Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPod battery issues

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod battery issues
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-02-02, 13:44

why is it that my 3G 20gig iPod runs out of battery power over a period of time even when its not being used? It's quite annoying...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-03, 01:27

How long of a period are we talking about?

There's the possibility that the iPod is not shutting down for some reason. After it has sat idle for, say, an two hours, what happens when you start using it? Are you greeted with the Apple logo for a few seconds as it boots back up? If not, there's the problem: it's staying on the whole time.

That said, I'm not sure of a solution for such a problem. I'm not an iPod expert; so, maybe someone else will chime in.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-02-03, 01:52

Usually it's an issue of a timer/alarm that's set to turn on the iPod without your knowledge.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-02-03, 01:59

Say over the course of a day or two. I make sure i shut it off and then when I do so, I put the hold button on so i make sure its off. It's just annoying to know that you fully charged it a day or two ago and go to use it and its almost dead or is dead.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-03, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey
I make sure i shut it off and then when I do so, I put the hold button on so i make sure its off.
It doesn't go "off". If it did, you would have people complaining that it takes so long turning back on.

Check here.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-02-03, 02:41

I thought when you held the play/pause button, that turned it off?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-03, 03:06

Quote:
I thought when you held the play/pause button, that turned it off?
No, that's stand-by. Old iPods have sleep (stand-by) as well as "deep sleep", which automatically gets entered after a while. Once "deep sleep" kicks in, more battery is preserved, but going back to playing takes longer.

Newer iPods have the "hibernation" mode instead, which leaves battery alone but still boots fast enough (as it's suspend-to-RAM, essentially).
beardedmacuser

2006-02-03, 04:19

Quote:
Say over the course of a day or two. I make sure i shut it off and then when I do so, I put the hold button on so i make sure its off. It's just annoying to know that you fully charged it a day or two ago and go to use it and its almost dead or is dead.
My 40 gig 3rd gen iPod used to run the battery down overnight when I wasn't using it. Even after a full long charge, come the morning it'd be totally flat. It was still under warranty so I sent it back, and it never returned... but that's been discussed a couple of times in this forum before.
Joolz34

2006-02-03, 07:24

Hi,
What you need to do is to go into the extra's settings and then choose the settings for calendar.
In there you will find a calendar alarm that has more than likely been set to "beep", which is the default setting. Disable this and your ipod should last a little longer on the battery.
Btw when you switch the ipod off with the play button it goes into sleep. If you dont use it for an extended period, Ive forgotten how long sorry, it will go into extended or deep sleep to further conserve the battery.
The calendar alarm as far as Im aware prevents the ipod from going into this deep sleep because it has to play the alarm.

Hope this makes sense?

The long and short of it is that by disabling the calendar alarm you battery time while in sleep mode should improve.

Joolz