Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

OSX Server or Client?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
OSX Server or Client?
smiley

2005-02-24, 11:44

Hi all,

What are the differences, performance wise between OSX server and the standard workstation version? Does Apple optimize the server version for server tasks, shortchanging desktop apps or is the main difference just the extra bundled apps and "commercial" grade server software?

I currently use a dual G5 PM as a primary workstation. I also use it to host email, as a development server, to host prototype web applications in PHP with PostGres and Mysql for clients and using vhosting to host my professional "bio" page, blog, etc. I've been using just the client version of MacOSX bt I've been considering springing for Server when Tiger comes out.

What do the experts think, considering that I still want snappy performance at the desktop with all the server goodies too?

The extra cost isn't too much of a big deal as the time I would save with the management tools in Server would quickly pay for itself (I think).

Any advice?

Thanks in advance
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-24, 12:48

Server and Client are practically identical, IIRC. There aren't any major differences in optimizations either way. The regular version of Mac OS X is just as capable of the tasks you've listed as the Server version is (and vice versa).

The only real difference between Client and Server is the additional software with Server that assists in configuring the various tools and daemons.

Personally, I think it would be a waste of the extra $380 if you're comfortable with your current setup. Server isn't going to make it any faster; it's only going to give you extra tools for configuring it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.