User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

MacRumors (via iPodLounge): new iPods soon + smaller iPad and iPhone 5 in early 2011?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacRumors (via iPodLounge): new iPods soon + smaller iPad and iPhone 5 in early 2011?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-04, 15:01

Sounds weird, but here's the story.

The "iPods soon", of course, is a no-brainer. Apple's put out new iPods in September for the past 154 years.

The smaller iPad and iPhone 5 parts are what got my attention!

Quote:
iPad: A new 7-inch iPad is reportedly scheduled for launch later this year or early next year. Previous reports have similarly indicated that Apple is planning to launch a smaller iPad with a screen sizes in the range of 5-7 inches early next year.
and

Quote:
iPhone: The fifth-generation iPhone may be set to launch as early as January in order to address antenna issues with the iPhone 4. It is unclear whether the new iPhone would be a major redesign or simply a tweak to address the antenna problems. While not mentioned in the report, the redesign could coincide with the much-rumored Verizon iPhone highly anticipated by many potential customers.
That's a little tougher to swallow, although I bet Apple is trying to do something different with this antenna. It's not a matter of "other phones do it too", but, rather, "none of the others probably do it as quickly, or consistently, since people are putting their hands and skin directly on the antenna."

That's always been my question/concern...usually there's some plastic or something between our paws and any phone antenna. I find it hard to believe that direct, skin-to-metal contact is the ideal way to go about it. That can't be the best approach, can it? Shield it or something!

While I don't think they're redesigning the entire damn thing, I do think that perhaps a "skin" or coating of some sort isn't too far out of the question. Probably not a true iPhone 5 as much as an iPhone 4.5 (even though it would still be called on iPhone 4)?
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2010-08-04, 15:17

Like you said the iPod is a given but the iPhone update sounds a bit weird.

I think it would really make iPhone 4 users feel a bit cheesed off. I mean most will be locked into a 18 or 24 month contract, therefore "stuck" with the antenna problem.

Unless Apple allowed users to upgrade for a discounted price it would end in tears.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-04, 15:27

Yeah, that whole iPhone part is hard to swallow. Hell, I really can't even imagine a 5-7" iPad. I guess that would sit directly between the iPhone/iPod touch and the full-size iPad, in terms of size. I hate "middle-ground, neither here nor there" products, though.

But that would put it in a size more like a typical paperback book. That might be appealing to many.

As for the iPhone (4.5, 5, etc.), I'll believe it when I see it. Although it does make me (again) reconsider my purchase (hey, what hasn't?)

But seriously...if these rumors prove to be strong and legit, and more evidence pops up, it'll be tough for me to buy in November or so (assuming the white ones are even shipping by then anyway), if there's going to be something tweaked a month or two later.
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-08-04, 15:29

I read that earlier, and have been reading the comments.

OMG!!WTF!! What a total bunch of whiners with overly developed sense of entitlement.

It's absolutely astounding how many posters on there exclaim how 'pissed' they will be if Apple updates the iPhone before next summer because they will suddenly not have the latest generation iPhone. One even stated that it would be enough for him to leave the iPhone and AT&T for Verizon and Android. Seriously, how stupid are these people.

Apple is always being ridiculed for their slow update cycle. And now they're going to get blasted if they speed it up.

I don't have a problem with Apple sticking to their once a year roll-out, but then I don't have a problem if they decide to switch to semi-annual. I'm not that dependent on having the latest/greatest of something and it's really sad that others appear to be.

Simply pathetic.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2010-08-04, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I read that earlier, and have been reading the comments.

OMG!!WTF!! What a total bunch of whiners with overly developed sense of entitlement.

It's absolutely astounding how many posters on there exclaim how 'pissed' they will be if Apple updates the iPhone before next summer because they will suddenly not have the latest generation iPhone. One even stated that it would be enough for him to leave the iPhone and AT&T for Verizon and Android. Seriously, how stupid are these people.

Apple is always being ridiculed for their slow update cycle. And now they're going to get blasted if they speed it up.

I don't have a problem with Apple sticking to their once a year roll-out, but then I don't have a problem if they decide to switch to semi-annual. I'm not that dependent on having the latest/greatest of something and it's really sad that others appear to be.

Simply pathetic.
I think the issue is that if Apple produces an iPhone 4.5 whose only difference is the antenna. Then that sucks. As it is basically saying yes it is a problem, now we have fixed it, but anyone who adopted early is stuck for the next 2 years.

If it s a brand new phone with super new features then yes that is cool.
¡Damned!

2010-08-04, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
But that would put it in a size more like a typical paperback book. That might be appealing to many.
I know of one.
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-08-04, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
I think the issue is that if Apple produces an iPhone 4.5 whose only difference is the antenna. Then that sucks. As it is basically saying yes it is a problem, now we have fixed it, but anyone who adopted early is stuck for the next 2 years.

If it s a brand new phone with super new features then yes that is cool.
First, no one knows if it will have any kind of antenna re-design, and if so, whether that will be the only change. And many of the posters I am referring to in no way constrain their potential anger to such conditions.

edit: Case in point
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrumors idiot
If it were just the antenna thing, I wouldn't care if they released a "fixed" iPhone. But if they actually make improvements to it, say a 64MB option (an option which I was hugely disappointed to see IP4 didn't have), I will be pi$$ed.
and another:
Quote:
Originally Posted by another macrumors idiot
Apple will lose credibility if they renew the same line every 6 months, especially if they promote themselves as being the BMW of the computer world. People will not accept paying a premium price and having an outdated product in just 6 month. They would accept this with an Acer but not with an Apple
But even if that's all it were - everyone had plenty of opportunity to return their iPhone 4. Steve Jobs clearly stated that while they think the antenna is a great design, they are constantly looking to improve it. In other words, they have been, and will continue to see if they can design the antenna to be even better. So if they find some way to improve it in the next few months - should they sit on that for an extra 6-9 months just so the early adopters don't get their panties in a wad? Hell no.

If the iPhone as it currently stands is not sufficient for your needs, regardless of reason - return it. If you choose to keep it, you do so knowing exactly how it performs, and accept whatever limitations it may have.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-04, 15:56

But I want another $100 credit!

Apple's like "go kiss a duck...you'll get a $29 bumper and like it!"

Man, I ain't ever gonna get a new iPhone!

Because I will just wait until January if these rumors have any weight to them. And with the way the white rollout seems to be going, I'm probably going to be waiting until December or so anyway.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-08-04, 17:55

I think that a true eBook reader, using an ePaper display, could be a hit. The iPad is brilliant, but it's a lot more than a reader and as a consequence is not ideal for that specific task.

Needs to be lighter, legible in harsh light, have longer battery life.

The rest of the market isn't perfect either: despite sporting some of these features, most devices feel like quasi proprietary attempts to protect corporate retail storefronts. They don't have that overall finish, simplicity, control and integration - like an iTunes - to really sell the concept to readers and non readers a like.

There's still a great opportunity here to go the market in a way not unlike that of the original iPod-iTunes model: forging a direct relationship with content producers (publishers) and consumers (readers). iPod proves that it can be a significant market for those who get it right, and that the bricks and mortar shops often don't. Looks liek an opportunity...

zippy
Veteran Member

2010-08-04, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I think that a true eBook reader, using an ePaper display, could be a hit. The iPad is brilliant, but it's a lot more than a reader and as a consequence is not ideal for that specific task.

Needs to be lighter, legible in harsh light, have longer battery life.

The rest of the market isn't perfect either: despite sporting some of these features, most devices feel like quasi proprietary attempts to protect corporate retail storefronts. They don't have that overall finish, simplicity, control and integration - like an iTunes - to really sell the concept to readers and non readers a like.

There's still a great opportunity here to go the market in a
I think there is, and will continue to be, a market for good, dedicated eReaders.

I just don't think Apple is interested in that market.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-08-04, 18:59

Not so sure. They went through the trouble of creating the iBookstore. Granted the iPad has a significantly broader range of functions than a reader, all for a reasonable price, but it is a new computing paradigm they're trying for with iPad. A new reading, lending, book buying paradigm is right there too, all it really needs is a simpler device, cheaper device...

Eugene
careful with axes

2010-08-04, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I think there is, and will continue to be, a market for good, dedicated eReaders.

I just don't think Apple is interested in that market.
Especially not with improvements in display technology. Apple doesn't need to create a dedicated eBook reader when natural convergence will take place. We've already seen some nice demos of hybrid eInk/LCD displays.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-08-04, 19:14

sounds intriguing, links?
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-08-04, 19:43

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I know of one.
And I know of another.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-08-04, 19:55

Quote:
sounds intriguing, links?
Here's one: http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/03/v...d-at-computex/

I'll add more links as I scour for them.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-08-04, 20:23

I remember when the very first iPod came out. We had been expecting the Newton revival, finally, the great useable PDA, handheld nirvana! Instead we got a music player/storage device. I criticized it like crazy, what, it just plays music? Big deal. But that's exactly what made it great.

eReaders are the same thing waiting to happen all over again. We may come at it through convergence of technologies and the evolution of the iPad, I think very likely you're right about that. So unlike the iPod which went from narrow to wide focus, iPad works the other way within that continuum, at least for books. However, the market could be substantial. Already some prominent retailers and publishers estimate that the e-market will exceed the paper market. There's huge possibility for pod-cast like serialization and independent publishing (while actually getting paid)

If Apple's working the publishers, and can deliver goods to the consumer, I think it's a market they're very interested in.

BTW, thanks for the link Eugene, something like that would make quite a display technology for an updated Macbook Air...

Eugene
careful with axes

2010-08-04, 22:57

I don't think the market works the other way ... at all. Technology is the enabler that turned the iPod into the iPhone/Touch. Technology will again transform the iPad into a platform that is 90% as good as Amazon's Kindle hardware.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-08-05, 09:34

Yeah, you're right, and there's Amazon's big head start. I'm making it sound like the iPad should just become an eReader, which is obviously a step backwards for that product, most people, me included, want to see it become even more, not less.

I think though, that as service providers and content creators figure out ways to better utilize "the cloud" lots of simpler, single focus devices also make sense as well. A lot of it simply depends on what sort of arrangements can be reached with content creators, none of whom will make their wares exclusive to any one storefront - they need to be everywhere the customers are. They're on iTunes because a lot of customers are on it.

Bookstores have an interesting dilemma: they need to tie people to their storefront without unduly restricting content flexibility on people's personal devices. If I buy a Kindle, can I buy books from B&N? Or if I buy a Nook can I buy from Amazon? I honestly don't know, I've not bothered with an eBook reader yet. I probably would have bought a Kindle for free mobile internet if whispernet were any good and/or available in Canada - which I admit proves your point, but wouldn't really make it a better book reader

The reader device may be less important than the electronic store, and this is where I think Apple, even without any sort of head start in the ebook space, has huge advantages over existing stores (bricks&mortar or electronic).

They offer so much other stuff to get you on an iPod, iPad or iPhone, you buy a little basic music only device like the shuffle, or a super smartphone, or a mobile web platform like the iPad, and they all tie back into the iTMS retail system. A system that's pretty good at letting you use your content how you like - be it books, music, TV, or movies - on your devices.

When more people are on iPads compared to Kindles, Nooks etc... the brand value of those devices changes significantly. Amazon and B&N are trying to use the reader to protect the storefront, but short of giving them away for free, it might not work.

Once the iStore gets so far ahead, it's not too difficult to imagine a subset of iPad, just as the shuffle is to the iPod Touch, cheap, cheerful, works for the task at hand.

Jason
Veteran Member

2010-08-05, 12:47

I can't see a new iPhone before next June.
Jason
Veteran Member

2010-08-05, 12:54

Quote:

As for the iPhone (4.5, 5, etc.), I'll believe it when I see it. Although it does make me (again) reconsider my purchase (hey, what hasn't?)

First you're gonna wait for the white model, now you're toying with an unannounced 4.5 version.

Paul, seriously, drop whatever you're doing right now. Get in the car and head to the store. Buy your phone now. Stop wasting time!!!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-05, 20:16

That's just it...I can't!

AT&T has none, last I checked, Best Buy was out too, as of two days ago. And who knows what Radio Shack is like...they're probably still trying to fill waiting list orders from June 25. That store is like a "Hee Haw" sketch, only not as well crafted.

Believe me, I (briefly) toyed with the idea..."get the black iPhone 4, and put a white cover on it, goober!"

BTW, I talked to a guy today, here in town, who said he has experienced zero troubles with his iPhone 4 (he might've been scratt's cousin or something?)

But seriously, he was happy as can be. Idiot that I am, it never occurred to me to ask to see it, and try the "grip o' death" technique myself to see what would happen.

Chances are, once the white ones hit, I'll be getting one. Provided that between now and then, this "4.5 in January" rumor doesn't gain significant steam and start to sound like a legit, "gonna happen" release.

As it stands now, Jason, I'm out to make a point...I wanted the white. So I'm not going to be a pussy about it all and cave now, just because I'm faced with a slight delay. Sometimes the waiting is worth it...Tom Petty doesn't know everything.

sunrain
Veteran Member

2010-08-05, 20:41

Plus, if he bought the phone, *actually using and enjoying it* would take up valuable time where he could be posting speculation about it instead.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-08-05, 21:07

Hold off.
I heard that they're coming out with a MacPhone Pro in 2011.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-05, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain View Post
Plus, if he bought the phone, *actually using and enjoying it* would take up valuable time where he could be posting speculation about it instead.
Exactly.

It ain't my fault the white ones aren't out. If they'd hit in late July, as planned, I'd have one right now! I would only wait and see what happens in January if the white iPhones don't hit the streets until late November or December. If they came out next week, I'd go stand in line at 6:30am like a dork and buy one! No problem or doubt.

I'd kinda like to, ya know?

But if I'm gonna wait 4-5 months, I can easily wait one more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Hold off.
I heard that they're coming out with a MacPhone Pro in 2011.

I've got freight elevator spy shots, if you're interested. They're bringing back Blue Dalmatian, believe it or not!
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-08-06, 04:25

Wait, I've heard they will finally fix the antenna problem in 2012, with................. an external aerial.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-08-06, 14:18

A helmet mounted unit would be awesome!
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-08-06, 16:59

Quote:
A helmet mounted unit would be awesome!
Stop it please. I cant handle it................................................ ... ................Oh you mean THAT kind of helmet!! Oops..................
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-06, 22:28

Annual iPod event is rumored to take place in mid-August (16th or 17th?) instead of the usual September timeframe.

Yay!

Article mentions the iLife update being part of it too.
Fullthrottledesigns

2010-08-09, 12:07

So my Verizon contract is up at the end of the year and I was hoping for an iPhone from Verizon by then but should I switch to AT&T or just get a Droid X? I am lost as what to get with all the new phones...
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-08-09, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullthrottledesigns View Post
So my Verizon contract is up at the end of the year and I was hoping for an iPhone from Verizon by then but should I switch to AT&T or just get a Droid X? I am lost as what to get with all the new phones...
The consistent rumor has been Verizon in January. Since your contract lasts through the end of the year, I'd wait until at least the end of January before I made a decision.