User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

HELP : Saving File in any 3rd Party App causes App to Crash

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
HELP : Saving File in any 3rd Party App causes App to Crash
ChuckyWonkers

2007-01-23, 06:29

HELP : Saving File in any 3rd Party App causes App to Crash.

Hello Everybody I hope you are all having more enjoyable computer experiences than myself, heres the story:

Yesterday afternoon whilst browsing the net and doing a little Photoshopping work Photoshop froze when saving a file. I restart it it does it again....hmmm...Repair permissions run all maintenance scripts..Reboot...Same again. Erase all Adobe files from my machine reinstall Photoshop from original discs..same problem again..Repair permissions run all maintenance scripts...Reboot...same again....This time I try saving a flac file in xAct and all we see is the spinning beachball of death. Try the same thing in about 6 other 3rd party apps same thing again.. the beachball spins forever and ever. Yet with any Apple Apps ie: Quicktime iMovie ect. files save as they should.

Short of reinstalling my OS from scratch I cannot think of a way to rectify this...I have so much work to do and this is gonna make me cry if I have to go back to reinstalling everything.

I am running mac OS 10.4.8 on a dual 2GB G5 with 1.5Gb Ram Bootdrive : 320GB WD Sata MediaDrive: 500GB WD Sata. I only have one Os loaded on my machine and that is running from my startup drive.

I am logged in as a user I have tried repeating saving files under the admin account and the same happens Apple Apps save fine 3rd party Apps will not save at all.

If anybody out there has encountered these issues or has a possible solution please PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

I read somewhere that OS X's built in scripts only repair permissions for Apple applications and not third party apps.
Are there any scripts out there that repair permissions for 3rd party apps as well ????????

Anyway back to the machine.

Kisses Love Betty xxxx
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-23, 08:03

Have you followed the basic troubleshooting fixes in the thread at the top of this forum titled: FAQ: Check this thread *first* if you have problems or questions!?
ChuckyWonkers

2007-01-23, 08:08

Yes I have gone through the troubleshooting responses already posted with no success hence me posting here.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-01-23, 08:10

On rare occasion a few years ago, (pre- CS2 versions of PhotoShop and probably Mac OS X.2 or similar era), attempting to save directly to a removable device crashed PS if not the OS.

The workaround, IIRC, was not to save directly to the removable drive, but to save to the Desktop or internal drive, then physically copy the file to the other drive.

Not sure if this would be relevant to newer revisions of the OS or of the App, but I wonder if the problem is reproducible wherever you try to save the files, or if it is a particular problem only when you try to save directly to the external drive... in which case try seeing if it still crashes with a save to desktop or elsewhere.

Not sure this will help, but I know it was a kludge a few years back... and if not it's at least one more item eliminated from the troubleshooting checklist of possibilities.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
ChuckyWonkers

2007-01-23, 08:34

Thanks for that curiousburb, I have read anything I can find regarding the issues. I came across the posts/articles detailing CS2 crashing on saving to external drives. Unfortunately this is not the issue here as I am only saving to on board drives and the crashing occurs with every third party app upon trying to save and is not exclusive to Photoshop. Yet as stated before Apple apps work fine saving in them does not cause the app to crash.
Any more ideas out there ????
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-23, 08:41

Does this happen when you boot to Safe Mode?
ChuckyWonkers

2007-01-23, 09:38

I have just tested booting in Safe Mode and sadly the problem still persists...WTF. This is driving me insane.