User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iTunes freaked out, deleted library, reloaded library but is missing playlists

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes freaked out, deleted library, reloaded library but is missing playlists
popantique

2008-09-17, 01:51

Nothing else. Just my playlists. Playcounts, ratings are intact. Is there some way to get them back? I'm also kind of miffed because I'd just bought a couple of apps for my iPod touch, and they do not show up under applications and they hadn't yet been loaded onto the actual touch.

I'm not too sure how this happened. One minute, I was listening to iTunes, and I tried to switch to Adium and type something to a friend. My computer froze and iTunes started skipping. I did a force restart, and when I tried to open iTunes again it had to reload the library from the xml file, rescan my album art, etc. I tried replacing the "iTunes Library" file with one from a few hours earlier (thank you, Time Machine), but that just made it worse. iTunes wouldn't open at all; it gave me an error message ("The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occurred (13026).").

Not that those playlists are vital to my being or anything, but there were a few where I had meticulously crafted complete chronological discographies or just made a really good mix or whatever. I'm avoiding touching iTunes or the touch for now to see if it can be remedied. Any suggestions/ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: OS 10.5.2, iTunes 8. 1.83 GHz Mini, 1 GB RAM.

Edit 2: Actually now that I take a closer look, I also happen to be missing about 14 gigs of music. Presumably all the files themselves are still around, but...

Edit 3: Now that I think about it, it was giving me error messages about being unable to save the library because the file couldn't be found before it crashed. I just thought it was related to the fact that my hard drive is really absurdly full.

Last edited by popantique : 2008-09-17 at 02:15.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-09-17, 02:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by popantique View Post
Edit 3: Now that I think about it, it was giving me error messages about being unable to save the library because the file couldn't be found before it crashed. I just thought it was related to the fact that my hard drive is really absurdly full.
There's your problem. I'd stop using that drive *immediately* and get a bigger one that you can copy your data to. Boot off the new drive and run a file recovery program on the smaller drive.
popantique

2008-09-17, 11:32

Ironically, the reason my hard drive is so full... is because of iTunes, which refuses to consolidate my music onto an external drive. But that's another problem.

I was under the impression that to upgrade the hard drive myself would invalidate AppleCare?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-09-17, 12:06

Either get an external hdd or if you still have Applecare, take it to an Apple Store and get the hdd replaced.
popantique

2008-09-20, 16:39

Well, in case anyone else has this problem, this is what I did: Deleted iTunes 8, downgraded to 7.7 and then pulled an old version of my library from time machine. I lost about a week's worth of playcounts, playlists, album art, ratings, etc but it was well worth it. I'll wait until 8.1 to try to upgrade again. Right now I'm trying to consolidate my library so I can free up some hard drive space.