User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Thinking of getting a mac mini - Games!?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Thinking of getting a mac mini - Games!?
sparky0106

2005-05-17, 08:13

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Mac mini during Fall or the end of summer. Everything looked good untill i noticed the graphics capability of the mini. Because i will want to play some games on my Mac, i was wondering how it would perform. It definately wouldn't take Doom 3 or anything like that, but what about other games like Command & Conquer or First to Fight or other games like that... ANd by that time the games will be more demanding and could the be a new version of the mini coming out? My other possibility would be an iMac G5... but of course a mini is a lot cheaper. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead,

P.S. should we expect anything new at the WWDC?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-05-17, 08:52

WWDC is a Developer's conference. I wouldn't expect a Mac mini update there.

As for graphics cards and games - I'll leave that to someone with more experience than I.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-17, 08:59

Mac mini + games = NO

In fact, Macs generally suck at games... even the fast ones. Never buy a Mac intending to play games on it. I'm not saying that Macs can't play games, because they can. But given their price, they don't perform at an acceptable level to be gaming machines. I can build a $500 PC that would waste a G5 tower at just about anything related to gaming. The best option for Mac users, really, is to buy a console or a gaming PC instead of trying to play games on their Mac, because it'll inevitably lead to frustration.

Don't worry about trying game demos or getting some of the really less demanding games (ones that require no 3D capability, like EV Nova). It's fine trying to play games on a Mac, but never spend more on a Mac just to increase your gaming performance because it'll be the worst waste of that money ever. Instead of upgrading to an iMac G5, use that money to buy an XBox 360 in a few months or something. Consoles are relatively inexpensive, and the newest generation will put current computers to shame.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-05-17, 09:00

The Mini can play Diablo II just fine (even while folding in the background). I have not tried any other games on it though.
If you want to send me some I'll test them for you
sparky0106

2005-05-17, 10:00

Ok, thanks, that was helpful!

Well, i actually have an Xbox right now which i play games on, but on the Mac i'd do more RTS games if any because there simply aren't any RTS (like command & conquer, or WCIII) on consoles. And no, im not getting a mac with the purpose to play games, it's more of a work computer for school stuff and then iLife apps.
But would things like WCIII or Command and Conquer work on the mini?
Wraven

2005-05-17, 10:38

WarCraft III works fine on my mini (at a lower res with medium textures, etc...).

Of course, it would be a good idea to get the 1.42Ghz version if you are going to load up your mini with games (bigger hard drive), as well as get 512MB (at a minimum) or 1GB of RAM (and NOT through Apple).

Cheers,
Wraven

Last edited by Wraven : 2005-05-17 at 10:51.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-17, 10:44

Warcraft 3 and the granddaddy of modern RTS games, Starcraft, both run great on the mini. I'd stick to those two, though, because Command & Conquer Generals runs VERY poorly on Macs. Apparently it's so slow that it can even bring down a dual G5. Plus there is no Mac-to-Windows online play with C&C... only Mac to Mac and Windows to Windows. Blizzard, of course, has Battle.net, which is fully cross platform.

In fact, both Warcraft III: ROC and the Frozen Throne expansion discs come with both the PC and the Mac versions on the same CD, so if you already own them, you don't have to buy Mac versions. They are pretty good deals, probably less than $20 each by now.
sparky0106

2005-05-17, 12:19

LOL... i have a 400 Mhz Penium III windows machine that runs C & C Generals... and it doesn't run on Macs... interestin.. well thanks then, and the expansion pack note will come in usefull. And yes, i will get the top-of-the line mini.

Oh and one more thing... On games it shows like what processor it's compatible with... but what processor does the mini have? G4?

Last edited by sparky0106 : 2005-05-17 at 12:50.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-05-18, 04:11

Yeah the mini - as introduced - has a G4 clocked at 1.25GHz and 1.42GHz.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-05-19, 03:42

What Luca said is accurate.
iBook, and by extension mac mini are capable of running World of Warcraft as well, but not smoothly. In any case, you're going to be stuck with current and past Blizzard games. Freeware/shareware and console emulators are a good bet.
sparky0106

2005-05-22, 13:48

OK... after adding up prices of a mac mini + 20" Cinema Display, the total isn't too much different that a 20" iMac G5 which seems A LOT better, so no im considering that instead. Thanks for the help guys!
Louie
I hate content

Send a message via AIM to Louie Send a message via MSN to Louie  
2005-05-22, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Mac mini + games = NO

In fact, Macs generally suck at games... even the fast ones. Never buy a Mac intending to play games on it. I'm not saying that Macs can't play games, because they can. But given their price, they don't perform at an acceptable level to be gaming machines. I can build a $500 PC that would waste a G5 tower at just about anything related to gaming. The best option for Mac users, really, is to buy a console or a gaming PC instead of trying to play games on their Mac, because it'll inevitably lead to frustration.

Don't worry about trying game demos or getting some of the really less demanding games (ones that require no 3D capability, like EV Nova). It's fine trying to play games on a Mac, but never spend more on a Mac just to increase your gaming performance because it'll be the worst waste of that money ever. Instead of upgrading to an iMac G5, use that money to buy an XBox 360 in a few months or something. Consoles are relatively inexpensive, and the newest generation will put current computers to shame.
i just have to say that i play games on my 15' PB just fine

they did a test running the the ati and the nvid 6800Ultra in the powermac there was a total differnce of 4fps between the cards. the conclution was that the dual g5 ppc was so fast* i didnt matter what card you went with you got the same results

*fsb, powerpc acetecture, ect.

whats the point of a gamming pc. i have1 and i rip my hair out trying to get the games to install, or play, or some wizakabob thats gone wrong

excuse my spelling...its late
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-23, 00:25

Uh, you're wrong. I never said games won't run on a Mac. I said that they will generally be slow, often frustratingly so. They can't compare to a PC. Installing games on a PC is not hard, nor is playing them. I don't think Windows is a great operating system, but it has little to do with a gaming PC. You just run it because you have to.

$1000 will buy you a better game machine on the Windows side than $4000 could buy on the Mac side of things. It's as simple as that. So go ahead and play games on the Mac you already have, and enjoy them. That's fine. Just don't try to pretend that Macs are gaming machines, because they're not. They're work machines that happen to do okay at some games, sometimes.
Fooboy

2005-05-23, 00:55

I support Luca and everything he just said. You see ... we are ex-PC gamers and trust me ... we know this stuff.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-23, 06:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Consoles are relatively inexpensive, and the newest generation will put current computers to shame.
Can't argue with that. You can pick up an Xbox for €120 ($150). The graphics are excellent, choice of games not bad (although it is M$......).
Louie
I hate content

Send a message via AIM to Louie Send a message via MSN to Louie  
2005-05-23, 07:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy
I support Luca and everything he just said. You see ... we are ex-PC gamers and trust me ... we know this stuff.
yea so am i and let me tell you i am fed up with that damn windows os frezzing or breaking or lord knows what
BenRoethig

2005-05-23, 07:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
Can't argue with that. You can pick up an Xbox for €120 ($150). The graphics are excellent, choice of games not bad (although it is M$......).
The difference between console gaming and computer gaming is like night and day.