTCHA). Our tech contact should be looking into the problem today.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2007-08-02, 08:34

Bummer that it's affecting activation for new members. I have to wonder if they'll see the sticky. Must have been a few new registrations that have fallen by the wayside. Will they get their email after it's fixed if they don't realize there's a problem?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-08-02, 08:41

Unfortunately, no. These messages fail less-than-gracefully and will not retry. I'll need to manually run a query on the database to gather and activate the affected users. I'll do that when I get home later tonight and then periodically until the problem is fixed.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-08-02, 08:48

Is there some sort of notification listed on the registration page? It might be helpful for people to see a message (or a link to the announcement) on that page about the server issues. I'm betting a lot of people won't see the announcement.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-08-02, 08:57

Actually, I've just now temporarily disabled the mandatory email confirmation step of the registration process. Users can now register and post immediately.

That should ease new incoming users, at least.

crazychester

2007-08-02, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
Is there some sort of notification listed on the registration page? It might be helpful for people to see a message (or a link to the announcement) on that page about the server issues. I'm betting a lot of people won't see the announcement.
Yeah, especially when none of us have either noticed or bothered to mention it for close to 10 days.

Obviously in future we should tell somebody sooner. I'm afraid I noticed I wasn't getting email notifications at least 3 or 4 days ago. Putting something on the registration page sounds like a good idea if it's easily doable.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-08-02, 11:11

Heh. You guys must subscribe to threads much more than me. I don't think I ever use that feature. The only AN emails I get are notifications of PMs.
sirnick4
I was knighted

2007-08-02, 14:54

I just wish this was going on with MacRumors. I'm tired of receiving email notifications from them. I HAVE THE DAMN THING TURNED OFF!!!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-08-02, 14:59

I'm confused. You get notifications from MacRumors even when you've turned off the option? That does suck.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-08-02, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnick4 View Post
I just wish this was going on with MacRumors. I'm tired of receiving email notifications from them. I HAVE THE DAMN THING TURNED OFF!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm confused. You get notifications from MacRumors even when you've turned off the option? That does suck.
That used to happen to me *here* too, even though I'd long had the email option turned off.

I had to 'unsuscribe' to the specific threads for which I was still getting emails. That seemed to work.
sirnick4
I was knighted

2007-08-02, 15:12

Quote:
Yep. Sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
That used to happen to me *here* too, even though I'd long had the email option turned off.

I had to 'unsuscribe' to the specific threads for which I was still getting emails. That seemed to work.
Thanks, Windswept. I'm trying that now. I don't know why I even had "instant email notification" turned on for that site anyways. The community as a whole there is filled with idiots... Not everyone, of course.

It just reminds me how much better the Applenova community is.

Deal with it.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-08-03, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Heh. You guys must subscribe to threads much more than me. I don't think I ever use that feature. The only AN emails I get are notifications of PMs.
Yep, me too. I'm on here enough that I don't need notification of posts.
crazychester

2007-08-04, 18:33

Email notifications are back! Yay! Crisis over.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-08-05, 08:13

Well done Brad (and anyone else involved).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-22, 10:57

Just checking to see if it's only me who's lost email notifications again. I had an email issue this past weekend, but it's resolved and I'm still not getting updates.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-08-22, 11:20

I just tested and it worked for me.

Check your spam filters? Etc?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-22, 12:22

Quote:
I just tested and it worked for me.

Check your spam filters? Etc?
Does vB auto-unsubscribe if the message bounces back? I think that might be what happened while my email situation was getting resolved. I'll change address in User CP and see if it fixes it.