AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Commercials you love or hate

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Commercials you love or hate
Page 19 of 21 First Previous 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-20, 21:40

Anyone else sick of owls? They're featured in three separate campaigns (that I know of), at the moment: WGU college(?), America's Best eyewear and I saw one tonight hawking (hahaha!) some cold/nasal medication. They all talk, and they're all a bit of a smart-ass.

Give it a rest, Hootie.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-21, 11:40

PETA loves talking animals. Makes the kids think they're just like hoomans.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-30, 15:04

Serious question: how many times do you think Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" has been used in commercials over the past 20 or so years to denote...well, folks getting it on. Fabric softeners, body wash, ice cream, appliances, etc. Pretty much everything except condoms and personal lubricant, oddly enough.

I'm saying 758 times? At least?

It's one of those things - like a record scratch or the Wilhelm scream - that's been so overdone/played-out in the culture that when you hear it on a commercial, it no longer has the effect it might've once had. I saw it for something about 30 minutes ago - I don't even remember the product/service - and all I could think was "man, that's some lazy-ass, uninspired marketing...been done, guys! Find a new song that is shorthand for knocking it out."

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-30, 15:13

I don't watch network TV much so I don't see many commercials anymore. Even less now that I'm not going into waiting rooms and such. Generally though, most commercials are just the same thing over and over again.

Heck, I even quit watching Super Bowl commercials.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-31, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Heck, I even quit watching Super Bowl commercials.
They're the worst, and they got a pass for entirely too long. The whole thing of Doritos-eating bro-dudes getting hit in the nuts peaked/lost its impact around 2004. And the most recent round, Woke™-Fest 2020, were unwatchable as well.

Being home lately, with the TV on in the background, they play those abused/mistreated pets commercials so much. They make me cry and I have to turn the channel. I can't watch shivering dogs and sad-looking cats...the music and the on-the-verge-of-tears voiceover just puts it over the top. I took in a stray, abandoned kitty in June 2017 and now I can't imagine my life without him. So those spots hit me right in the chest, and I can't stand to see animals who may not be as lucky (and loved) as Jasper. I just hope/assume every one shown wound up in warm, loving home as soon as the camera stopped rolling.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-31, 13:55

Oh, dear. We have a resident crazy cat Paul.

I took in a stray last year as an outside (only) garden cat. Moved the old dog house out into the garden and put in a nice bed. Fed it every morning (not twice a day, because I wanted her to mouse—and she did, like a champ!) At first she was too shy to come anywhere near us, but soon she friendlied up and wouldn't leave us alone when we were outside. Then she disappeared and everyone was sad.

But, I'd do it again.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-11, 12:10

That new GEICO "clogging" commercial manages to both annoy and creep me out. What's with the dancing family? Time-travelers? Or apartment/condo-dwelling Amish? Their clothes and all just add a sheen of weirdness to it all. Might've been funnier - not so weird/question-conjuring - if they were all done up in white pants/skirts and frilly shirts like you'd see on the Grand Ole Opry cloggers (with some overdubbed hoe-down/square-dance fiddle music, etc.)? But this Straight Outta Lancaster approach is just odd to me.

That kid shoving spaghetti in his mouth as he's sadly dancing, as though that's how he earns his room and board...ugh, can't stand it! I've already conjured up some crazy backstory for this clan and it's quite disturbing/off-putting...involving abuse, brain-washing, kidnapping, cult activity, etc.

But it gets people (me) talking about it, so I guess it's hitting that first rule of advertising/PR, huh?

But, as a rule, I'm just not a fan of weird-to-be-weird advertising/marketing. Just doesn't appeal to me and that won't make me buy a product or service. In fact, if it's annoying/unsettling enough to me, I'll typically go out of my way to buy the competitor, just because I don't wanna reward weirdos, creepsters, bad-writing and shitty attempts at "humor".

It comes on about ever third commercial break on Travel, Food Network, HGTV and Syfy, so I'm seeing it a lot...insurance and prescription meds make up about 97% of commercials, it seems. If I had psoriasis, spaghetti-dick and looking for cheaper car insurance, I'd be in heaven, huh? Everything on TV would be tailored directly at me.

Ask your doctor about calling for a quote!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-11 at 15:07.
Graculus

2020-04-11, 13:49

I'm holding a duck!
https://youtu.be/TUFHDUTyugU
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-11, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graculus View Post
I'm holding a duck!
https://youtu.be/TUFHDUTyugU

Okay, that was weird.

And thanks for popping in, Graculus.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-04-13, 00:04

I really like this one.

The blend of music, cinematography, sexuality.

It's classic.

Here's the long version (1 minute).

J'adore.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-13, 16:33

I saw this a few months ago. I'm not a Charlize Theron fan/luster (weird, huh?), but this commercial is rod-inducing, no doubt.

Looks like one of those Showtime sandals/swords/sex series where everyone betrays each other, has sword fights and knocks it out.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-05-06, 07:48

In this Pedialyte commercial, is the dad sick (flu, food poisoning, etc.) or is he hung over?

I’ve always assumed the former, but others swear up and down he hit it too hard earlier and is dealing with that fallout. I don’t see it, but we don’t know what the toilet flush is for...vomit or the other end. And his expression/demeanor could easily work for both. I’ve been in both states on a few occasions, and that’s just how I look/act.

We all do agree, however, that the whiny brat most certainly didn’t buy the stuff, so her claim is, at best, shaky. With a touch of entitled shithead. I do like the dad’s “bug off” tone with her. Usually not the approach shown in commercials with kids.

I guess they leave the reason for dad’s discomfort open-ended so they don’t have to come out and blatantly say “if you’re out tearing it up whien you have small children at home, then we’ve got a product you juice-hound losers will really love!”

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-18, 10:54

Notice anything?

I heard this about a year ago in a Volvo commercial.

Then again a few months ago in an Amazon Alexa commercial.

And then, last night, in a commercial for Etsy.

I have a feeling there are more in recent months/years, but those three are for sure in recent heavy rotation.

Three different companies, all advertising quite different products/services.

I just found it interesting. I loved the Volvo one...I've never heard a human voice sound like that, and every time it came on I'd stop what I was doing and watch, transfixed.

When I saw the Alexa one a few months back, I recognized that melody. And then, last night, on the Etsy one, I was like "okay, enough...find another song, people. It's not clever/interesting anymore".

PS - Mozart's The Magic Flute ("Queen of the Night" aria), for anyone wondering what I'm getting at...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-18, 12:43

We need to get you a gurlfrend!

Or maybe a Harley.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-18, 13:29

I’m past both at this point.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-18, 16:24

How about a hamster?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-18, 17:00

I’m good. I have a kittycat and he’s plenty.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-18, 17:01

Okay okay. Back to it, then!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-20, 18:20

Well, it’s that time of year again. Question: has anyone ever actually given, or received, a new car with a big 3-4’ red bow wrapped around it? Because that seems to be the go-to move for a lot of car companies creating commercials in November-December...impossibly attractive couples gifting each other luxury cars parked in the driveway, all wrapped in a red bow. I’ve seen at least four of them in the past three days!

I’m thrilled to get a $15 Subway gift card.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-11-20, 20:26

I bought a Honda Civic for someone one time as a surprise. Other than that, I just tell people go buy them because it's time for tax write offs. Totally different set of circumstances for me though.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-09, 18:11

I just saw a commercial for this.

I'll take Shit Nobody Needs for $199, Alex. Literally. $199.

There's got to be a cheaper, less-silly way to listen to music in the shower than this solution-in-search-of-a-problem. In fact, I think it was figured out decades ago.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-09, 18:53

I saw those things at Costco, and I was like
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-09, 19:10

I just can’t imagine the need/demand for such a thing. The time spent in showers just doesn’t seem enough to warrant the expense.

Somebody mentioned this in a staff meeting at Kohler and one of the higher-ups thought it was a cool idea and said “make it happen” as he moonwalked out of the room. Everyone groaned and rolled their eyes, but they also wanted to keep their job.

Voila...Moxie. For those free-spirited souls whose need to dance, anywhere at any time, simply will not be denied.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-09 at 19:21.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-05, 17:27

I'm going to toss this in here because, well, I'm not going to start a thread for it.

I haven't "seen it all", but now I'm a lot closer.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-05, 18:12

Wow, that doesn't sound human. Pretty good vocals/harmonizing.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-05, 18:37

It's actually pretty amazing. I can tell because I use some of those tones that it's off just a bit, but still very convincing. I especially like that the gal on the right is able to make multiple sounds which you can see her doing with her mouth. Very cool, and very talented.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-20, 20:08

I have never seen so many people so happy to take a crap.

Between this, those wiping cartoon bears (Charmin?), the “no smell” drops, the Colo-guard “shit in a box and ship it off to the worst job in the world” and the half-dozen constipation/IBS/Chrohn’s prescription/“ask your doctor about…” spots, TV has never been so poo-centric/obsessed.

If it’s not Peloton, then someone is laying a loaf (or lamenting their inability to do so). Or their inability to stop doing so.

We get it, Madison Avenue/Big Pharma. People go. But I kinda liked it better when I wasn’t beaten over the head about it to such a degree. Ease up, please?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-24, 17:03

So nobody's going to mention the Extra Gum commercial?

I know a lot of GOP states in the USA are pretty much open. But for us in the Great Northern Lockdown, this one really hit home.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-09, 08:26

It’s related so I include it here…

Had to get up a bit early this morning for an airport run/drop off. I get back home around 6:15am and switch on the TV, just for background. Trying to find a Briscoe-era “Law & Order” and I never knew that early morning, on all the cable outlets, is infomercial central.

Man, there are some some really awful ones out there. Such high production value for snake oil and general horseshit.

How can some of them even be allowed/legal?!

Weight loss, kitchenware, age-defying creams, exercise/fitness, rain gutter add-ons, memory enhancement potions or products, financial stuff, cleaning products, lawn and garden gadgets, etc. I made two laps through the channels and it was 90%, easily, cheesy infomercials. No actual shows that early. Not even “Gold Panning Dipshits” or “Making Moonshine for Some Reason” fare on Discovery/TLC.

Nearly every one has a seal-clapping audience who seem amazed by everything.

And the hosts?

“You know her from that episode of ‘Three’s Company’ where there was a misunderstanding and Mr. Furley got confused and assumed the worst for 24 minutes straight…please welcome the award-winning star of stage and screen…”
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-09, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
“You know her from that episode of ‘Three’s Company’ where there was a misunderstanding and Mr. Furley got confused and assumed the worst for 24 minutes straight…please welcome the award-winning star of stage and screen…”
Yeah, yeah. I remember her. I'll buy three!