User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

My old iPhone is confused

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
My old iPhone is confused
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-04, 04:47

So, I migrated from an iPhone 11 to 13, and that was a bit rockier than I had hoped, but mostly fine.

Now, towards the end of that phone-to-phone transfer, iOS asked me if I wanted to reset the old device. I'm pretty sure I said no. But!
  • I now tried to use Threema's guide to migrate to the new phone. It only migrated… some of the data?? OK. Let's ignore that.
  • More importantly, Google Authenticator is completely confused now. Both the old phone and the new phone think they're fresh, and if I tap "import existing accounts" on the old(!) device, it asks me to open the app on the old device. Uh-oh.

How do I convince Google Authenticator that it is, in fact, the correct device? Does restoring from an iCloud backup help, or make it worse?

(I might still have it working on my even older iPhone 8…)

Last edited by chucker : 2021-11-04 at 09:13.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-04, 08:33

Holy crap. No idea, but you have me hooked to this drama. Subscribe.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-04, 08:41

I'm very… whelmed, overall. It's a nice new phone but the old one was fine and… why am I putting all this work in?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-04, 08:59

From reading reviews on the App Store, you aren’t the only one this has happened to. You could try an iCloud restore, that’s how I have moved the last few times. Now that Google will be forcing 2FA on all accounts, I suspect we’ll be hearing about this more. Don’t have the app, so cannot help.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-04, 09:38

Might be worth moving to iCloud Keychain 2FA now. Since you're all in for Apple it would work. Of course, I use 1Password but get how someone wouldn't want to pay for it when the Google Auth app is free.

Have you looked at hardware keys?

I know none of this helps your current issue, but it does seem that you aren't alone.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2021-11-04, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Might be worth moving to iCloud Keychain 2FA now.
My recent ones are on Authy, which seemed to just work™. However, I've been too lazy to migrate all of them. And that might bite me in the butt now. I'm not sure why Google's is so bad?

Moving to iCloud isn't an option because I'm still on Big Sur; my Mac is too old. I'm considering hacking it to run Monterey, but, y'know.

Quote:
Of course, I use 1Password but get how someone wouldn't want to pay for it when the Google Auth app is free.
I also use 1Password but have started moving away from it. They have been innovating in some areas in recent years, but overall, I just don't think it's as good a deal as it used to be.

Quote:
Have you looked at hardware keys?
I could do that but that seems… not a great UX. Oof.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-04, 10:45

Back up the old iPhone to your Mac and restore the new one from that backup.

Using iCloud restore and phone-to-phone has always been a bit rocky.
chucker

2021-11-04, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Back up the old iPhone to your Mac and restore the new one from that backup.

Using iCloud restore and phone-to-phone has always been a bit rocky.
Well, if Google Authenticator on the old phone no longer thinks it's setup, backing it up now probably won't do any good.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-04, 10:58

Keep it in your head for future reference.

I just did three new iPhone's 13 for the family. I did the daughter's from iCloud and it broke. Backed it up to my Mac and it was flawless. Did the wife's and mine from the Mac and not one problem.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)