AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Simplest way to make ringtones for iOS

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Simplest way to make ringtones for iOS
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-13, 09:51

What is the simplest way to make ringtones for iOS today, in 2021?

I ask this because my daughter got a new phone and wants custom ringtones for everything. (I know she will hate them soon enough, but for now it is a novelty.). We have tons of songs in our library and of course tracks we can find on the web that would cut down to 30 second loops fairly nicely.

I've been looking online and there are so many different articles out there that are generally wrong now. They might have worked years ago, but not now. So how is the simplest way to make ringtones today? I'd like to get the method down and then teach her how to do it herself. Of course, this is on a Mac, not a PC so we can skip the steps for PC.

Currently I've installed GarageBand and figured out how to trim and fade the ending of the audio. Then export to AAC and rename that file to .m4r. Drag to my phone wire connected to the Mac via Finder and there it is.

Is that the best way to go about it now?

What about if the song is already 30 seconds or less but maybe a different audio format?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-13, 10:07

I don't think there's anything wrong with that method.

I also believe .m4r is just renamed .m4a to make the purpose (ringtones) clearer. Unlike .m4b ('books'), which adds chapter metadata, or .m4p ('protected'), which adds FairPlay DRM.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-15, 13:44

GarageBand even removed Ringtone as an option for a project.

I had a ringtone I made that worked, imported into my phone just fine. Created a shared folder in iCloud and invited my family to it. Put the ringtone in there and they can all install it now. Except they can't, it won't play on their devices. Heck, I can't even get it to import on another device I have. It worked before I shared it with iCloud, now it won't.

This is frustrating to say the least and all so my kid can have Lord Vader talking when I call them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wintyni

2021-11-12, 10:24

Thanks for the renaming trick. I was able to set my father's favorite song as a ringtone, he was very happy.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-12, 11:59

Why was he happy? Does he live in Toledo?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-12, 12:57

I was waiting to see if they edit their post to add a link since they can't right away. I hear the travel time from Toledo to here can be brutal though.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-12, 13:08

I can make it a quick trip.

Wintyni

2021-11-14, 10:24

oh, thanks a lot for the passive aggression. I always thought this was the best response to gratitude.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-14, 10:41

Wait, they took away the ability to create custom ringtones? That is supremely disappointing.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-14, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintyni View Post
oh, thanks a lot for the passive aggression. I always thought this was the best response to gratitude.
Most new sign ups the last few years have been bots that link to ‘fun’ websites. Has made everyone look at any new members with scepticism at best.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-14, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Most new sign ups the last few years have been bots that link to ‘fun’ websites. Has made everyone look at any new members with scepticism at best.
It is in fact a rule now that you need to prove that you're not some high functioning bot; in this case a bot pretending pretending to take offense. Also, have you ever been to Toledo?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-14, 12:49

No I’ve never been to Toledo. Haven’t been to the US since 2008, don’t miss it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-11-14, 14:28

No one needs to go to Toledo