User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Internet Connect chooses 802.1X, ignores Built-In Ethernet: problem?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Internet Connect chooses 802.1X, ignores Built-In Ethernet: problem?
malcolm

2006-01-14, 12:20

Hi there,
Here's what I have at home: an iMac connected to the internet via Ethernet, through a Wireless router. My wife has a powerbook upstairs (both are running Tiger).
My problem is that my interent connection is very flaky. I don't know whether to blame my service provider, or my computer, my router or my software. All I know is that I keep having to unplug my router, wait twenty seconds, then plug it in again, and re-launch Safari. Then it connects. But an hour later... same problem.
When I go to Internet Connect, it shows just two icons in the menu at the top of the window: one for VPN (which I'm not aware of using) and another for 802.1X. Nothing for Built-In Ethernet... which I THINK should be there. I can choose Built-In Ethernet from a scroll-list below, but then I still have to unplug the router, etc., to re-connect to the internet.
Does anyone know what's wrong? Do I somehow need to get Built-In Ethernet back into the Internet Connect menu, at the top?
When I go to 'Network' in System Preferences, it shows Built-In Ethernet as being my default connection (and it's been set to stay connected, by the way), but this seems be to over-ridden by this other 802.1X ghost in the machine.
Can anyone advise please?
Thanks so much,
mhcbc
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-01-14, 12:34

what router do you have? i have a couple of routers setup around my apartment and my parents next door. they usually all work fine except for one, a netgear. atleast once a day is stops working and i have to unplug it and reconnect it. seems you have a similar problem.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
usurp

2006-01-14, 12:36

btw the ethernet port should NOT be in your internet connect menu. its right the way it is with you now.
malcolm

2006-01-14, 18:25

thank you usurp! I now know not to blame Internet Connect, which is a good start. So it may be the router, eh? It's made by Efficient Networks, model 'Slipstream 6300'. What router would you recommend?
Thanks,
mhcbc
usurp

2006-01-15, 01:00

never heard of efficiient networks.

i have 3 brands i use at home, Linksys, Dlink and Netgear. from the 3 I have NEVER had a single problem with the Linksys routers.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-01-15, 01:17

Quote:
When I go to 'Network' in System Preferences, it shows Built-In Ethernet as being my default connection (and it's been set to stay connected, by the way),
there should not be anything regarding "stay connected" on your built-in Ethernet, if you are connected to a router.

Make sure that "Connect Using PPPoE" is unchecked.