Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Personal Habits vol. 2
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-22, 20:13

Thought it was time for another poll.

Please choose only *one* of each pair.

I was going to make the options anonymous, but I think I'll have names showing after all. I don't think these particular choices are 'extremely' personal, do you? So what's the harm?

It will take me a few minutes to type the poll options.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-22, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
It will take me a few minutes to type the poll options.
We're counting!

Pulled any wacky ideas from this thread? Some of it might make for interesting (funny?) options.

Yay, polls are so much fun!
¡Damned!

2005-11-22, 20:34

That was easy.
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2005-11-22, 20:38

haha seems like everyone here is a procrastinator

go figure...
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-11-22, 20:41

Looky here... 'some quiet time' isn't the opposite of 'seldom like to be alone'.

I prefer to be alone, almost all of the time.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-22, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1129
haha seems like everyone here is a procrastinator

go figure...

Yeah, I love it!

Must be an Apple-type trait.

I always laugh when I see that result.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-22, 20:45

How weird...I'm the only one who would rather tackle something and knock it out (I like the feeling of "okay, I'm done...my time is mine now, and I can do what I want".

I HATE having stuff hanging over me, feeling like I have to "get to it" at some point.

I work first, then play afterwards...guilt/worry-free.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-22, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
Looky here... 'some quiet time' isn't the opposite of 'seldom like to be alone'.

I prefer to be alone, almost all of the time.
Yeah, but you were *still* able to make the choice, right?

I'm having trouble with the *money* option, because I save it up and *then* I spend it quite freely. Hmmm. Which to pick?
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-22, 20:47

OK, so now for a serious response, and I have no shame:

- I am a person with good self-discipline. Lord knows this is hard some days, but I would be less than I expect of myself if I didn't hold myself to a high standard.

- I like to save things and have trouble throwing stuff away. It's a curse. Until you throw something out and need it about two weeks later. Seriously though, I bet you'll find most of the engineering type hang on to stuff, because there's always something you can save---we only throw stuff out if it seems "100% broken." If it's broke, you can at least try to fix it... I mean, it was broken to start with!

- I tend to put off doing things for a while, if I can. Hard work may pay off in the long run, but procrastination always pays off now. Seriously, I may procrastinate, but I never miss a deadline, and will do whatever it takes to make it happen. The results are usually quality.

- I seldom like to be alone. If there's one thing I have learned since May, when I started my job out here at IBM (and got dumped, another story), it's that I hate, hate, hate to be alone. Close friends are what you need when life gets you down. And goodness knows it will.

- I have weird sleep times when my schedule permits. College student, 'nuff said. People this age just seem to work better while most of our timezone sleeps. Don't ask me why, but it sure as heck seems true from my perspective.

- I'm not that crazy about cooking. As in... I wouldn't die if I couldn't cook, but that's not to say it's not fun sometimes. Most likely this is because I haven't tried to do much cooking. Though cheesecakes can be fun!

- In general, I tend to hang on to money as long as possible. Yes, but sometimes this requires spending more up front. For example, I recently blew way too much money on a Quad G5. But it will last me for 5 or 6 years, I'm hoping, which is longer than a series of PC investments, so it should theoretically be cheaper in the long run. Paying more for quality now may save you on repairs and upgrades later. My take on it, at least.

- I consider myself a 'morning' person. Well, I don't get up early if I don't need to, but I'm not grumpy when I am awake early. Usually someone who's not a "morning person" is someone who's grumpy about being up early. I'm usually jovial around other people, no matter when. Thus, a "morning person."

Whew, I'm done.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
Quagmire
meh

2005-11-22, 20:47

Quote:

I'm having trouble with the *money* option, because I save it up and *then* I spend it quite freely. Hmmm. Which to pick?
Carol,

Send your money over to Quags bank. I always save my money. I had a hard time spending $5 of my own money. Let alone $149 for my shuffle, $90 for my 20 GB iPod, etc.

giggity
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-22, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
How weird...I'm the only one who would rather tackle something and knock it out (I like the feeling of "okay, I'm done...my time is mine now, and I can do what I want".

I HATE having stuff hanging over me, feeling like I have to "get to it" at some point.

I work first, then play afterwards...guilt/worry-free.
We'll have to take a sample of your blood, pscates, to see what makes you so different from the rest of us. heh

But I *do* know that if I have to set up a committee, I'm picking *you* as one of the members! haha. Then maybe we'll actually get something done!
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-22, 20:51

Quote:

Perchance you're looking at it wrong? (Though you wrote the poll, so I'm perplexed)

My take on it: do you spend money in a wanton manner when you have it, or do you make sure that you only spend it on things that are really worth it?

Spending money when you don't really have it, versus saving up the money before you spend it... well, that's a completely different issue (one that seems to trouble more people than it should, too).

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-22, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
Carol,

Send your money over to Quags bank. I always save my money. I had a hard time spending $5 of my own money. Let alone $149 for my shuffle, $90 for my 20 GB iPod, etc.
How about that spiffy new CUV you're raving about?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-11-22, 21:12

I don't really have much to add, other than I'd like each question to have its own color in the little graph up top. If thats possible, maybe that would make me feel less dyslexic when reading those results.

Ohh yeah, or it would be cool to get some sort of comparison thing that charts out exactly who voted the same or diff from you and have it tell you who's your soul mate.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-22, 21:13

Quote:
We'll have to take a sample of your blood, pscates, to see what makes you so different from the rest of us. heh
I'm not originally from this planet you call Earth. But let's keep that between us.

Quote:
But I *do* know that if I have to set up a committee, I'm picking *you* as one of the members! haha. Then maybe we'll actually get something done!
Probably not a bad idea. I'll look for my whip...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-22, 21:20

Quote:
I'll look for my whip...
Whoa!

My imagination is *way* too lively!

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-22, 21:38

Quote:
Whoa!

My imagination is *way* too lively!
... ... ...

This quotation might actually be worth keeping around for later, um, "reference."

EDIT: Oh, even better! It's in the "Personal Habits" thread! Heh heh.

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2005-11-22 at 21:39. Reason: Oh, this is just TOO good to let it go...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-22, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed
- I am a person with good self-discipline. Lord knows this is hard some days, but I would be less than I expect of myself if I didn't hold myself to a high standard.
Okay, here's the thing. I *can be* and *am* very disciplined when I *have* to be. I was a very conscientious student in college and always did *all* the assigned work and reading. Same at work.

But when I have just myself to answer to, I am finding self-discipline something I am less apt to *force* on myself. I keep making lists of stuff to do, and actually get *some* of it done, but not *all*. Guess I'll have to start kicking myself in the backside to get more stuff accomplished. *sigh*

Quote:
- I like to save things and have trouble throwing stuff away. It's a curse. Until you throw something out and need it about two weeks later. Seriously though, I bet you'll find most of the engineering type hang on to stuff, because there's always something you can save---we only throw stuff out if it seems "100% broken." If it's broke, you can at least try to fix it... I mean, it was broken to start with!
Yeah, see, I can envision all kinds of uses for these empty shoe boxes, for example. I mean, they'll help me get *organized*, right? Like, each box would be a perfect storage container for a string of Christmas lights. So, can't possibly throw 'those' away. And, definitely, if I *do* toss them, I can absolutely guarantee that I will regret it within a week or two.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-22, 21:48

Once or twice a year, I sit down and have a fling-a-thon...stuff either goes into the trash, or to Goodwill or the Salvation Army (clothes, useful items, etc.).

I used to be a horrible packrat (I'd keep the goofiest things, for no apparent reason), but I turned a corner about 4-5 years ago (partly out of necessity... just moving a lot, and living in smaller, studio-type apartments and not wanting clutter and crap stacked up all over the place, in plain view).

And I came to like the "lightening my load" feeling. Right now, as I sit here, I have a pretty tight, clean place and existence. No clutter, nothing I don't need or use and only a few, truly meaningful sentimental keepsakes (old photos, cards or letters and trinkets from years gone by...in a shoebox under my bed).

My ultimate goal is to get down to a pair of Levi's, my Gibson, my Mac, some jellybeans, 2-3 good inkpens, alarm clock and non-greasy hair pomade.

¡Damned!

2005-11-22, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej
Ohh yeah, or it would be cool to get some sort of comparison thing that charts out exactly who voted the same or diff from you and have it tell you who's your soul mate.
I was just looking at that....and it turns out that Carol is my 'soul mate'.

I'll look for my whip...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-22, 21:50

You can have it when I'm done with it...
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-22, 21:55

Quote:
Okay, here's the thing. I *can be* and *am* very disciplined when I *have* to be. I was a very conscientious student in college and always did *all* the assigned work and reading. Same at work.

But when I have just myself to answer to, I am finding self-discipline something I am less apt to *force* on myself. I keep making lists of stuff to do, and actually get *some* of it done, but not *all*. Guess I'll have to start kicking myself in the backside to get more stuff accomplished. *sigh*
Hmm, looks like we're talking about two different things here. I also have a lot of stuff I want to do, but I can't seem to motivate myself to do it, mostly because I'm so wiped out at the end of a day.

Actually, a lot of it stems from not being as happy as I used to be. Last summer, I completely stripped my desk of its paint and stained it; it's beautiful now. But you know what I had then? A great girlfriend who would hang out and help me work on it some nights. And it wasn't quick; it took probably a week or two of working every night after work. She had no interest in pushing me to finish it, as it wasn't exactly her project, but somehow it was easier to motivate myself. I dunno why.

Moral of that story? Being truly happy and comfortable with your situation seems to help immeasurably when looking to motivate yourself to do a personal project. (Your mileage may vary.)

About my first comment, though: what I meant there is that "self-discipline" extends into not doing the easy or popular things. For example, living in a dorm and refusing to drink until it's legal for me to do so. Especially when things aren't all going just right, doing the "right thing" can be hard.

So in that sense, I was talking about moral discipline, because there are a lot of situations where it's incredibly difficult, but I really would think less of myself if I didn't hold myself to those standards, no matter how tempting the situation may be.

Don't be so down on yourself about it, Carol; we all have a motivation problem... it almost always takes someone else's deadline or stern persistence to get me to actually do something. Well, these days, at least.

murbot
Hoonigan

2005-11-22, 21:58

Quote:
You can have it when I'm done with it...
Do NOT talk about Carol like an object.
¡Damned!

2005-11-22, 22:00

I knew murbot would come up with something for that.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-22, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed
Perchance you're looking at it wrong? (Though you wrote the poll, so I'm perplexed)
Yeah, well, even as I wrote it, I was thinking *how* am I gonna answer 'this' one?

Quote:
My take on it: do you spend money in a wanton manner when you have it, or do you make sure that you only spend it on things that are really worth it?
Well, when I actually got down to answering the poll, it didn't seem as difficult a choice as I had anticipated.

I *do* save up money, and don't think I ever really waste it (well, except lately at Kinko's while my PowerBook has been down ). But a fair part of what I'm saving is intended for trips to Costa Rica, England, Australia, New Zealand, Eastern Europe, etc. So, I save... and then I spend.

If I want something, I buy it. I guess I know that my 'wants' are either sensible or important to me. But I *do* have a LOT of *stuff* - all high quality - all stuff I'm glad I bought. But a limit has been reached on gourmet cooking equipment and books in general. I absolutely stay away from the book section at Costco. Don't even walk down the aisle
Batman

2005-11-22, 22:03

Quote:
Once or twice a year, I sit down and have a fling-a-thon...stuff either goes into the trash, or to Goodwill or the Salvation Army (clothes, useful items, etc.).

I used to be a horrible packrat (I'd keep the goofiest things, for no apparent reason), but I turned a corner about 4-5 years ago (partly out of necessity... just moving a lot, and living in smaller, studio-type apartments and not wanting clutter and crap stacked up all over the place, in plain view).

And I came to like the "lightening my load" feeling. Right now, as I sit here, I have a pretty tight, clean place and existence. No clutter, nothing I don't need or use and only a few, truly meaningful sentimental keepsakes (old photos, cards or letters and trinkets from years gone by...in a shoebox under my bed).

My ultimate goal is to get down to a pair of Levi's, my Gibson, my Mac, some jellybeans, 2-3 good inkpens, alarm clock and non-greasy hair pomade.
Are you a Fop, or a Dapper Dan man?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-22, 22:15

Dapper Dan, all the way.

Funniest scene/dialog, IMO...the whole general store thing.

"...two weeks from everywhere!"
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-11-22, 22:20

Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling we are being slowly but systematically profiled by Carol?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-22, 22:23

Yeah...dossiers on all of us, no doubt.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-11-22, 23:12

I knew Carol was up to no good!

Where's that whip...

Or maybe she's trying to set up a matching service for AN. Who knows. Maybe she's the source of those "FBI" e-mails, that spy Carol.