AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iOS and iPadOS 15

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iOS and iPadOS 15
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-24, 17:29

Very possible. When they commit to something, right or wrong, it's usually a full-on "go". I, too, am a bit surprised they gave folks the option. They'll probably use iOS 15 and 16 to ease people into it, eventually making it a permanent, "it's on the bottom and you'll like it" thing.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-25, 12:22

I'm getting used to it on the bottom and do appreciate it with the phone being easier to use with one hand for that. It is a struggle to find certain things still and muscle memory is certainly at play in all this.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-25, 12:54

Do they still have that feature in modern, newer (and larger?) iPhones where you can "pull" the top of the screen down to the bottom half of your phone screen? I know the name wasn't "Reacharound", but that's what I'm going with unless/until corrected...

Or was that done away with?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-25, 13:36

It is still there. I accidentally hit it regularly and then remember how handy it is.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-25, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Do they still have that feature in modern, newer (and larger?) iPhones where you can "pull" the top of the screen down to the bottom half of your phone screen? I know the name wasn't "Reacharound", but that's what I'm going with unless/until corrected...

Or was that done away with?
They do. It's Reachability, so close enough. It took me a while to figure out how to do it on Face ID phones (and I wasn't sure it was still a thing at all).

On Touch ID phones, you'd double-tap (not click!) the home button. On Face ID phones, you swipe down from a little above the bottom edge towards the bottom edge; i.e., you kind of "pull the content down".
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-09-26, 06:44

I’m having minor issues with some apps not sending notifications after migrating from my 12 Pro to 13 Pro. Majority I just deleted the app and reinstalled but some are the built in apps like News and Weather. Any suggestions?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-26, 07:30

Can you not delete/reinstall those as well? When I put my phone in “wiggle” mode, both of those have a minus sign and everything now looks to be delete-able (that wasn’t always the case, was it?). Certain stock, built-in Apple apps weren’t able to be deleted, but that no longer seems to be the case.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-09-26, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Can you not delete/reinstall those as well? When I put my phone in “wiggle” mode, both of those have a minus sign and everything now looks to be delete-able (that wasn’t always the case, was it?). Certain stock, built-in Apple apps weren’t able to be deleted, but that no longer seems to be the case.
Thanks! I didn’t even realize you could delete stock apps. You know what they say about assuming…..
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-26, 07:54

You could do so for a while now, but there were still some holdouts…apps they wouldn’t allow you to delete. Today is the first time I realized that everything built-in looks to be removable. Might be an iOS 15 thing, not really sure.

I learn something new every day, whether I mean to or not.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-26, 10:00

Presumably, this was introduced with iOS 14; namely, you can remove them from the Home Screen because they’ll still be in App Library.

Whereas apps like Mail you can remove altogether.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-26, 10:04

Ah...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-14, 11:23

So is anyone else having strange scrolling issues once upgraded to iOS15.0.2? Specifically in Safari? I have no issues when moving up and down on a page when holding the phone normally, but when I turn the phone on its side if I am not moving my fingers on the extreme edges of the screen it will not respond to inputs. Very strange, never seen anything like this in iOS before. It does not happen all the time either.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-14, 11:27

Yep, I've experienced that on my iPhone. I've not installed 15.0.2 yet, but since installing iOS 15 (and that first follow up), so many little things seem different/odd, and some of them are indeed based around responsiveness and scrolling. I do realize I can't get too bent out of shape with a five-and-a-half-year old iPhone, but none of this was an issue with iOS 14 and earlier. So it's a 15-based thing, whatever is going on.

Something I've been meaning to ask about: is that little "flip animation" where the top of the screen seems to flip up 90 degrees from the side (I've not rotated the phone, mind you) some new "feature"/aspect of iOS 15?

Or is my phone possessed?

I don't encounter it all the time, or with every app. And I can't seem to establish a pattern of why/when, but just out of the blue I'll launch Weather, Safari or Maps (I'll be in portrait/normal mode, BTW) and the screen for the just-opened app will briefly appear on its side and then twist up to the top, where it's supposed to be.

Seems kinda unnecessary and pointless if it is indeed a "feature" or new eye candy for iOS 15. Not sure what it's supposed to signify or help with. Too brief to be of any real-world, practical use or notification of anything important. We're talking a second or less, just enough for me to see it happen, as though the display is being spun 90 degrees within the phone itself.

If it's my phone glitching/stroking out, then that's a different thing completely...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-10-14, 11:40

Good to know it’s not just me. I didn’t notice it with earlier builds though, but maybe because it’s somewhat intermittent it just didn’t happen earlier? Closing the browser (not just going to the Home Screen) and relaunching it seems to fix the issue for a while anyway.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-14, 12:16

I'm not seeing it on my 13 mini. Normally I end up browsing via 1Password or the DuckDuckGo app though. Pretty sure they use the same engines but never bothered to look into them. I do use Safari, but normally when a default weblink is clicked.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-14, 12:27

I'm actually happy - and quite impressed - that Apple/iOS supports such an old phone. I have very little reason to genuinely squawk. But these little visual glitches are interesting, and I truly don't know if it's a "feature" or my phone's graphics just wigging out with the new iOS. Doesn't affect usability and lasts less than a second, so it's not really impacting anything. Just funny to see my display swoop up 90 degrees at random times upon launching an app (always upon launching an app, never during or while using).
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-11-10, 06:38

Does anyone else have issues with Alarms since the update? Songs that I had set as my alarm won't play or they are silenced or incredibly low volume. I've had my alarms go off but you wouldn't know it. It's very annoying.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-10, 09:33

Haven’t noticed any changes to alarms, still acting just as strange as they always have.
chucker

2021-11-10, 09:39

(I use alarms and they work fine, but mine don't use a song. I wish I could use a playlist for an alarm.)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-11-10, 10:37

I have always used songs or alarm snippets that I made and never had any issues but now it's completely unreliable. For example this morning, I had an alarm set for 6am with a song to play and I got nothing playing this morning. I set a backup at 6:05 and it played but the volume was way low and muted itself almost right away.

@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-10, 10:45

I've got lots of little weird things happening across several apps since iOS 15/15.1: Podcasts, Messages, FaceTime, alarms, Safari. Nothing catastrophic, just several little annoying, sloppy glitches that were never a problem before. And the near-useless autocorrect with Messages (sucking well before iOS 15) is still in place, as always.

Here's hoping iOS 15.2 smacks some of these things into shape (although I've accepted that auto-correct is a lost cause and will continue making me sound like a sub-literate lunatic in texts to friends and family for years to come).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-10, 11:25

Is it possible that the issue is related to alter volume level vs game/media volume?

My customer tones and such moved over fine for my migration/upgrades.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-11-10, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Is it possible that the issue is related to alter volume level vs game/media volume?

My customer tones and such moved over fine for my migration/upgrades.
I'm not really sure tbh. The one thing I saw that might fix it was I went to Sounds & Haptics and Ringers and Alerts and clicked change with Buttons and turned it all the way up but haven't had any changes.

It's almost like when the alarm goes and it's working normally, but the phone wakes but not unlocked or something like that, it goes to a muted/muffled/lowered volume. It's really weird. Never experienced anything like this before.

@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-10, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I have always used songs or alarm snippets that I made and never had any issues but now it's completely unreliable. For example this morning, I had an alarm set for 6am with a song to play and I got nothing playing this morning. I set a backup at 6:05 and it played but the volume was way low and muted itself almost right away.
Maybe it has something to do with Focus settings that came/changed with 15?
chucker

2021-11-10, 15:54

(I’ve been seeing bugs where sounds play at entirely the wrong volume for years.)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-10, 20:49

I think some people get confused because playback volume (music/videos etc) and ring/alarm volume are different. That's not a bug, it's a feature.
chucker

2021-11-11, 03:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I think some people get confused because playback volume (music/videos etc) and ring/alarm volume are different. That's not a bug, it's a feature.
Well, kind of. I think it’s extremely confusing because you never really see both volumes side by side.

But also, it doesn’t explain why a sound’s volume would suddenly change during playback.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-11-17, 21:07

My iPhone X updated last night.

I’m on iOS 15.1 - jumped from 14.x I guess.

As a customer who maintained stock Apple apps, I’m pleased with the updates to a few of their apps:

Calendar - I am extremely happy with better date/time input on event creation. I live by Calendar and the prior iteration was frustrating on so many levels. I wish I had taken screenshots and pointed out the areas for improvement, like a usability report, but I felt there were more important issues to rant about/focus on last year.
Weather - To a large degree I was happy with the stock offering from Apple (I’m not an avid Weather checker like my wife and daughter) but the visual range of temperatures, cleaner segmentation, and added details (for those who care) make this an excellent update.
Maps - I have stuck with Apple Maps since it launched. Like Weather, it met my basic needs well enough. I’m glad to see Apple keep iterating and improving the experience. I’m not sure how “far behind” Apple Maps is in comparison to other map apps, but this is a good update in terms of legibility and map styles.
Safari - I don’t mind the controls at the bottom of the screen. I watched from the sidelines as the UI was refined during the beta period… so I can’t comment on the initial experience. After one morning of use, I’m content with the updates to Safari. They do not rub me the wrong way, but neither do they bring me the same degree of joy as the updates to Calendar, Weather, and Maps have.

Update: I have just experienced one aspect that is jarring… controls for the “nova” are at the top of the page, but Safari controls are at the bottom. If I look for today’s posts, and there is nothing new to see, then I usually change tabs or enter a different address in the url field… which used to be up top. Now those controls are not there anymore. From a browsing perspective on the iPhone, this is not an issue: all controls are fixed at bottom of screen. However, when I interact on a site (with controls located top of page) then this creates two distinct areas of interaction and I have to mentally and physically reorient myself to progress the next task. Not a big deal, but something I noticed.
—-

Finally, is it just my pedantic self, or do others wish iOS was labelled iPhone OS… I mean what other iDevice uses this OS?

We have:
  • macOS
  • iOS
  • iPadOS
  • tvOS
  • watchOS

iOS strikes me as the outlier in this group.

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2021-11-17 at 23:53. Reason: Added an update to Safari comment
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-17, 21:54

Ha...I was thinking about that exact thing about three days ago, as I was bopping around Apple's site. Yeah, now that everything has kinda split off (iPad) or has become its own thing (watch and TV), iOS seems a bit left behind.

Mr. Consistency (me) thinks it should fall in line and be named as the others. Maybe on the next go-around, iPhoneOS 16? Not a major thing, but does kinda stand out if you let yourself think about it. And I always do.

I, too, like the new built-in apps in iOS 15. I was able to jettison The Weather Channel app, which was always a slog to get through (I think they just stopped development/improvement on it around 2012 or so). But the new Apple weather app rolls in some of that Dark Sky stuff, I think. And I've noticed it pretty much nails the rain stuff. If it says "light rain beginning in five minutes, last for about an hour"...that's pretty much what winds up happening.

And I've never fooled with any other map app than Apple's, and I like it (both Mac and iOS). It gets better every year. I'll still use Google Maps for its street level/view thing on my Mac, especially to virtually "drive" a route beforehand so I'm familiar with everything, landmarks, etc. But I've never used anything on my phone but Apple's built-in Maps.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-11-17, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Finally, is it just my pedantic self, or do others wish iOS was labelled iPhone OS… I mean what other iDevice uses this OS?
Do they still sell the iPod Touch? That was the holdout, I think.