User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Hot Battery

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Hot Battery
Slahcer

2007-12-21, 09:16

It is properly been written about before, but can anyone tell me if it is common that the battery in the MacBook Pro is suppose to get so freaking hot? And is there anything I can do about it?
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-12-21, 09:35

What are you setting the notebook computer on? Are you allowing air to circulate where air needs to circulate?

I have a 1' X 2' X 3/8" pine board I've stained nicely (don't apply any surface finish! The feet will stick and you'll pull them off!) that I use to support my notebook. It's got just enough space to allow the mousepad room on the right and it's extremely light.

I have never had a heat problem with my 17" MBP at all.
tsa

2007-12-21, 10:24

The battery in my MBP never gets hot. Other parts of the laptop do, however.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-12-24, 03:16

The battery will get warm when charging, but shouldn't be hot (average charging temperature of a Lithium Ion battery is about 32ºC.
WMD

Send a message via ICQ to WMD Send a message via AIM to WMD Send a message via Yahoo to WMD  
2007-12-27, 20:05

Some MBPs had an overheating battery problem...that was a while back. They were recalled.

Try downloading iStat (or the iStat Nano widget) and check the temperature. My PowerBook G4's battery runs between 34/35 and 40C.
Slahcer

2007-12-30, 07:09

I've downloaded istat pro. Following temp:

CPU A - 56C
GPU Diode - 61C
GPU Heatsink - 56C
Heatsink A - 54C
Heatsink B - 45C
Enclosure Bottom 35-40C
Mem. Control - 52
Airport Card - 59

Is my MBP supposed too be that hot?
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-12-30, 11:25

Those look pretty good to me, what makes you think it's hot?

http://review.zdnet.com/notebook-acc...85.html?tag=ut

Here's a review of the "APC Forced Air Cooling Notebook Computer Stand" where the demonstration shows a ThinkPad T60 (core 2 duo running at 1.66 GHz)...I've read where that chip draws about 34 watts...

Quote:
Running the test without the laptop desk, the CPU got as hot as 80.8 degrees. After a cool-down period, we ran the test again, this time with the laptop sitting on the APC stand. The highest temperature recorded during the second test was 76.2 degrees, a reasonably solid decrease, although 1.2 degrees higher than the similar Belkin device.
Grab a 40 watt lightbulb for comparison (the cpu is about the same wattage, and a watt is a watt is a watt, it doesn't matter if it's computing or emitting light) and I think you'll see that your MacBook Pro is considerably cooler.

Last edited by Taskiss : 2007-12-30 at 11:42.
Slahcer

2008-01-04, 06:31

Well okay, I quess it's ok then.

Thank you...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-01-04, 07:19

My CPU goes up to 86 degrees. It's not an issue.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-01-04, 08:12

Batteries do get hot if there's a lot of current flowing through them (either charging or discharging, but the former is unlikely as the charge current is limited by a microprocessor). So if you're doing something very computationally intensive, that really gets that Core 2 Duo working for a sustained period, it will definitely heat up to some extent. It'll never get close to the temperature of the CPU, but it might hit 50 degrees C, especially if you're simultaneously powering other devices like the optical drive and external USB/FireWire devices (such as 2.5-inch hard disks). Ideally you'd limit that kind of use to when you've got AC power available, though I very much doubt you'd cause harm even by deliberately stressing the battery.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-01-04, 12:18

Thats true to some extent. Heat is an issue with batteries because the warmer they get the more likely they are to bleed off some of the charge (overall battery life).