User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Ultra-simple way to launch apps with a global hotkey?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Ultra-simple way to launch apps with a global hotkey?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-22, 18:28

A friend of mine who's recently switched from Windows is quite used to the idea of accessing certain commonly used things (such as Explorer and Task Manager) using hotkeys (win-E and ctrl-alt-del), and he'd like to have equivalents for their Mac pendants. That is to say, he'd like to activate the Finder using something like ctrl-cmd-E, and Activity Monitor perhaps with ctrl-cmd-backspace.

I could accomplish that with Quicksilver, but I was wondering if there's a simpler solution. He won't need any of the advanced stuff; basically just a way to execute a task using a hotkey.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-22, 18:35

Hm, Spark is already way more than he needs, but I think I'll just stick to that. Kinda wish it wasn't in beta.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-09-22, 20:11

Wow chucker, you've started answering your own queries, and within 7 minutes of posting.
chucker

2007-09-22, 23:34

Well I thought others would benefit from this. Not that I'd minds others' suggestions and input.
duyvan82

2007-09-23, 02:26

perhaps Quicksilver is what your friend needs..
chucker

2007-09-23, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by duyvan82 View Post
perhaps Quicksilver is what your friend needs..
Like I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I could accomplish that with Quicksilver, but I was wondering if there's a simpler solution. He won't need any of the advanced stuff; basically just a way to execute a task using a hotkey.
It would solve his problem, but I think he's far too novice at this point to use something like that.
rampancy

2007-09-23, 11:58

What about Butler?

I personally prefer it because it's just a lot faster and easier for me to configure than Quicksilver. (Admittedly, it is a lot less capable but it's still an extremely powerful utility in its own right.) It's free, too.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
chucker

2007-09-23, 12:21

Nah. Butler, LaunchBar, Quicksilver: all great accessories, but far beyond his needs right now.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-09-23, 12:31

You are allowed to use less than the full set of features on a software product, you know.

chucker

2007-09-23, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
You are allowed to use less than the full set of features on a software product, you know.

Why waste resources.

Incidentally, he just invited me over, so I guess Spark it is for now. Thanks everyone anyway.