User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 153 of 221 First Previous 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-20, 09:19

Is Facebook changing its name? According to a bunch of chatter it looks like they might. Branding changes are hard. It will be interesting to see how that pans out. I'm still not going to trust them and continue to block them completely on my network.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-20, 09:32

I kept waiting on the punchline. Is this legit? Is it some sort of palate-cleansing PR move, since the word “Facebook” has been so tainted and twisted, and has become shorthand for “everything shitty about the Internet/social media”?

As for any new name/branding, the jokes write themselves. I can only imagine what some PR/image consulting outfit will come up with.

Perhaps they’ll take a cue from the Team Formerly Known as the Redskins and just go as generic and non-offensive as possible?

The Internet Waste of Space
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-20, 09:39

Or perhaps TwatCentral.

This guy.

When does his rocket go up? Walter Koenig will be on that first flight? Don’t tell me he doesn’t have one. Didn’t he get the memo? All the billionaire pudknockers have a rocket in 2021! Fueled by likes, pedicure selfies and inaccurate posts?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-20, 14:59

A Navy report has concluded there were sweeping failures by commanders, crew members and others that fueled the July 2020 arson fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard, calling the massive five-day blaze in San Diego preventable and unacceptable.
The ship lost was due to complete negligence.

In fact, the report went on to make all the top brass:
Quote:
Specifically, the report said failures of Vice Adm. Brown; Rear Adm. Scott Brown, the fleet maintenance officer for the Pacific Fleet; Rear Adm. William Greene, the fleet maintenance officer for U.S. Fleet Forces Command; Rear. Adm. Eric Ver Hage, commander of the regional maintenance center; Rear Adm. Bette Bolivar, commander of Navy Region Southwest; Capt. Mark Nieswiadomy, commander of Naval Base San Diego; and Capt. Tony Rodriguez, commander of Amphibious Squadron 5, all “contributed to the loss of the ship.”

The report also directly faults the ship’s three top officers — Capt. Gregory Thoroman, the commanding officer; Capt. Michael Ray, the executive officer; and Command Master Chief Jose Hernandez — for not effectively ensuring the readiness and condition of the ship.

“The execution of his duties created an environment of poor training, maintenance and operational standards that directly led to the loss of the ship,” the report said of Thoroman. And it said Ray, Hernandez and Capt. David Hart, commander of the Southwest Regional Maintenance Center, also failed in their responsibilities, which directly led to the loss of the ship.
Quote:
More broadly, the crew was slammed for “a pattern of failed drills, minimal crew participation, an absence of basic knowledge on firefighting” and an inability to coordinate with civilian firefighters.
This makes no sense to me at all. I mean, every duty night on the ship we had fire and security drills. Something always flooded or caught fire and we have to respond. I had nothing to do with damage control on the ship other than being a general crew member (I worked on radars and a specific system as a Fire Controlman, google it.). Even though I wasn't in damage control by rating, I still had to save the ship at all costs.

Heck, my first night ever onboard a ship I walked down a ladder and a chief had taped a bag to a pipe and was waving the bag as I came down. I looked at him like a cow at a new gate and then went about my way wondering what I got myself into.

Turns out that was a flooding drill and I failed to notify the crew but did report to my duty station once the alarm was sounded. The chief spoke to me afterward and realized I was as green as they come and had mercy on me. He actually laughed when I told him I thought he had lost it after seeing him.

Anyway, we trained all the time on every command I've been attached to. So to read about the complete lack of training and organization on that ship in unfathomable. I just don't get it. We watched videos of the USS Forrestal and what happened on it so we knew this kind of thing could happen. While we all think steel doesn't burn, it should be safe. We knew better.
Quote:
The failure to extinguish or contain the fire led to temperatures exceeding 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit in some areas, melting sections of the ship into molten metal that flowed into other parts of the ship.
The ship was literally melting from the heat!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-10-20 at 15:15.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-20, 15:16

Yikes!

Will bad things happen to them, or are people at that level "protected"/shielded from such things?

I know what my gut says, but I'm not sure it's right.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-20, 15:20

All of the brass just had their careers ended. They will never be promoted and most will be slowly processed out while others get a hard stop. that is kinda how this sort of thing happen. Some will be crucified and held to the full extent the UCMJ will allow. Most of the named people will just have to polish their resumes though.

The command level is where the crucifixions will happen. The CO (Commanding Officer) down for not training and holding their crew accountable. The majority of the enlisted will not have anything but a cool sea story to tell. The arson on the other hand... I'm curious to see how long he's locked up.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-20, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Likely because tunnels made in the 1800’s didn’t require environmental studies, air ventilation systems to prevent exhaust buildup, lighting, anchoring systems to drilled into the hillside all throughout the distance, proper drainage and such to be installed?
Yes, I get that. But in 100 years we've also moved from shovels and pickaxes to automatic boring machines.
The designs are indeed more complex, but our building methods and tools are also greatly improved.

It's going to take six times the amount of time it took to build it a century ago. Something be out of whack here.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-20, 18:20

Yeah, but we have OSHA, now.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-20, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
All of the brass just had their careers ended. They will never be promoted and most will be slowly processed out while others get a hard stop. that is kinda how this sort of thing happen. Some will be crucified and held to the full extent the UCMJ will allow. Most of the named people will just have to polish their resumes though.

The command level is where the crucifixions will happen. The CO (Commanding Officer) down for not training and holding their crew accountable. The majority of the enlisted will not have anything but a cool sea story to tell. The arson on the other hand... I'm curious to see how long he's locked up.
Consequences for one's actions?

What is this witchcraft?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-20, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Yes, I get that. But in 100 years we've also moved from shovels and pickaxes to automatic boring machines.
The designs are indeed more complex, but our building methods and tools are also greatly improved.

It's going to take six times the amount of time it took to build it a century ago. Something be out of whack here.
Tunnel drilling machines, building a tunnel to modern safety standards, the vast amounts of concrete, metal and other materials required isn't cheap. Oh and workers getting a living wage costs a fair bit compared to hiring foreign workers, many of whom die on the job, getting paid pennies a day. But hey, we can build it in two days with dynamite, shovels and pick axes if we do it 1800s style. Tell you what, I've been through railway tunnels (in a local park) that were built that way, from the 1800's, there's no way we could, or should, build tunnels that way now. They are constantly having cave-ins, and require extremely expensive maintenance to keep safe for public use. Building things properly takes, gasp, time. A lot of time in any building project is spent just waiting for the needed materials to become available to get construction rolling.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-21, 04:10

Update on the Philadelphia train rape case.

Just doesn’t seem right. What an awful message to send/precedent to set.

Film away, useless cretins of the world. Chances are your cowardly lack of action - nobody could even bring themselves to dial 911 - won’t get you in any legal hot water.

Your Spielbergian pursuits were not in vain and you won’t be punished for your contributions to the cinematic arts!

I still hope everyone who filmed/watched, but did nothing, struggles with this the rest of their lives…nightmares, insomnia, depression, regret, crippling guilt, feelings or worthlessness, etc. They deserve every ounce coming their way, assuming they’re even capable of feeling such things. No guarantee on that, I realize, after the glimpse into their character they’ve already shown to the world.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-21 at 04:30.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-21, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
No guarantee on that, I realize, after the glimpse into their character they’ve already shown to the world.
You already know the answer.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-21, 12:01

I can’t even imagine how the victim must feel, hearing this.

“Nobody did anything to help me - not even call for help - and that’s seen by everyone as okay.”

As I said above, such an awful tone/precedent to set. Are there not “Good Samaritan” and “failure to render aid” laws already in existence? How are a lot of people not on the hook for that? Or does it only apply to things like car wrecks or other accidents? I’m not a lawyer or legal analyst…I don’t know, I’m asking.

If it were a situation where there were multiple assailants and only one bystander, I could almost understand their reluctance to help/get involved. Okay, whatever.

But this situation was the complete opposite…numerous bystanders, far outnumbering the lone perp. And, still, nobody steps up? Any 2-3 guys could’ve easily put a stop to it, held the guy for the cops, etc.

A pox on all these motherfuckers.

I do believe in karma, so it'll all even out eventually.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-21 at 12:11.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-10-21, 12:08

Doesn’t seem right, but that’s how life is now. Observe and record are the word of the day. Likes fir seeing something are far more important than helping someone. Combine that with the fear that the person may turn and harm you if you try to help is also a factor. Not knowing who was in the car, that may play a roll too. Was the car full of people? Maybe just a mom with her kids? Do we know? Not likely.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-21, 12:12

To a point. But I can't believe everyone in that crowd was the perp's assistant/backup/friends. All it took was for a man (they do still exist) - or 2-3 men - to say "uh, no...screw this nonsense!" and it never happens.

That's what saddens/angers me. Nobody - nobody - saw fit to do anything. At all. Not even dial 911 or go look for a cop. You don't have to stand there and film/watch to be "guilty" or part of the problem. You can make a call or go find help, ffs. That's not asking too much or putting yourself directly in danger. I can't believe everyone - unless it was just an entire train car full of assholes, top to bottom - was in on the filming/watching. Surely not?

There's no way this gets explained/spun where everyone on that train car, who wasn't the victim, isn't worthless beyond hope. And the victim knows, and is reading/hearing, all this. I can't imagine her thoughts and feelings.

"What did I do? Did nobody see what was happening to me for 30+ minutes? They could take their phones out and film it but that's it?!"

She must feel completely abandoned and hate her city, and everyone in it. Who could blame her right now? The perp, the people on the train car and now the so-called "justice system" (who'll make sure the rapist is well-fed, looks presentable in any upcoming court appearances, etc.). She's the only one getting the bad end of everything, start to finish, from all I'm seeing.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-21 at 12:32.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-21, 12:26

I could get preachy, but that would start a debate that would prove entirely fruitless.

There is a reason this kind of stuff is happening. Yes, we can blame social media, but there is far more to it than that. Far more.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-21, 14:57

aka Friday night in autumn in any small town.

Some folks just look like the sort of thing they'd do, huh?

"Split an atom?" Nope.

"Designed a new type of airplane wing?" Nope.

"Created an iPhone app that made millions?" Nope.

"Opened a shelter for abandoned dogs and cats?" Nope.

"Ran naked onto a football field - high on heroin - in front of a bunch of junior high kids?" Bingo!

PS - Why doesn't anyone hot ever do such foolishness? This and that woman at the Denver airport a few weeks ago...

Unless you're Neve Campbell's stunt double/twin sister (or Neve herself), keep your clothes on in public.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-21, 15:04

Dude, that mug shot.

She looks like Animal from the Muppets, but I'd much rather see Animal naked than that skanky-ass broad!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-21, 15:04

Wait, running naked across a football field filled with 13- 15 year olds isn't normal?

I clicked the link and saw the mugshot and was actually visually stunned. I know she was strung out and all, but that has to be the absolute least flattering image of her.

Edit: beaten by a fraction of a second by Ken.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-21, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Edit: beaten by a fraction of a second by Ken.

I had to work fast. Need that image out of my head!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-21, 15:13

The phone rang off the hook at all the countywide school therapists/psychologists/counselors that night.

"Ohmigish, has there been a shooting or horrible injury at the game?"

"Uh, not exactly...".

"Well, I'm on my way!"

"Yeah, take your time...".

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-21, 15:22

If only she'd been carrying a pair of drumsticks, everyone would understand.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-21, 15:28

At some point, years ago, she probably looked nice. Or normal/healthy. Certainly nothing like above. Sad.

At one point she wasn't an addict. Never thought she'd be, I'm sure.

What made her open that door, who knows?

As many reasons as there are people.

But only a handful of (realistic, expected) outcomes.

About 3-4...and two of them really suck.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-21 at 15:41.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-21, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
To a point. But I can't believe everyone in that crowd was the perp's assistant/backup/friends. All it took was for a man (they do still exist) - or 2-3 men - to say "uh, no...screw this nonsense!" and it never happens.

That's what saddens/angers me. Nobody - nobody - saw fit to do anything. At all. Not even dial 911 or go look for a cop. You don't have to stand there and film/watch to be "guilty" or part of the problem. You can make a call or go find help, ffs. That's not asking too much or putting yourself directly in danger. I can't believe everyone - unless it was just an entire train car full of assholes, top to bottom - was in on the filming/watching. Surely not?

There's no way this gets explained/spun where everyone on that train car, who wasn't the victim, isn't worthless beyond hope. And the victim knows, and is reading/hearing, all this. I can't imagine her thoughts and feelings.

"What did I do? Did nobody see what was happening to me for 30+ minutes? They could take their phones out and film it but that's it?!"

She must feel completely abandoned and hate her city, and everyone in it. Who could blame her right now? The perp, the people on the train car and now the so-called "justice system" (who'll make sure the rapist is well-fed, looks presentable in any upcoming court appearances, etc.). She's the only one getting the bad end of everything, start to finish, from all I'm seeing.
So, the DA now says that police reports about bystanders watching this happen are wrong.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-says/3006034/

Quote:
“There is a narrative out there that people sat there on the El train and watched this transpire and took videos of it for their own gratification,” Stollsteimer said using the nickname for the Market-Frankford line. “That is simply not true. It did not happen. We have security video from SEPTA that shows that is not the true narrative.”

[...]

Two people may have recorded video of the attack on their cellphone, one of whom “probably” alerted SEPTA of the attack, Stollsteimer said.
So who the fuck knows what really happened.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-21, 18:31

Sounds like a city trying to scramble and put a PR spin on things. Not buying it. I see how people act and the original story rings true to me.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-10-21, 18:40

Given the nature of the crime, the video from the train will never be released to the public (I assume), so we kind of have to take their word for it. We could assume the worst, but I'd like to believe it's somewhere in the middle. Don't start calling me an optimist though.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-21, 19:36

One Killed, One Wounded in Accidental Shooting on Alec Baldwin Western ‘Rust’

Very bad.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-21, 21:22

Oh man, that sucks. Been a long time since I've heard of something like this happening.

Shades of Jon-Erik Hexum (how do I remember that?!) and Brandon Lee.

Treating every firearm - even movie prop ones - like real guns, loaded with real bullets, usually goes a long way toward avoiding horrible stuff like this.

EDIT: Additional speculation/curiosity removed, now that it's clearer what happened. A horrible accident. Prop guns can be dangerous, obviously.

On a more positive note, I like hearing that someone, somewhere, is making another western. Alongside mob/mafia flicks, my favorite genre and I love that some still get made.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-21 at 21:50.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-21, 21:51

Alec Baldwin must be shitting himself. Reports are he fired the gun.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-21, 21:59

Yep. An awful accident, but that's no comfort.

I don't think he'll get in trouble over it, an accident not of his doing (he didn't prepare the prop, he wouldn't know it was unsafe to fire, he's relying on the crew/prop people to handle those kinds of technical details, etc.).

But I'm also not a legal scholar, so I don't know how things like this play out.

Did the person who (accidentally) killed Brandon Lee get in trouble?