AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Best keyboard and mouse combo?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Best keyboard and mouse combo?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-01-03, 11:16

I have just bought a 22 inch monitor, and I have had a nice printer for Christmas, so I would like a nice wireless keyboard and mouse combo to go with it. It needs to be comfortable, since I write a lot of essays and articles from it. I have been looking at the Microsoft 3000 set at Scan (where I also got the 22 inch monitor) and it looks bloody good value for money since some places are doing it for £55.

Can anyone recommend this kit or anything similar? I don't want to spend more than £25 to be honest, so the Apple kit is out (although I'm not a huge fan of it anyway!).
JohnnyTheA

2008-01-03, 17:00

I am using this http://www.amazon.com/BTC-Wireless-Multimedia-Keyboard-Joystick/dp/B000B7RBKE

I got it at Fry's in the US. I didn't know how well it would work but it was pretty cheap so I picked it up. Since I got the new iMac, I moved the G4 mini to the TV room where I use the big screen as a monitor for it. This keyboard/mouse combo works pretty good. It didn't say on the box that it was compat with Macs but all of the media keys worked as well. The only thing that is kinda cheap is the mouse joystick. It's construction is weak and I think that will be the first thing to go... The good thing is that the wireless never drops off for me...

Surfing the net on a recliner with a big screen TV is kinda cool.

JTA
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-01-03, 17:13

Microsoft Mice and keyboards are usually pretty good quality, these seem excellent value for the money.

Any chance you can get to see them and have a play, make sure you're happy with the way they feel/work.

If not for the kind of money you want to spend i would have thought you might struggle to find anything better. Good luck with the hunt.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2008-01-03, 17:24

Thanks g.

I might go and see if I can find the Microsoft 3000 to play with, see if it feels nice.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-01-03, 17:34

What monitor did you get?

/OT
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2008-01-03, 17:39

Neovo 22 inch. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/produ...oductID=743539

Not beautiful, but brilliant spec for the money. I'm a student - go figure.

It was today only, so I paid 139, and by signing up with avforums.com, you get free delivery.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2008-01-03, 18:33

You should go out to a store and feel keyboards and mice out in person. Pictures don't tell half the story.

I have kept an eye out on keyboards out of general interest, and in the cheapest keyboards, scissor key boards seem superior to membrane ones. Among keyboards of roughly equal layouts, tap lightly on the buttons with many fingers at once, don't press as if to actuate the buttons, and listen. The keycaps should not be so loose that they make lots of sprinkly noise, but make a dull sound like in Apple laptop keyboards. From the individual units I tested, Labtec felt surprisingly good, Logitech flimsy at the same price. These scissor keys are available at £10 or so, some of them have decent layouts too.

Mouse.. well. I really recommend you grab something with 1600dpi, and comes from either MS, Logitech or Razer. That jump is huge. Again, personal preference - do you want symmetric mouse, strongly ergo-shaped one or what? Firm or soft scroll wheel? Finger or palm control? Something like £25 should easily get you a good mouse, since a google finds current Razers at £30. Go through a local deal/price comparison site, maybe pick an older model, and you're golden.

I personally like to invest in good peripherals. They're the one place in the computer where you constantly physically feel what you're getting for the money. They last for two computer lifetimes or more, too.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-01-04, 02:59

Agreed, don't cheap out on your keyboard and mouse! I also recommend MS keyboards and mice, really like the look and feel of them, although my use of a MS wireless keyboard is limited. That said, I've been using one of their wireless mice (Intellimouse Explorer 2, which has 1000dpi) for over a year now, and I have to say its the best mouse I've ever used. It feels nice even after hours of use, no more sore wrist or fingers!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2008-01-04, 10:48

Well the monitor arrived today and its fantastic. The screen quality and brightness is excellent and it has a very thin bezel. I have unfortunately left the macbook adapter at Uni, so I have to wait until next Friday before I can use it ont the Mac!
Reid

2008-01-10, 15:18

I have the Microsoft Elite Keyboard for Bluetooth and the Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth (they came as a set). I love the mouse, but the keyboard--as I found with almost all of the wireless keyboards available--is really enormous. Theres so much extra volume taken up with the plastic bezel and palm-rest and extra media keys that I don't use. It works pretty well, but at least on Windows (I use it with an HP laptop at the office), the keyboard seems to intermittently lose its connection or at least fall asleep. There's nothing more irritating than sitting down at your computer and not being able to type anything without waiting a minute or so for the keyboard to re-establish its connection. The mouse "wakes up" in just a second or two, but the keyboard frequently requires complete re-pairing in order to get it to come back to life.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-01-10, 16:19

Well i just bought the new Aluminium Apple keyboard and i love it. It is a really good keyboard and allows to to type really fast. The space between the keys is great, stops all the accidental typos. Although the wirelss version doesn't have a number pad. The wired one is the best keyboard i have used.

As far as mice go. Microsoft make nice mice. I have an old USB Wireless MS mouse which is still going strong and the battery life is excellent. Something like the MS Laser 5000 is you want USB Wireless or i am sure they have a bluetooth version.

OK its not a kit but i reckon that i the best combo.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2008-01-10, 16:24

Well I went ahead and ordered the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 6000. I had the mouse before and the keyboard looks very ergenomic, as well as having great reviews.

Cheers for your help!
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-10, 17:24

In response to Nikstar, I recently replaced my old Apple Wireless keyboard with the new wired version and I'm not so happy. It's a fine keyboard, but the key travel is too short for me and there's not enough damping, leading to my fingers hurting a bit. Then again, I tend to pound the keys...
Why did I have to spill that juice?
At least I'm still plenty happy with my Razer Pro mouse

Converted 07/2005.
WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2008-01-11, 04:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
In response to Nikstar, I recently replaced my old Apple Wireless keyboard with the new wired version and I'm not so happy. It's a fine keyboard, but the key travel is too short for me and there's not enough damping, leading to my fingers hurting a bit. Then again, I tend to pound the keys...
You'll want this kb then IBM Model M Keyboard, probably the most famous keyboard ever.

The model M can take anything. Where Apple nowadays uses newfangled aluminium, IBM caters to real men with a steel plate below the keys. At 2.7KG the model M weighs more than my macbook. It's a keyboard AND a weapon!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2008-01-11, 06:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestleEwe View Post
You'll want this kb then IBM Model M Keyboard, probably the most famous keyboard ever.

The model M can take anything. Where Apple nowadays uses newfangled aluminium, IBM caters to real men with a steel plate below the keys. At 2.7KG the model M weighs more than my macbook. It's a keyboard AND a weapon!
Even the keyboard springs look like bullets in the patent application. This is fucking designed by Chuck Norris.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-11, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestleEwe View Post
I actually have one in the attic and I'd love to use it but the GF thinks it's a bit loud... (not to mention that it lacks a Command key)

Converted 07/2005.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2008-01-11, 09:05

Look Yonzie, you are going to have to grow a pair and realise that your keyboard is a hundred times more important than some woman.

Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-11, 09:31

OK, ok, I'll admit to getting old and actually not really liking the noise of that sucker anymore. Still a great keyboard though, if only it were a bit (a lot) quieter. Buckling springs is still the most awesome tech ever WRT. keyboard feel though. These modern plastic dome things that are in use today are just sucky. I've pondered about the Optimus Maximus having a nice feel since it uses individual keyswitches too, but $500 to try it out and $1000 for the model I'd want to have... A bit much.

Converted 07/2005.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-01-11, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
OK, ok, I'll admit to getting old and actually not really liking the noise of that sucker anymore. Still a great keyboard though, if only it were a bit (a lot) quieter. Buckling springs is still the most awesome tech ever WRT. keyboard feel though.
I always preferred the Alps keyswitch to the IBM bucking springs in both feel and noise.

As for mice...my current default is the Logitech MX518. The Logitech laser mice like the G5 have their pick-up units off-center so it doesn't feel right when I move it around my desk.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2008-01-14, 18:07

w00t, typed long post and the browser/forums just swallowed it because the forum login timed out or something.

Anyway, the gist of it was, I have a HH Lite2 and am very happy with it. I would have liked to get the HH Pro model for the mechanical keyswitches I have never had the chance to try, but no dedicated arrow keys was a bit much for me at the time, and the price was insane to put it mildly. The Pro models have been discontinued in the West since late 2006, but Lite is still for sale and Pro development is obviously not dead in Japan. Those are some kind of new models. Looks like material and visual tweaks mostly, volume and power secondary functions added, what looks like metal casing, and a laser cut text on the bottom. USB 2.0, I guess these older ones are not. Arrow keys remain in a vertical diamond formation far right, so the Pro is still limited to people who have little need for arrow keys. If they just added the Lite's inverted T block, and kept a lid on the price, this would be a no-brainer upgrade for me.