User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

My 0 key won't type 0's but will type )'s

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
My 0 key won't type 0's but will type )'s
ZacMoose

2006-11-08, 08:20

I have an odd problem with my little old iBook G4 running OSX 3.9. When I try to type the "0" key, it makes the system alert sound, and doesn't create a 0. However, if I hold shift and the 0 key it creates a ")", as it should. It's been this way for a week or so, I've restarted the computer and the key looks fine underneath.

I was thinking it might be that the key has been reassigned to something else, but I certainly didn't do it and nobody else had access to it when it happened. Also, my new kitten keeps trying to sit on my keyboard, but I doubt it managed to reassign the key, and it doesn't seem like a hardware issue (or the brackets wouldn't work).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as I'm getting tired of cutting and pasting "0"s
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-11-08, 09:37

... Just re-read your post..

Hmmm.. Sounds like a faulty keyboard to me...

But have you tried zappng PRAM and all that jazz?
ZacMoose

2006-11-08, 09:57

Maybe it is just the keyboard, I'm largely ignorant when it comes to the inner workings of hardware, I just don't get why it would work for brackets when it's the same key.

Don't remember zapping any PRAM lately, but I'm definitely interested in learning how to do so. (after getting some sleep).

Thanks scratt
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-11-08, 11:06

Check FAQ, you will find it there how to do that. Good luck!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-11-08, 11:14

If you hook up an external USB keyboard, does that 0 key work? If you create a new user account, does the 0 key work then?

I'm wondering if it's a hardware or software problem. I can't think of a hardware problem where a key won't register when pushed alone, but will with another key pressed at the same time.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
ZacMoose

2006-11-09, 09:21

The 0 worked fine in a new user account, so I zapped the PRAM (and it definitely happened as the chime happened twice etc) but to no avail. On the plus side, I've worked out that holding ctrl 0 will create a 0.

Well, it's one more reason to hurry up and order a new laptop. Thanks for the help everybody.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-11-09, 09:44

If the zero worked under a new user account, that means there's a corrupted preference (most likely) on your main account.

While it's possible to sit down and eventually troubleshoot where the bad file is, the fastest and easiest way to fix the problem would be to just do an archive install while retaining network info.

Chances are that it would fix your zero problem and take about 45 minutes of your time. (5 minutes to start the process, then 40 minutes to go have some beers while it runs on its own)

Google is your frenemy.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-11-09, 09:59

Sounds like Keyboard Shortcuts got corrupted somehow. Try trashing your Universal Access preferences and then logging out and back in.
ZacMoose

2006-11-11, 05:56

Thanks guys. It's probably about time I wiped this hard drive clean, it's been working far too hard this last year.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-11-11, 10:08

Actually an archive install just reinstalls the OS, not all of the application files and the like. It's quick and should fix your problem without having to wipe your drive.

Google is your frenemy.