Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Portal 2

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Portal 2
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-04-20, 01:19

It's out now on Steam. You know what you need to do. I've played through the first chapter and so far it's been ridiculously awesome.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2011-04-20, 03:08

Nooooooo!!!!!! I can't start it now, I need sleep!!!

I know what I'm doing tomorrow before work though
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-04-20, 08:11

I grabbed it for the XBox last night, but I have yet to open it. I'm sure my son will be all over it after school today.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-20, 08:16

All I know about Portal 2 is the J. J. Abrams () thing, and I've been trying hard to keep it that way. Please spoiler-tag all spoilers!
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-20, 10:03

Seems like it's once again too short. People are claiming 4h of gameplay. That sucks. The first one was so short, I was kinda pissed when I finished it. They're also bitching the fact that there is already 80$ worth of downloadable content available on day 1. It's fucking 60$, it's really short... And you ask for more money ?
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-04-20, 15:09

I think people get through it as quickly as possible just to brag about how fast they did it, and then to complain about how short it was. This is a quality game, the graphics are gorgeous, the writing and voice acting is phenomenal, it's hysterically funny and there's so much detail that if you just rush through it you're missing half the game.

My advice is to take your time, savor all the subtleties, explore, and enjoy. There are animated panels on the walls when you go into new areas, go watch them and laugh when you realize what they're depicting. It's seriously half the fun of the whole game for me.

Kind of sad that Valve put so much work into this, and people are still just going to ignore it all and blow through it as fast as possible just to complain that it's too short.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-20, 15:52

Not that I go as fast I can... In fact, when people claim something like 4-5h, I'll usually get double that as I try to play at a more difficult level even if that means dying a lot.

I didnt't play it yet... But I was just saying that if it's anything like the first, it's too short. When it ended, I thought I was about half way through. I really was expecting to get out of the Aperture facility and use the gun in a "Real life" environnement.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2011-04-21, 20:08

OH MY GOD.

I didn't think it would be this good, especially when you consider that it's pretty hard to top the first one.

I've been playing for 4 hours, and I'm only 20% of the way through. It definitely seems longer than the first one.

Unfortunately it doesn't run as fast on OS X as it does on the same computer running windows.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-04-21, 23:51

Something about being as graceful as an eagle flying a blimp... hahaha.

spoiler tags for joke revelation, in case you want to keep it all a surprise:

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Glados is so passive aggressive it's hysterical. She keeps commenting on how I've put on a few pounds, and why don't I waddle over to the elevator. Jesus I haven't laughed this hard while playing a game since Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time. I think it's actually funnier than the first Portal.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-04-22, 07:13

Anyone buy the ps3 version so they could also get the pc version? How well does the steam cloud thing work?
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-04-22, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong View Post
It definitely seems longer than the first one.
Yay !
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-04-22, 14:41

Talk about a pisser: in order to redeem your PS3/PC version, you've got to activate your PS3 version first. That is, you've got to have access to your PS3 to do it. I'm in Ga and was hoping to buy the PS3 version while down here so I could play the PC version til I got home. So close, Steam, so close.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-22, 14:45

The game is cute, but hell of a lot easier than the first one... There is much less running around in the puzzles to get everything just so...
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2011-04-23, 19:58

Hmmm... The % is what percentage of achievements you've unlocked. I thought it was your progress in the game.

Yeah...so it's not as long as I thought. Still more enjoyable (imho) and def longer than the first one. And yeah, it did seem easier than the first one. Thinking back, the first one seems more of a no frills serious puzzle game, whereas the second has more stylistic, storytelling, presentation elements.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-23, 20:05

I finished the game as well... Visually Portal 2 is nicer than the first, but I liked the challenge of the puzzles in the original much much better. Playing thought there was never a moment where I didn't know what to do... Ah well, if there is a Portal 3, I will not likely be buying it.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-04-24, 23:57

I discovered a whole new level of awesome in Portal 2: Co-op mode. Play co-op with a friend for some serious good times.
Foj
Veteran Member

2011-06-23, 00:26

In case you're interested in the music from the game. The soundtrack is called Songs to Test By and has 22 tracks.

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-06-23, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post
In case you're interested in the music from the game. The soundtrack is called Songs to Test By and has 22 tracks.

Ooooh, very nice! I've got an unofficial soundtrack that has tracks from the entire game, but a couple of them have embedded game dialogue; one of them is the last 2/3 of 'The Courtesy Call', which I rather like. I wonder when Volume 2 will show up...?
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-07-01, 22:55

To answer my question re: Volume 2:

Download away! One more volume left...
Wrao
Yarp

2011-07-03, 00:04

Just picked it up for $34 on a Steam sale.
Wrao
Yarp

2011-07-03, 17:32

Just finished Portal 2. Took about 7 hours(which, realistically, is more like 5 or 6 since I left the game sitting open one time while I left the room for a while). A little disappointed it was this short, but it was otherwise just as excellent of a game as Portal 1. You get the feeling sometimes though that they really just wanted to tell you a story and the puzzles were almost incidental. I'm not about to go try it, but I half-suspect you could probably beat most, if not all, of the levels(And inbetween segments) in the time it takes for the voice-over to finish.

Little too much hand-holding as well. Often times you'd have a wall with portal-able material on it, with the one 'different' patch being where you needed to put a portal.

Ultimately though, you can't really criticize this game, it's pretty much perfect.

I also really appreciated that the developers didn't play to the fandom and kept the cake and companion cube references to a minimum, of course they invented several new things for fans to cling to reference-wise, but that's a good thing.

Last edited by Wrao : 2011-07-03 at 18:33.
Foj
Veteran Member

2011-08-25, 12:08

I thought this was cool.

Portal 2 marriage proposal
Foj
Veteran Member

2011-10-05, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
To answer my question re: Volume 2:

Download away! One more volume left...
The complete soundtrack is now available.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-05-14, 13:47

There is now a free set of tools available to make your own Portal 2 levels! If you log into Steam, make sure Portal 2 is updated, then log in to Portal 2 you'll see a new Community area, and from there you can build your own levels, or browse the workshop to play other people's levels that they've uploaded.

I made one and published it, if you want to play it search for xaqtly. It's called "Faith Plant". It was fun to make, and it's a great editor - very simple to get ahold of and they give you all the basic tools. The trick is in knowing how to build a challenging map. I fail at that, but I like playing around with it anyway.