AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New Aluminum Apple Displays: 23" 30"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Aluminum Apple Displays: 23" 30"
Page 5 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  Next Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-15, 22:45

I'm kinda leaning in the 23" direction. Don't get me wrong; I technically can't afford either option, but I'm going to have to choose one pretty soon because my CRT is starting to crap out on me. I tried working the invisible palette route for a while and it works OK. But it's almost like the time I save by not having to use the grabby tool to move the image / canvas, is lost by pausing to remember which palette is hooked to which key.

I guess what I should do is stack as many of them together as I can so there are fewer keys to remember, but then the slow down comes when you have to move the mouse to choose a different tab.

One thing I kind of like about that Sketchbook Pro app is the new way of approaching toolsets. They're sort of grouped by general category and stowed invisibly but pop right up with a mouse click. I wonder if Apple could / will do something analogous with the Finder / Desktop / Dock functionality.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-16, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame
My brother and I just bought a dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac with the 20" Aluminum Display. The display will come tomorrow, and I'd be happy to post photographs as we open the box and set it up. However, there is the problem of hosting the images as my new ISP (Adelphia) blocks http requests. If anyone can give me a workaround/place to host I'd be most grateful.

Blueflame
So let it be written, so let it be done...

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...Blueflame's snazzy new 20" Cinema Display

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-16, 08:40

And then the denizens of Aldo Nova saw the light... and it was good.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-16, 08:48

Onya Paul - thanks for hosting the shots.

Damn - it's nice and sleek. Such an improvement on the previous screen in those photos.
Blueflame

Send a message via AIM to Blueflame  
2004-07-16, 11:03

Thank you, pscates, for hosting the images.

As it turns out, the LCD is flawless. Not a single bad pixel that I can see.

Now if only the G5 were here...

Blueflame
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-16, 11:15

You're welcome. No problem. Although I dig your old display too! I loved the glass 17" Studio Displays with the funky, "wrap around on itself" base!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-16, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
You're welcome. No problem. Although I dig your old display too! I loved the glass 17" Studio Displays with the funky, "wrap around on itself" base!
I love those things too. I still have one hooked up to my Cube. It's an awesome display. Not a single problem with it ever.

And to top it all off, it looks really really cool

Come waste your time with me
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2004-07-16, 21:42

damnit.. I want that now.. -_-
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2004-07-16, 22:55

Got mine today. Hooked up to my 12" Alu. Powerbook.

IT'S. SO. WIDE!
IT'S. SO. BRIGHT!
IT'S. SO. SHARP!

I'm kind of lost on the desktop, rearranging my apps now with all the additional real estate.

...and yes, not a bad pixel among the 1.7 million.

Screed
MacUsers

2004-07-16, 23:03

post pix noooooow!

EDS66

2004-07-16, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame
Thank you, pscates, for hosting the images.

As it turns out, the LCD is flawless. Not a single bad pixel that I can see.

Now if only the G5 were here...

Blueflame
How's color uniformity. Is the bottom brighter than the top? Any side brighter than the other one. Are the whites pretty accurate? Any dead pixels?
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2004-07-16, 23:58

What generation Allu 12" u got? 1 gig? 1.33 gig?
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2004-07-17, 00:27

Now my camera downplays the brightness a bit due to the flash and the Powerbook is at angle, but still the difference is real.

The poor, old (19Kg!!) Syncmaster looking down from its perch. I'm still using it for the Cube peaking out on the right.

I'll connect the ACD to my PC (the shiny black thing the display's power box on the lower left) over the weekend. I want to see how Windows handles the resolution.

If I went truly, truly mad, I might buy a second one... depending on my employment status.

Screed
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-17, 13:12

Madness is not always a bad thing, you know....

NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-07-17, 17:59

I just bought a 23". It's all they had at the Apple Store, so I said "Why not!"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-17, 18:07

Wow! Do you have some pics you can post?

I just called the Alpharetta store in Atlanta and they're completely sold out! They only have ONE 23" demo display.

Rats. I was going down to check out the 20". Still going, just wanted to see the one I'd actually wind up getting at some point...

Would love to see your 23"

Okay, that was the worst thing I could ever type to another guy...

NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-07-17, 18:22

Heh.
Well, I'll take some pics in a bit - busy cleaning up the desk and changing things around for the new device.

I have to admit, and this is sacrilege I know, that I'm actually going to hook it up to my Pee Cee.
I'm so sorry. Really I am, but my dead 12" PowerBook won't drive it (even if it was functional), my new 12" iBook won't work with it either, so the gaming rig is all I have until I get a new G5 - the store did not have any dual 2.5's in stock.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-07-17, 19:58

It's beautiful. No dead/stuck pixels.
Now I just need to get some widescreen desktops - oh, and a G5.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-17, 21:59

"derrrrrr. which way did it go George, which way did it go...?"

NICE.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-17, 22:21

:drool: <- we need this smilie
Blueflame

Send a message via AIM to Blueflame  
2004-07-18, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS66
How's color uniformity. Is the bottom brighter than the top? Any side brighter than the other one. Are the whites pretty accurate? Any dead pixels?
As far as I can tell, the color is uniform on all axes (how it's uniform front to back I leave as an exercise to the reader). No dead pixels, and the white looks white, albeit not quite as white as the old CRT it replaced. The colors tend to shift a bit when the LCD is viewed from extreme angles, but the shift is only noticeable on blacks (it appears slightly reddish).

All in all, money well spent!

Blueflame
MacUsers

2004-07-18, 13:58

I'm at the Apple Store in Lenox Square and these displays are hot!.. I want one now!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-18, 18:51

Can you play around with them at all? Gaming test to see how the response time fairs? Photoshop for color?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-18, 18:52

Ha, I was at the Alpharetta store only hours ago.

They only had one 23" in stock, and it was the demo model. No 20" or 23" to sell, but she said they're getting more in this week.

So I only saw the 23". And I love it. Which kinda alters all my plans. I no longer really have the desire for a 20" like I did before today...the 23" was just simply too bodacious and drool-inducing. SO MUCH SPACE TO WORK IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I can't really justify the 23" right now either.

What I'd LOVE to do, honestly, is get a 12" G5 PowerBook a year from now, or whenever they come out. Hopefully, by then, that model will come with the lighted keyboard and the option for 128MB graphics. I'd get that cute little monster AND a 23" Cinema Display and just have the most ass-kicking, best-of-both-worlds setup I could ask for (ultimate portability AND screen real estate).

I honestly think I'd rather have a small PowerBook and large display than a mid-range 15" PowerBook and 20" Display. Seems more practical and more of a true, meaningful "difference".

Although this could change by tomorrow morning...
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-07-18, 20:52

Quote:
What I'd LOVE to do, honestly, is get a 12" G5 PowerBook a year from now, or whenever they come out. Hopefully, by then, that model will come with the lighted keyboard and the option for 128MB graphics. I'd get that cute little monster AND a 23" Cinema Display and just have the most ass-kicking, best-of-both-worlds setup I could ask for (ultimate portability AND screen real estate).
That is exactly what I am going to do. I cant use the new monitors with my rev. a 12" PB anyway so Im going to wait til the G5 PB comes out, whenever that is, and buy a 20" or a 23" screen to go with it. Now thats the stuff dreams are made of.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-18, 21:12

They did have a 12" PowerBook hooked to an older 20" (it might've been the 23", I couldn't really tell) Cinema Display (the three-legged design) and it was quite cool to see that side-by-side and imagine having all that nice working space while at home, doing serious stuff, but then closing up that dinky little 12" and heading out the door (so small!).

Yeah, best of both worlds for sure.

I was with my Dad and he'd never really seen Apple's stuff, all of it, in real life and close up (he's only seen my tangerine iMac DV, iMac G4 and 15" PowerBook). But he was in total "jaw drop" mode at the Apple store today.

He kept walking around, and looking at everything from all sides, touching it and just smiling. When he saw the new 23" I thought he was going to start slobbering. He loved the eMacs and was asking lots of questions about the 14" iBook. And he was playing with the iPod minis and seeing how many windows he could open on the 23".

"I can't believe they make one this big!"

"Well, don't forget...they have a 30" coming too, Dad...AND you could put them side-by-side and drive them from one G5".

He couldn't quite get his head around that (I almost can't, and I'm used to this stuff!)

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-18, 21:21

Who said you can't teach on old dog new tricks?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-07-18, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
They did have a 12" PowerBook hooked to an older 20" (it might've been the 23", I couldn't really tell) Cinema Display (the three-legged design) and it was quite cool to see that side-by-side and imagine having all that nice working space while at home, doing serious stuff, but then closing up that dinky little 12" and heading out the door (so small!).

Yeah, best of both worlds for sure.

I was with my Dad and he'd never really seen Apple's stuff, all of it, in real life and close up (he's only seen my tangerine iMac DV, iMac G4 and 15" PowerBook). But he was in total "jaw drop" mode at the Apple store today.

He kept walking around, and looking at everything from all sides, touching it and just smiling. When he saw the new 23" I thought he was going to start slobbering. He loved the eMacs and was asking lots of questions about the 14" iBook. And he was playing with the iPod minis and seeing how many windows he could open on the 23".

"I can't believe they make one this big!"

"Well, don't forget...they have a 30" coming too, Dad...AND you could put them side-by-side and drive them from one G5".

He couldn't quite get his head around that (I almost can't, and I'm used to this stuff!)

If you're dad was thinking that about the 23"... he'll go crazy when he sees the 30". It sounds like they didn't have any at the store you went to... the 30" makes the others look like 10" screens. Seeing two of them together at WWDC was awesome. Too bad I don't have 10k for a dual 30" + G5 setup

I'd personally go with a 12" PB + 20" as an ideal setup... can't justify the price delta betwen 20" and 23".
MacUsers

2004-07-18, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
If you're dad was thinking that about the 23"... he'll go crazy when he sees the 30". It sounds like they didn't have any at the store you went to... the 30" makes the others look like 10" screens. Seeing two of them together at WWDC was awesome. Too bad I don't have 10k for a dual 30" + G5 setup

I'd personally go with a 12" PB + 20" as an ideal setup... can't justify the price delta betwen 20" and 23".
Remember they don't have 30's till August.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-07-18, 21:36

Edit: N/M, misunderstood comment.

Last edited by MCQ : 2004-07-18 at 21:47.