Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

External HDD Questions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
External HDD Questions
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2007-12-04, 16:28

I have a 6 gig file I need to transport over to a Windows box during winter break, and my external HDD is formatted into two partitions, both of them HFS+. Is it possible to change the file format of just one of the partitions to Fat32 while leaving the other one intact? If not, I know sometimes files downloaded from...certain methods...come in multiple rars, like up to 64 of them. What program lets you do this on a Mac, so that I can turn that 6 gig file into a bunch of smaller ones so that I can burn to multiple DVDs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2007-12-04, 17:04

This may be a stupid question, but can't you get these computers talking to each other on the same network and just copy the file directly?
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-12-04, 17:09

Anyway I think you can't copy a file larger that 4gb on a Fat32 partition. No !?!
Sargasm

2007-12-04, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJohn View Post
This may be a stupid question, but can't you get these computers talking to each other on the same network and just copy the file directly?
I can never seem to be able to make my home PC see my Mac on the network, and vice versa. I'm using an Airport Extreme.

edit: I got the file off a Fat32 external HDD.

double edit: Machacha doesn't seem to be able to work on Leopard...
Sargasm

2007-12-04, 18:40

I'd still like to know if I can safely convert my smaller HFS partition to Fat32 while leaving the other one intact, that'd be much appreciated.
The Mind

2007-12-05, 02:36

As far as I remember yes you can if you do it on the mac rather than the pc.

Your best bet may be to zip the file and transfer via the hd or a dvd.

btw, what is happening with the network problem? someone here should be able to help you sort that.

Can you ping each computer from the other?
Sargasm

2007-12-05, 03:11

I'm in my dorm at the moment, while my PC is with my sister back home. I won't be able to go home til the 17th unfortunately, so I'll have to wait.

Then again, I upgraded to Leopard, maybe I'll be able to finally see the PC on the network...hmm...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-12-05, 05:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargasm View Post
edit: I got the file off a Fat32 external HDD.
Certainly not – at least not in one piece. FAT32 can't handle files greater than 4 GB, as dmegatool correctly pointed out. At least I'm not aware of any implementation that supports this.
Sargasm

2007-12-05, 12:44

It was a six gig file on my friend's external HD, which he uses with his Windows XP laptop. Since I could see all the files on it with my Mac with no problem, I'm assuming it's Fat32.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-12-05, 12:53

It was probably ntfs, which Mac OS can read (and now also write, afaik) without problems. But you could keep your external HD on HFS+ and install MacDrive on your PC to access the file. That way you wouldn't have to mess with the disk.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-12-05, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
It was probably ntfs
Indeed. > 4 GB file and Windows? Most certainly NTFS. It could be ext3 or some other file system, but only if he manually installed that. (Well, it could also be UDF as well, but that's even less likely.)

Quote:
which Mac OS can read (and now also write, afaik)
Write support is not included with 10.5 Leopard. Read support has been there since 10.3 Panther.

Through third parties, you can have:
  • slow, reliable and free (MacFUSE + NTFS-3g)
  • fast, unreliable and free (MacFUSE + NTFS-3g with experimental modifications)
  • fast, reliable and commercial (Paragon NTFS for Mac)