Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iFrame with streaming iPhotos

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iFrame with streaming iPhotos
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
sfguy

2005-01-06, 14:18

Apple will be releasing a consumer friendly/priced photo display unit that will let you steam photos to it via iPhoto/Airport. You can have multiple units around your home, which you can stream different folders of pictures to.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-06, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfguy
Apple will be releasing a consumer friendly/priced photo display unit that will let you steam photos to it via iPhoto/Airport. You can have multiple units around your home, which you can stream different folders of pictures to.
How do you know this?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-06, 14:45

Because he's sfguy...he's right in the middle of all this!

Seriously, though...priced right, something like this would be kinda cool. It would be expensive, probably out of the range of us mere mortals. But the Sharper Image crowd might dig it...

I'm not gonna buy a "picture frame" for $369, I don't give two damns how cool it is.

DaveGee

2005-01-06, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
How do you know this?
[going-out-on-a-limb] It came to him in a dream... [/going-out-on-a-limb]

Being more realistic... The major problem I see, other than the component costs - a problem big enough (IMHO) is STYLE! A picture frame in the living room or dining room or bedroom etc needs MAJOR SOAF (significant other approval factor).

Post Modern?
Modern??
Craftsman Style?
Country?
French Country?
Victorian?
Wood (light,dark,plain,ornate)?
Metal (polished, satin, brass, silver, other)?

Designing something that is nice for the computer room is one thing... once you invade more personal spaces in the house... You got a whole can or worms to deal with.

And this is why I feel NOBODY has had any success in selling these types of devices.

Dave

Last edited by DaveGee : 2005-01-06 at 14:54.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-06, 14:55

Offer it in an array of styles then?

I doubt this will happen though, considering the cost of LCDs still.

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2005-01-06 at 15:31.
abilstein

2005-01-06, 15:13

Exactly. Design it so people can put their own frame on it. I still probably wouldn't want one though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-06, 15:16

Several months ago (mid-late 2004?) Macworld had a neat article on how to turn an old, unused iBook display (say, from a clamshell model or a broken iChiclet, which, at 1024x768, I'd prefer) into a cool device like this.

It did involve the dismantling of the iBook, but it seemed fairly do-able. The article is probably online at their site somewhere.

Why have one static photo on the mantle, desk, bookshelf or end table when you could have tens or hundreds, softly fading in and out of one another?
Wraven

2005-01-06, 15:19

I'd like a few if they were 5" x 3" (like a printed out photo), and cost about $69 with built-in wi-fi. However, I think we are still a couple of years from a ~6" LCD + wifi receiver + casing selling for that little. It would be quite the conversation piece though.

Cheers,
Wraven
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-01-06, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

Why have one static photo on the mantle, desk, bookshelf or end table when you could have tens or hundreds, softly fading in and out of one another?
the future is now eh

g
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-01-06, 15:20

Always thought the Ceiva frames were an interesting idea. Updating photos on Grandma's picture frame via internet etc. Instead of a "subscription" they could tie it into .mac... :P

Kinda costly but hey this IS Apple we're talkin' about.

Shhhh, I can't see!
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-06, 17:02

yeah, and this would turn that headless Mac everyone is talking about into a true Media Player.
FlAsH

2005-01-07, 00:20

Theres no way they would release something like this without it being video enabled, and even then it would be pretty unpractical.
Akumulator

2005-01-07, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlAsH
Theres no way they would release something like this without it being video enabled, and even then it would be pretty unpractical.
And besides... it's really boring.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-01-07, 16:05

Hopefully my iFrame will come with cool socks.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-01-07, 16:42

And aluminum armor!
Gizzer

2005-01-07, 18:01

Mine'll be made of anodised woodchip!!
motioncity

2005-01-07, 18:26

Well if SFguy is right, it's probably the answer to all the people asking about the $499 "mini-Mac" display.
Akumulator

2005-01-07, 18:32

No, It's not. iFrame=teh suck.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-01-07, 20:02

I'm waiting for these things to become more affordable. I like this one except that it's Windows only. I'd love to have a picture frame on my desk that rotates through a bunch of pictures.
Akumulator

2005-01-07, 23:12

You mean like a screensaver? I just don't get the appeal of these. I prefer my photos printed out or I'll just show someone the picture on my computer. I don't need a stupid lcd picture frame illuminating the room with rotating photos. It's a complete waste of money at any price. Apple will not make one of these anytime soon I'd bet both my nuts.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-01-07, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
You mean like a screensaver? I just don't get the appeal of these. I prefer my photos printed out or I'll just show someone the picture on my computer. I don't need a stupid lcd picture frame illuminating the room with rotating photos. It's a complete waste of money at any price. Apple will not make one of these anytime soon I'd bet both my nuts.
I have to agree with you, I think it would look really cheesy and would be distracting to have one, let alone several of these sitting somewhere.
sfguy

2005-01-08, 16:16

Quote:
I have first hand knowledge that these type of photo displays are popular in high-level Appleonian homes. Besides being able to stream photos from a Mac, they will also connect to the iPod Photo, through the dock or directly. As has been noted in this thread, it will also nicely complement the new headless "media hub". It is coming this year. :smokey:
kode

2005-01-08, 21:53

*first post, hello all*

So guys, have you seen this?

Nokia Image Frame

The resolution is really horrible at the moment, but I'd assume that will get better soon. I think it's quite cool to be able to send the picture from a cell phone to the picture frame, although personally I don't find these electronic picture frames very interesting. And I don't know if even enormous flat screens on the walls would be that interesting to represent for example paintings because we already have tv's, and who wants to watch continuously some slide show? It might make a nice design element for a while, but I guess it'd get so boring very quickly. But anything might happen of course. The prices would have to come down a lot, though, to make these things appealing to such a large crowd that Apple usually is after. Because after all these kinds of picture frames are useful only for a few tasks: e.g. showing pictures and creating a mood (colors or sceneries).

Personally I guess it might be nice to have some 42" flat screen on the wall that gets live video feed for example from different locations on Earth: from big cities, from some beautiful landscapes etc., but that won't happen in a loooong time, because the prices of such a big screens are still so high at the moment.
Akumulator

2005-01-08, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kode
Personally I guess it might be nice to have some 42" flat screen on the wall that gets live video feed for example from different locations on Earth: from big cities, from some beautiful landscapes etc., but that won't happen in a loooong time, because the prices of such a big screens are still so high at the moment.
Like Total Recall? Sure, one day I guess I can see that happening. These screens are only going to get cheaper and cheaper. Who knows, maybe there'll be Plasma/LCD wallpaper in the future.
sfguy

2005-01-09, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
O.K. Akumulator! I look forward to winning that bet. Oh, by the way, can I get those Honey Roasted?
Akumulator

2005-01-09, 01:11

Quote:
O.K. Akumulator! I look forward to winning that bet. Oh, by the way, can I get those Honey Roasted?
Oh ok, sure. I didn't expect the winner to actually put them in their mouth or EAT them, but whatever you're into.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-09, 02:16

42 inch?No....We have a 80 inch TV for your wall todayl!

42'' tv?SO living in 2004...
Akumulator

2005-01-09, 02:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
42 inch?No....We have a 80 inch TV for your wall todayl!

42'' tv?SO living in 2004...
Not to mention the 102 incher they had there.
sfguy

2005-01-10, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
yeah, and this would turn that headless Mac everyone is talking about into a true Media Player.
EXACTLY!
motioncity

2005-01-11, 21:49

Nothing about iFrame. Well SFGUY, what do you have to say for yourself???