Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Sarah Silverman Program on Comedy Central

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sarah Silverman Program on Comedy Central
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-12, 09:44

Anyone else watch this? I just saw it last night for the first time, several episodes clustered together.

I laughed out loud throughout.

A great combination of cuteness and meanness, and one of those "fluff-free" shows, with a no-redeeming-traits-whatsoever cast (like "Reno: 911", "Seinfeld" or "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"...you just know, going in, you're never going to get a smarmy "very special episode", or one of the idiot characters suddenly wising up and "getting it"). Hopelessly self-centered and ultimately clueless to the world around them.

"Full House", "Growing Pains" and "Home Improvement" it ain't.

I find that kind of thing very funny...just balls-out, silly humor with no apologies. No concessions to - or acknowledgement of - political correctness or "maybe we shouldn't be saying this" boundaries. You laugh while cringing, and vice versa. Often the best kind of humor, when it's done right and smart.

Anyway, a funny show if you're into that stuff.

I know she has quite a few fans here at 'Nova. Was just curious if anyone else was watching.

AWR
Veteran Member

2007-03-12, 11:10

I have only seen (what I think is) the pilot episode, and thought it was quite funny. The one where she gets whacked on the cough syrup.

Refreshingly balsy and obviously not a condescending appeal to every conceivable demographic.

She's a serious loose-cannon. Her typical off-hand comments, like the one to the cop when the cop first meets her sister - meet my sister, the nymphomaniac with the incredibly tight vagina - come as quite a surprise out a demure looking woman.

I'll definitely watch it again.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-12, 12:24

Yeah, maybe that's part of the appeal. She looks so sweet and normal; then the stuff that comes out of her mouth...

A weird, out-of-nowhere punch. You want to pat her on the head, then you realize "she might chew my hand off".

I probably need to see it again (and some new, different episodes), when it's not so late and I'm not so loopy. But I'd still find it funny because of her delivery and apparent lack of shame.

Another comedian I like, and who works in a similar vein (quite attractive and "harmless"-looking, but once she opens her mouth and starts talking...yikes!) is Chelsea Handler. I bought her book last summer and it's a riot...worse than any three guys talking in a locker room (and funnier too)!

She had a show on E! a while back that was structured a bit like Dave Chappelle's show: she'd come out on a stage to a small crowd, riff a bit, get a few laughs...but mostly was there to introduce previously-filmed, standalone segments of her doing various things or going places, and often providing subtle wise-ass commentary.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-03-12, 12:52

I watched only the pilot and read some reviews that it was like curb your enthusiasm. However, curb your enthusiasm, it was not. It was funny, but it just wasn't as good by a long shot.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
rasmits
rams it

2007-03-12, 13:10

Hilarious show, I love Sarah Silverman.

"Hey, same car!"
"HUEY!! SAME CUAR!! BLOO BLAH BLUH BLUH!!"

Anyone see Jesus is Magic or The Aristocrats?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-03-12, 14:16

I saw the pilot when I was in the states and I wasn't sure if I loved it or hated it. I've been catching up with the season on iTunes recently and I just love her complete oddballness. I'm still not sure if it's a tad over the top, but it's hilarious nonetheless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Silverman
I tried to be just like the others, but I pooped instead
I mean, who else would really get away with singing a song like that!

(I'm looking at you drew)

rasmits
rams it

2007-03-12, 14:18

I just remembered: I looooved the episode about TAB.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-03-13, 03:19

Will have to look up this Chelsea Handler person.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-03-14, 06:57

I just spied a review of the program online at the New Yorker.

Hostile Acts

“The Sarah Silverman Program” puts the mean back in funny.

by Tad Friend
February 5, 2007

Hostility may be the engine of humor, but the broadcast networks dread its snarl. Whenever they air a truly mean sitcom, such as the long-gone “Buffalo Bill” or “Action,” the audience flees, so TV executives have learned to muffle their comedies’ barbs in “Only kidding” smirks and “You’re the greatest” hugs. Even on “Seinfeld,” which forbade hugs and learning, the core foursome reserved their mockery for outsiders, for the close-talkers and re-gifters. They were there for one another—the network made sure that we saw the love beneath.

So “The Sarah Silverman Program,” much the meanest sitcom in years—and one of the funniest—premières this week, perforce, on Comedy Central. Silverman, the telescope-necked comedienne, has had trouble finding the right showcase for the contrary elements of her persona: the post-feminist tomboy who’s sexually cocky and emotionally frigid, the eerily alert counterpuncher who’s totally self-involved. (In her 2005 concert movie, “Sarah Silverman: Jesus Is Magic,” Silverman makes out with her own mirrored image.) She is best known for jarring “The Aristocrats,” the documentary about a legendary joke, with her deadpan claim that “Joe Franklin raped me,” and for dropping the epithet “chinks” into a joke on “Late Night with Conan O’Brien.” Unlike many comedians, Silverman excavates prejudice less by digging into her own background (though in one episode she insincerely promises “full-frontal Jew-dity”) than by strip-mining the turf of other minorities, particularly blacks and gays. Her game is to throw out stereotypes in a little-girl voice and with a winsome look that suggests no offense can legitimately be taken. You might admire Silverman’s boldness, or you might feel that there’s something sneaky in her appropriation of slurs that never wounded her—that it’s the standup equivalent of the person who cuts in line and then can’t believe you object.

Continued ...

Ouch snippet: "When God admires one of her songs and materializes in front of her, Sarah, surprised that he’s black, inquires, “Are you God’s black friend?”

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...evision_friend
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-14, 08:27

Well, like I said upthread: you do cringe at times.

But funny is funny. You can't always put a nice little bow on it. And I don't usually throw in with "shock comics" and the like, and I get no thrill or pleasure from hack comedians who swear non-stop or wallow in the gutter (too easy to do that and get laughs out of a room full of drunks).

But she's funny to me.