Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Airport and ethernet connection at the same time

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Airport and ethernet connection at the same time
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-06-21, 08:47

currently i connect to the internet through my airport connection and it works fine. i also want to connect to my gigabit RAID array using the ethernet connection. however, the moment i plug in the ethernet cable the internet stops working. it's as if the computer is now looking for the internet through the ethernet connection even though it is still available and connected through the airport.....

i would connect my raid to the internet connection, but it is a campus connection and i can only have one IP address. As a result i have a regular IP address through the airport and i have a 192.168.x.x IP assigned via the ethernet connection.

how do i allow my RAID to be connected without losing internet connectivity?
EmC

2006-06-21, 09:11

In system preferences|network pull down the drop down menu and choose "configure ports" (something like that I am sitting at a PC right now) when the configure ports screen opens you should have a list of all possible network connections, make sure that AirPort is at the top of this list.

You should also be able to link the two computers via ethernet, then in system preferences|sharing turn on internet connection sharring to share your connection from airport to ethernet and then both computers will have internet connection and your computer with the gigabit raid array will be assigned a DHCP IP address you will be able to share files back and forth and surf on both computers.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-06-21, 12:10

cheers, mate!
EmC

2006-06-21, 12:39

Glad to help. I've had the same problem before and found the answer through dumb luck.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-06-23, 12:46

ahhhh yes.... dumb luck.. the best tech support..... Apple should outsource to them instead of india