User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

PS3 or Xbox 360 to work with Ethernet hub?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PS3 or Xbox 360 to work with Ethernet hub?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-03-25, 14:10

Is anyone here using their Xbox 360 or their PS3 with an ethernet hub?

I don't like playing games over Wi-Fi. Too much latency when compared to Ethernet. Even if I wanted to use Wi-Fi, I would want to use 802.11n, which is supported by no console at the moment. That said, I have my Mac Pro, my Xbox 360, and my 20GB PS3 which I will probably purchase sometime soon, hopefully before October, when GTA4 comes out. (I know GTA4 will be on the Xbox 360 too, but I have a sneaky feeling that the PS3 version will be slightly better).

Problem is, I remember back in the day when I had my Xbox and my PS2, and using a hub caused a problem. My PS2 handled ethernet through a hub just fine, but the Xbox didn't like being connected to anything but the router. I cant just connect all three to the router through the Ethernet ports, because I am in a different room in the house which is only being fed a single Ethernet cable, directly from the router.

Does anyone here use their PS3 or Xbox 360 with an ethernet hub? Does it work fine?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-03-25, 15:06

Several of my friends use the Wi-Fi thingy for their 360's. They don't seem to have any problems with it.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-03-25, 15:10

The 360 works fine like that, and I can't imagine why the PS3 wouldn't work just as well.
neiltc13

2007-03-25, 18:04

I have my PS3, Wii and Xbox 360 connected to my home network (powered by a Netgear DG834G, the best consumer wireless router in the world) via 802.11g WiFi. I see no latency issues whatsoever.

You should consider the possibility that the latency is caused further down the line ie - your internet connection is not up to scratch. Remember - online gaming requires a speedy upstream connection too, especially when there is voice chat.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-03-25, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
The 360 works fine like that, and I can't imagine why the PS3 wouldn't work just as well.
Okay, but I don't wanna spend the extra $100 per console for wireless connectivity when I could be using a gigabit ethernet connection and a $40 hub. I have live ethernet next to the consoles already, what's the point of spending extra money for a slower connection - unless a hub wont work.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-03-25, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Okay, but I don't wanna spend the extra $100 per console for wireless connectivity when I could be using a gigabit ethernet connection and a $40 hub. I have live ethernet next to the consoles already, what's the point of spending extra money for a slower connection - unless a hub wont work.
I meant it works fine through a switch. I've never used a 360 over ethernet. Sorry, I should have been more specific.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-03-25, 20:09

Quote:
I meant it works fine through a switch. I've never used a 360 over ethernet. Sorry, I should have been more specific.
Ahh, confused. Works over the switch or over Wi-Fi? (Did you perhaps mean "never used a 360 over Wi-Fi"?)
Kamanchi Slide

2007-03-26, 03:13

I've got my 360 wired up via ethernet to my Linksys router, i used to use the wireless network adaptor but found it too tempramental and way to much lag. I got my PS3 on Friday and thats using the built in wireless and it hasn't missed a beat.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-03-26, 06:40

Quote:
Ahh, confused. Works over the switch or over Wi-Fi? (Did you perhaps mean "never used a 360 over Wi-Fi"?)
Wow. Yeah, you're right. Works with a switch. I never used one over WiFi. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-03-26, 12:01

Quote:
Wow. Yeah, you're right. Works with a switch. I never used one over WiFi. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.
Too much Xbox 360, probably.

Which switch, specifically?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-03-26, 12:22

Quote:
If a hub doesn't work, then buy a cheap used router/switch. I have a Linksys wired only 4 port router that's just taking up space (got a b/g wireless router last December) that I could get to you for <$40 if you're in the lower 48 (PM me if interested. Mods, if this needs to go into the FS forum, let me know).

BTW, most multiport routers act as switches, which I like to think of as intelligent hubs. Instead of splitting your bandwidth among whatever devices are connected to a hub, the switch timeshares the full bandwidth of your LAN between each piece of hardware requesting it. This gives a higher throughput rate than using a hub.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-03-26, 14:09

Switch>Hub

Hubs forward all traffic that is given to it to all connect devices... which causes collisions, and data loss

A switch, uses MAC address to "switch" data to the right device; therefor, there are no collisions... I personally would never use a hub, ever

If you can read this this, please send to an admin, i am blocked and cant post....
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-03-26, 14:49

Thanks guys for the responses.

So it sounds like this would be perfect for my needs.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-03-26, 20:56

yuppers
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-03-27, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
yuppers
2nded. That would be perfect for what you're doing.