User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Capella Wasn't Here Mac Studio Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Capella Wasn't Here Mac Studio Thread
Page 7 of 7 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7]  Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-04-03, 01:17

All three of them are more involved than they seem.

2 comes with the caveat that it would require an external power supply. 1 is, well, a whole lotta stuff I’m too sleepy to get into.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-04-03, 15:03

Yeah, I get that. But I think with a bit more persistence, Apple could have done a bit better on each.

With regard to the external power supply, I've never understood the huge problem people have with it.
You plug it in below your desk and never look at it again. What's the big deal?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-04-03, 15:59

Now that I'm a bit more awake:

Quote:
1. Designing an SSD slot that users can't use.
I don't think this one is a big deal. It's kind of interesting how the story of "OK, but can you at least upgrade it later, at all?" plays out (right now, the answer seems to inexplicably be no: you can replace the chips, but only to others of the same size).

But beyond that, just get an external SSD.

Quote:
2. Non-removable power cable when MacBooks have Magsafe, and the 24" iMac has a new, perfectly good cable design.
I'm with you. Just give it an external power supply. It lets the display run much cooler, so not only can you remove the power supply but also some of the cooling system. And you can give it a connector like the iMac's. Or, make it thicker, and give it a standard connector.

Quote:
3. Three stand options, none of which are interchangeable.
I believe the rumor is that the store personnel will exchange it for you.

This is probably a form over function thing (finances aside) — they could simply always give their monitors a VESA bracket, and then give you a choice of stands to add, but then the back of the screen would look a fair bit more "industrial" than Apple likes.

OTOH, at that point, does it really matter? Tons of stands out there, starting at around $30. Get that config, and ignore Apple's stands, which aren't really all that great for their price point.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-04-03, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
With regard to the external power supply, I've never understood the huge problem people have with it.
You plug it in below your desk and never look at it again. What's the big deal?
What's the big deal with external power supplies? Other than they suck? Ones built in get cooling from the fans, the external ones get hot and under heavy loads can cook themselves shortening the life span of the device. The cords are never long enough and the stupid things are hanging in the air off the desk. I have some sitting on boxes to keep them from dangling, not ever desk is built with cable management in mind after all.
chucker

2022-04-03, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
What's the big deal with external power supplies? Other than they suck? Ones built in get cooling from the fans, the external ones get hot and under heavy loads can cook themselves shortening the life span of the device.
But in this case, the internal power supply heats up the entire display, and shortens the lifespan of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The cords are never long enough
And the weird proprietary cord hanging from this display is?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-04-03, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
But in this case, the internal power supply heats up the entire display, and shortens the lifespan of that.

And the weird proprietary cord hanging from this display is?
Are we talking about the Mac Studio or the display? Though it was the computer? Guess not.
chucker

2022-04-03, 17:34

No, point 1 was about the Mac Studio, but points 2 and 3, by my understanding, are about the display.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-04-03, 18:33

Yep, the non-removable power cord issue is with the Studio Display.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-04-04, 12:55

Reading this today, I began to wonder why Apple didn't simply reuse the Trash Can form factor for the Mac Studio.

I mean, the 'thermal limits' for Apple Silicon are wildly lower than the Trash Can processors, right?
chucker

2022-04-04, 13:06

Yeah, I’d even say the trash can had a nicer thermal design. However, I imagine Apple wants to avoid associations with its reputation.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-04-04, 14:47

The current design is likely much simpler to manufacture, which given supply shortages, is the best way to get things to market.
chucker

2022-04-04, 15:02

I guess I'm a bit confused they would derive their all-new Mac Studio from the 2010(!) Mac mini design. Maybe the Mac Studio is actually a lot older than we think; maybe it's even a reuse of a rejected design that ultimately became the 2013 Mac Pro.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-04, 16:09

It certainly is possible that Apple had designed a larger enclosure for a more powerful Intel chip, but it got thrown out because of heat constraints that only the M1x could solve? So it is also possible that the design is several years old and got recycled.

Still, I have no problem with the design as it exists in pictures. We'll have a floor model in later next week and I'll decide then.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

2022-04-04, 16:39

I mean, it's also the wrong color. The pro stuff should clearly be Slightly Darker Grey™.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-04-04, 21:45

Quote:
I guess I'm a bit confused they would derive their all-new Mac Studio from the 2010(!) Mac mini design. Maybe the Mac Studio is actually a lot older than we think; maybe it's even a reuse of a rejected design that ultimately became the 2013 Mac Pro.
My guess is that they thought using the Mini's existing footprint would allow for accessories to be easily used by both lines.

But other than the OWC MIniStack (which is great except for the ugly logo placement on the front) I don't know of any other 'slices' that are really worth considering.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-04-04, 23:51

I don’t get the hate for the design, it simple and functional. That’s exactly want you want and need from a workstation computer. If it an’t broke, don’t fix it.

Maybe they are saving the dark colour for the true Mac Pro replacement? Maybe the want to save the trash can design (which is where it belongs ) for that machine?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-13, 13:29

We just got our Mac Studio floor model in and put it out. It's still downloading demo software so it will be a bit before I can tell you all that it looks and feels like a Mac.

Otherwise, it's a Big Mac mini with ports on the front, which is super handy.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-07-06, 09:51

All of the Apple Store refurbs of the Studio so far have a 512GB SSD.

Leading to the natural conclusion: The lesser-capacity SSD is not suitable for high-end consumers who are the Studio's target market.
And they are returning the 512GB model in much higher volumes.

I think if Apple had made the Studio's SSD replaceable, no one would be taking about a new 27" iMac and the company would have a clear hit on its hands.

Instead, it goes down as one of their questionable design decisions.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-06, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I think if Apple had made the Studio's SSD replaceable, no one would be taking about a new 27" iMac and the company would have a clear hit on its hands.
The Studio's SSD's are replaceable. Apple just didn't make it easy.

And that has nothing to do with the 27" iMac, which will most likely have non-replaceable SSD's. The $1600 (!) 27" Studio Display is what makes people miss the $1800 27" iMac.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-07-06, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The Studio's SSD's are replaceable. Apple just didn't make it easy.
News to me. Last I heard they could indeed be removed, but there was a software lock preventing the install of a different SSD.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-06, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
News to me. Last I heard they could indeed be removed, but there was a software lock preventing the install of a different SSD.
That is correct, which is why I said that Apple didn't make it easy.
chucker

2022-07-06, 16:07

You can replace them, as long as they’re the same size as the old ones, and then you need to install the OS from scratch, as they’ll get a new hardware encryption key. You can’t just swap between devices.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-07-08, 02:26

Quote:
You can replace them, as long as they’re the same size as the old ones.
What the.....

So Apple has intentionally software-locked users out from installing a higher-capacity hard drive.......forever?
chucker

2022-07-08, 02:38

They're not designed to be installed at all. I don't know how much of this is an intentional, malicious limitation vs. how much is because they've simply never designed this that way.

It's essentially the same design from the Apple Watch all the way up to the Mac Pro: the machine ships with a disk that's tied to the Secure Enclave's hardware key. The Mac Studio and Mac Pro happen to have slots where you could theoretically insert different flash chips, but it doesn't follow that they're designed to let you do that, much less designed to let you upgrade to a higher capacity.